What to say when people ask....

Options

Replies

• MissJacquelineN
    MissJacquelineN Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually start by saying "it's this great new plan, everyone who is losing weight is doing it!" ... I'll really get them pulled in by all the positives, and then I really give it to them- "It's called exercising and portion control!" I usually get that 'I really hate you' look and then conversation ends.
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Most people who ask usually accept the "portion control & exercise" answer. Every so often though, someone will snidely remark "Yeah, but its easy for GUYS to lose weight!" SERIOUSLY?! My only response to that is "Really? Did you spend 2 hours in the gym, for 4-5 days, last week? Did you count your calories for EVERY meal? Are you making any valid effort whatsoever to lose your weight? Did you stop eating garbage everyday while every one around you has no regard for their health? That's what i'm doing and if you are too, and haven't lost any weight, then yeah I guess I have it easy."

Sorry... I might have derailed a tad, I had to vent a little. I just wish some people would keep their mouths shut, instead of doing nothing but making my blood boil. I guess in the future, when i've made even more progress, I won't care as much...*sigh*

Maybe my response from now on should be "I'd love to tell you how I lost weight, but I can't. It was a secret government project and i'm not at liberty to comment on it just yet."
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    My answer will always be Ice Cream.

And bacon.

Mmmmmmm... Bacon Ice Cream...

:p.....

Actually bacon ice cream is pretty gross. Some things should just be kept apart...
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I used to say "Stress, Tequila and men"...they seem to accept that answer better than watching my diet and working out.

tumblr_mocxwxVSVj1qfe3loo1_250.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended when people ask me how I stay fit. We usually end up in a conversation about their lives. Not everyone wants to change, but if someone does, I'm happy to offer encouragement and help in any ways that I can.

P.S. It never hurts to support one's friends when they get in shape, by noticing and saying something positive. Sometimes that's all people are trying to do when they ask how one lost weight.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I agree, people seem so disappointed when I say I stopped eating junk & started exercising more.

I'm going to start making things up.

"oh, the dog food diet"

"I only eat foods that start with the letter C"

"I only eat on days that end in Y"
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds and no one has noticed yet or at least they haven't asked me how I've done it. That's understandable since I have a long way to go, but I have noticed changes myself in how I look and feel. If they have noticed, they may be thinking I won't be able to continue and will fall off the wagon. Or that it's a fluke & I will gain it all back. When they do ask, because eventually they will notice as I continue on this long journey and once I weight 150 pounds they won't be able to keep themselves from asking... I have my answer planned. I will tell them that the skinny ***** inside me eventually clawed her way out when I stopped feeding her wine and brie.

But I think the most honest and succinct answer is "food journaling"... eat less, move more, write everything down.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I agree, people seem so disappointed when I say I stopped eating junk & started exercising more.

I'm going to start making things up.

"oh, the dog food diet"

"I only eat foods that start with the letter C"

"I only eat on days that end in Y"
    \

I like this. I think from now on I am going to say:

"I only eat foods that are Naturally the color blue."
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I got tired of the dubious looks when people heard that I just eat less and move more so now I tell them it was crack cocaine and wild sex. They laugh and then are more open to the truth.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I tell them it is simple: Watch 1000 hours of Teletubbies.

They then decide it would be easier to diet and exercise.
  • Ashleymeganlove
    Options
    I had someone ask what my "weight loss secret" was and she was absolutely shocked when I said eating less and exercising. She said, "Oh wow! I should try that!" Umm... What else would you try?
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have been asked this a few times, but mostly people haven't said much. I just say I go to the gym and eat as clean as possible. I figure that if they want to know more, they will ask! I've been told that I don't need to lose anymore, which is hilarious because I've still got another 75lbs to go until I'm 10st/140lbs :laugh:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    tapeworm
    Jump.gif
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Most people who ask usually accept the "portion control & exercise" answer. Every so often though, someone will snidely remark "Yeah, but its easy for GUYS to lose weight!" SERIOUSLY?! My only response to that is "Really? Did you spend 2 hours in the gym, for 4-5 days, last week? Did you count your calories for EVERY meal? Are you making any valid effort whatsoever to lose your weight? Did you stop eating garbage everyday while every one around you has no regard for their health? That's what i'm doing and if you are too, and haven't lost any weight, then yeah I guess I have it easy."

Sorry... I might have derailed a tad, I had to vent a little. I just wish some people would keep their mouths shut, instead of doing nothing but making my blood boil. I guess in the future, when i've made even more progress, I won't care as much...*sigh*

Maybe my response from now on should be "I'd love to tell you how I lost weight, but I can't. It was a secret government project and i'm not at liberty to comment on it just yet."

I get the "it's so easy for guys" response rather often, as well. It makes me question why all guys aren't in good shape and why I didn't get the memo ten years earlier.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    It depends on if I like the person :)

If I do, I tell them the truth - that I've been keeping a very close eye on portion sizes, and eating more wholesome foods. If they're genuinely interested (or if I know they're also interested in actual tools, and not magic bullets) then I tell them about MFP and how I use it to keep me accountable.

If I don't like the person asking, I say I've changed absolutely nothing - I say I still eat fast food 5 times a week and never exercise. My aunt thinks I have hyperthyroidism (hehehe)
  • dmorgan42
    dmorgan42 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just say "first law of thermodynamics".

Yeah, I'm kind of a nerd...
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just say I'm eating less and moving more. I find if I give too many details either their eyes glaze over or they reply with all the reasons why that would never work for them.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I used to say counting calories and exercise but people looked so disappointed, so now I say chocolate. :devil:

Hahaha, let me use that next time!
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    tapeworm

^^ This
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My standard response is "I stopped eating like a pig" :drinker: