Returning to keto/paleo: veg. not working

Replies

• SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    I think I have to return to flat-out text book classic keto or paleo at the minimum. Vegetarian keto, even lacto-ovo-pesco just ain't a-gonna cut it. I tried lacto-ovo-pesco keto, I tried lacto-ovo-pesco 40/35/25 p/c/f. Lacto-ovo-pesco doesn't give enough fat and gives too much carbs. With lacto-ovo-pesco 40/35/25 I can't get enough protein, and I get too much carb! I felt "morally and ethically" good about veg., but I've put on some weight and I feel physically crappy. So I think in the interest of health I need to return to being carnivorous and lipivorous (I think I just made up that word :bigsmile: ). I still like my yogurt and cottage cheese, but if I have to shun them because of their carbs, I will. I've switched to plain unsweetened almond milk which is DA BOMB! I'll track more diligently in MFP to see if the dairy has too much sugar and carb.

I'm a big believer that everyone needs to experiment and find what works for their bodies-there is no one perfect way of eating. Me personally, I'm going in the opposite direction and coming from primal eating to a whole foods, plant based diet. Primal eating was just not a good fit for me and I had to listen to the cues my body was sending me. So far I'm feeling really good and all the side affects I had with primal eating have disappeared (thank goodness lol). But, what works for me isn't going to be what works for someone else!
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    When someone finds the killing of animals appalling, the last appropriate thing to do is to wave killing "extra" animals because I won't eat any. That was what was out of line. Eat how you will, but please don't say that since I don't eat animals you will now kill extra to balance the equation. It is a morally reprehensible statement to me and to say it to my face knowing how I feel/stand is incredibly insulting.

And I wasn't saying that the keto HFLC diet is evil or wrong. I feel that the LFHC vegan diet is healthier, but I wan't putting down any other lifestyle choice. I was just defending the diet and how no one should shoot it down based on an incomplete education on its merits. I've done the HFLC, paleo, etc before and I will admit that I felt amazing on it. Then I switch to this and I feel even better. I'm not cutting down the diet based on its health benefits, as I believe that it is far better than the SAD/lifestyle.

And rgugs13, I was saying it was inappropriate (as stated above) to tell me because I eat less animals you will eat more. Saying you eat animals is one thing, but thats like saying because you're christian I'm going to go blow up a cathedral. Or rape a child. Or something like that. NOT ok, and incredibly insulting on a deeply personal level. THAT was what is out of line with his last statement. Eat animals, go ahead, just don't try to insult my deep set beliefs on the matter by stating something similar to what that gentleman said.

Sir, do you READ what you write? You say you are not attacking our way of eating--that you didn't call it evil or wrong? ARE YOU INSANE????? You basically told us we were immoral and unethical. and your last paragraph is absolutely SCARY IN A UNIBOMBER WAY in your comparisons.

But I have only one question WHY ON EARTH DID YOU COME TO THIS THREAD AND EVEN OPEN YOUR MOUTH???? It is pretty dang obvious to a NORMAL/SANE person that this subject is NOT FOR YOU;. You poor dear--you SHUDDER at the thought of killing an animal for food. WHY WHY WHY are you trolling a thread that is about MEAT EATERS. Why aren't you talking with your Vegan buddies????? Then you don't have be horrified that we wanna talk about meat.

It is 'INCREDIBLY INSULTING ON A DEEP PERSONAL LEVEL" (to quote you) for you to invade a thread that has nothing to do with you and includes folks that don't want to hear from you.

i don't go to the Vegan threads and talk about chopping heads of chickens or hitting cows in the head with a mallet! ooooh and that nice venison sausage from Bambi's daddy. Why don't just stay off the meat eaters threads. Because you want to spout your crap for your cause. and then turn around and play the victim.

I was not saying YOU were attacking me, but instead the fellow that said for every animal I don't eat he would eat 3. THAT is what I felt was insulting and appalling. I have nothing against anything YOU are saying, just against the dope that thought it would be funny to tell me that because I am doing A, for that reason he will triple negate my A just because. It was not appropriate. Please excuse my knee-jerk reaction to an a**-hole that thinks such an action was funny or appropriate.

In addition, the thread states: Returning to keto/paleo: VEG. (meaning Vegan/Vegetarian) not working. I was hoping to lend support if the OP wanted to keep doing it, as he was doing it for religious reasons. Who are YOU to call ME insane?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    WHY were you trying to avoid meat? I've read a number of accounts published by former vegans who describe in detail how their health deteriorated but they refused to acknowledge it. Some of them have permanent damage. I tried vegan briefly in my youth and my body rebelled immediately. Unfortunately, I continued on starving myself on low fat diets for many years after that. :sad:

How does one do Vegetarian keto? I'm not being a jerk, just really curious. It's a high carb diet by design.

My lifestyle can be described as ketogenic Primal, soon to be ketogenic Paleo. I love it and I feel awesome. I don't feel "deprived" at all. If eating ribeye steaks, mushrooms fried in butter and a side salad is other people's idea of an "unsustainable fad diet" so be it. :laugh:

Edit: today's crops and what is done to grow them is no more ethical than eating meat, and far less ethical than eating wild or free range meat. Also, plants are no less alive than an animal. I don't really understand the specieist attitude of many vegetarians/vegans. The death of watersheds, soil organisms, and the widespread use of petroleum products for pesticides and fertilizers seems to matter not at all to them.

Thats why many of us Vegans opt for organic produce to avoid the pesticides and fertilizers. And it is also about making the best choices available. It costs the "lives" of a vast number of plants to make just one pound of beef, so....lesser of two evils is to eat the plants, obviously.

I've never been stronger/healthier/more alive that I am now on a vegan diet. As an athlete I'm getting faster every day and my endurance is going through the roof. I avoid illness and injury, and my blood tests are immaculate. Your arguments are completely invalid and coming from an uneducated stance. Making a blanket statement about the health of veganism without actually having ANY idea about its health benefits when done right shows your ignorance and closed-mindedness about the subject.

I was totally respecting your comment and admiring that you are finding success on your path until: "Your arguments are completely invalid and coming from an uneducated stance. Making a blanket statement about the health of veganism without actually having ANY idea about its health benefits when done right shows your ignorance and closed-mindedness about the subject."

I am NOT ignorant and I am NOT uneducated and I have a right to my own OPINION (which includes direct experience) and to share it. Just like you. You didn't challenge anything I said, just insulted me as a person. Nice.
  • milesvictors
    WHY were you trying to avoid meat? I've read a number of accounts published by former vegans who describe in detail how their health deteriorated but they refused to acknowledge it. Some of them have permanent damage. I tried vegan briefly in my youth and my body rebelled immediately. Unfortunately, I continued on starving myself on low fat diets for many years after that. :sad:

How does one do Vegetarian keto? I'm not being a jerk, just really curious. It's a high carb diet by design.

My lifestyle can be described as ketogenic Primal, soon to be ketogenic Paleo. I love it and I feel awesome. I don't feel "deprived" at all. If eating ribeye steaks, mushrooms fried in butter and a side salad is other people's idea of an "unsustainable fad diet" so be it. :laugh:

Edit: today's crops and what is done to grow them is no more ethical than eating meat, and far less ethical than eating wild or free range meat. Also, plants are no less alive than an animal. I don't really understand the specieist attitude of many vegetarians/vegans. The death of watersheds, soil organisms, and the widespread use of petroleum products for pesticides and fertilizers seems to matter not at all to them.

Thats why many of us Vegans opt for organic produce to avoid the pesticides and fertilizers. And it is also about making the best choices available. It costs the "lives" of a vast number of plants to make just one pound of beef, so....lesser of two evils is to eat the plants, obviously.

I've never been stronger/healthier/more alive that I am now on a vegan diet. As an athlete I'm getting faster every day and my endurance is going through the roof. I avoid illness and injury, and my blood tests are immaculate. Your arguments are completely invalid and coming from an uneducated stance. Making a blanket statement about the health of veganism without actually having ANY idea about its health benefits when done right shows your ignorance and closed-mindedness about the subject.

I was totally respecting your comment and admiring that you are finding success on your path until: "Your arguments are completely invalid and coming from an uneducated stance. Making a blanket statement about the health of veganism without actually having ANY idea about its health benefits when done right shows your ignorance and closed-mindedness about the subject."

I am NOT ignorant and I am NOT uneducated and I have a right to my own OPINION (which includes direct experience) and to share it. Just like you. You didn't challenge anything I said, just insulted me as a person. Nice.

So from your last statement, you then think that the vegan diet is unhealthy? If so, then I guess I understand you, despite disagreeing with you, as I and many others are living a fantastically healthy lifestyle eating this way. I was merely saying that you can't write off an entire diet as unhealthy unless it truly is...and guess what? Its not. In addition, I was not stating you were ignorant and uneducated in general, because you clearly aren't. It was that you don't know enough about vegan nutrition to make a stance on it. You can't take a definitive stance on the VEGAN lifestyle as healthy vs unhealthy as you clearly don't know enough about it. You can be healthy, or at least relatively so, on almost any diet (can't on things like the fast food or twinkie diets out there...). I don't generally write blanket statements about a diet unless there is actual definitive proof against/for it, and proof is a funny thing in that it is often manipulated, changed, and altered to fit the benefit of those doing the study.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Have you checked into carb/calorie cycling? Thats what I did to lose the last 55 lbs of fat. I used the lean gains/IF approach which was awesome...unless you are stuck on Keto. You could even try a 40/40/20 macronutrient split and just find your maintenance, subtract -500 and aim for that. At the end of the day its all calories in vs calories out that determines weight loss. People have lost fat eating only twinkies, and that was because they were in a deficit.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    I wish you well, OP. I hope you find an eating plan that suits your beliefs and body. :flowerforyou:
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member

And my argument previously had nothing to do with evolution at all. It was on the ethics of our food choices. The lesser of two evils was a reference to the fact that we don't need meat to survive, so why cause the deaths of more living things than necessary? It isn't speciesism, its making the smallest footprint. It has everything to do with morality and ethics, as well as environmental impact. We are a higher, more evolved species than any other on the planet. With that comes the responsibility to care for it and make higher, more evolved choices than our primal cousins. We aren't base, soul-less animals, but we are individuals who have the capacity to make humane, ethical, educated, well-thought-out choices. It is what separates us. If you don't see any separation, then go live your primal life in the jungle and lets see how those canines get you through.

Okay, I am going to try this one last time. The above quote is from our resident Vegan. He thinks I am wrong--- says he didn't attack the meat-eating way of life.

I am truly sorry, but I cannot interpret the above paragraph in any other manner. The above paragraph quite plainly states we should make more evolved choices than a primal cousin. So I am a neanderthal or what? I take it we have not 'evolved' to a higher standard of existence? Also states we have the capacity to make humane, ethical, educated, well-thought-out choices. Meaning those who choose NOT to be Vegan are inhumane, unethical and stupid and ? and should go live in the jungle....???

Okay, am I the ONLY ONE that interprets that as an attack? When did ethics only become about animals? I obviously will spend eternity in hell because I spray poison to keep the scorpions and spiders away, I killed a rattler recently on my doorstep cuz I was afraid to pick it up and drive it down the road and set it free (like I did with the tarantula), I put cages around my tomatoes so the dang ground squirrels wouldn't eat them (guess I should only grow food for the animals), etc., and worst of all--I am unethical because I eat meat.

It doesn't matter that I am honest, or that I recycle and drive a Prius, or that I give to charity (for humans), or that I support gay rights (even tho I am not gay), that I love people regardless of their race or religion, that I am a good mother and grandmother (raising my 6-year-old grandson), that I paid for an attorney for a friend from Trinidad to get her green card so she wouldn't be deported, etc etc etc. The ONLY thing that matters is that I am not Vegan, therefore UNethical.

and I guess I 'should' apologize for calling the Resident Vegan "insane." But the more I read the above paragraph (along with his other postings), the more I think about the UNIBOMBER.
  • milesvictors
    To the OP: Good luck with your healthy lifestyle search. If you wanted to stick with vegetarian/veganism, I could offer some help and advice because I am familiar with healthy ways of implementation. I understand you were making the change for religious reasons and, as a religious person myself, I can understand how important that can be for you. If you can find no other way of reconciling dietary vs health disparities, I wish you good luck on your journey.

I also apologize for taking this thread so far off-topic. I think there have been some misunderstandings on all sides that have led to quite the heated discussion that has muddied the waters around your original query.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
  • Shaolin_Life

Lesser of two evils? Human beings have canine teeth evolved for eating meat...why shouldn't we?

Because we simply don't need to. And our teeth are FAR from the teeth of other meat eating species. We don't have the claws and razor sharp teeth to rip into a raw animal's flanks, and our digestive system is far too long to be efficient at digesting meat as well. The "canine" argument is so deeply flawed as two pairs of teeth hardly indicates that we evolved to be carnivorous. Seriously, four teeth in our whole mouth prove that we are like the lions of the savannah? Sure we have the capability to eat meat, but that doesn't mean that our diet 25,000 years ago was meat centric. If anything, we only started to eat meat on any regular basis when we developed tools and weapons, and even then it wasn't without difficulty as our bodies don't digest un-cooked meat well at all. It was the advent of modern man with modern tools and modern cooking methods that allowed us to truly start eating meat, but all of that occurred far after or physical form evolved into what it is today.

And my argument previously had nothing to do with evolution at all. It was on the ethics of our food choices. The lesser of two evils was a reference to the fact that we don't need meat to survive, so why cause the deaths of more living things than necessary? It isn't speciesism, its making the smallest footprint. It has everything to do with morality and ethics, as well as environmental impact.

We are a higher, more evolved species than any other on the planet. With that comes the responsibility to care for it and make higher, more evolved choices than our primal cousins. We aren't base, soul-less animals, but we are individuals who have the capacity to make humane, ethical, educated, well-thought-out choices. It is what separates us. If you don't see any separation, then go live your primal life in the jungle and lets see how those canines get you through.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Shaolin_Life

And my argument previously had nothing to do with evolution at all. It was on the ethics of our food choices. The lesser of two evils was a reference to the fact that we don't need meat to survive, so why cause the deaths of more living things than necessary? It isn't speciesism, its making the smallest footprint. It has everything to do with morality and ethics, as well as environmental impact. We are a higher, more evolved species than any other on the planet. With that comes the responsibility to care for it and make higher, more evolved choices than our primal cousins. We aren't base, soul-less animals, but we are individuals who have the capacity to make humane, ethical, educated, well-thought-out choices. It is what separates us. If you don't see any separation, then go live your primal life in the jungle and lets see how those canines get you through.

Okay, I am going to try this one last time. The above quote is from our resident Vegan. He thinks I am wrong--- says he didn't attack the meat-eating way of life.

I am truly sorry, but I cannot interpret the above paragraph in any other manner. The above paragraph quite plainly states we should make more evolved choices than a primal cousin. So I am a neanderthal or what? I take it we have not 'evolved' to a higher standard of existence? Also states we have the capacity to make humane, ethical, educated, well-thought-out choices. Meaning those who choose NOT to be Vegan are inhumane, unethical and stupid and ? and should go live in the jungle....???

Okay, am I the ONLY ONE that interprets that as an attack? When did ethics only become about animals? I obviously will spend eternity in hell because I spray poison to keep the scorpions and spiders away, I killed a rattler recently on my doorstep cuz I was afraid to pick it up and drive it down the road and set it free (like I did with the tarantula), I put cages around my tomatoes so the dang ground squirrels wouldn't eat them (guess I should only grow food for the animals), etc., and worst of all--I am unethical because I eat meat.

It doesn't matter that I am honest, or that I recycle and drive a Prius, or that I give to charity (for humans), or that I support gay rights (even tho I am not gay), that I love people regardless of their race or religion, that I am a good mother and grandmother (raising my 6-year-old grandson), that I paid for an attorney for a friend from Trinidad to get her green card so she wouldn't be deported, etc etc etc. The ONLY thing that matters is that I am not Vegan, therefore UNethical.

and I guess I 'should' apologize for calling the Resident Vegan "insane." But the more I read the above paragraph (along with his other postings), the more I think about the UNIBOMBER.

Unabomber, huh?

The "Meat-Eating Life" as you call it, SHOULD be attacked for a myriad of reasons. It's just really inconvenient for most people to hear about, so theysay it's all B.S.

Support all the causes you want....You should. That makes you nice to those causes. Good job.

Many species of pigs raised for slaughter (for one example) are more intelligent than most species of dogs or cats, any horse, or any parakeet....You say you're "honest"...Can you honestly say raising, killing, then eating an animal as smart (or smarter) as Lassie is ethical?

We lock people up in jail for doing things to their dogs, horse, cats, etc. that are are FAR less grievous than the things we have our proxies in the factory-meat industry do to pigs a MILLION times a week.

Millions.

Some people just don't care how they're (the pigs, cows, calves, lambs and chickens) treated....Then this: Can we deny the environmental damage caused by trying to feed all these animals?

I recommend a book called "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer, to start. It's very informative, and while you may still choose to eat meat, you'll have a new perspective on it in your mind.
  • Shaolin_Life
    :wink:
    When someone finds the killing of animals appalling, the last appropriate thing to do is to wave killing "extra" animals because I won't eat any. That was what was out of line. Eat how you will, but please don't say that since I don't eat animals you will now kill extra to balance the equation. It is a morally reprehensible statement to me and to say it to my face knowing how I feel/stand is incredibly insulting.

And I wasn't saying that the keto HFLC diet is evil or wrong. I feel that the LFHC vegan diet is healthier, but I wan't putting down any other lifestyle choice. I was just defending the diet and how no one should shoot it down based on an incomplete education on its merits. I've done the HFLC, paleo, etc before and I will admit that I felt amazing on it. Then I switch to this and I feel even better. I'm not cutting down the diet based on its health benefits, as I believe that it is far better than the SAD/lifestyle.

And rgugs13, I was saying it was inappropriate (as stated above) to tell me because I eat less animals you will eat more. Saying you eat animals is one thing, but thats like saying because you're christian I'm going to go blow up a cathedral. Or rape a child. Or something like that. NOT ok, and incredibly insulting on a deeply personal level. THAT was what is out of line with his last statement. Eat animals, go ahead, just don't try to insult my deep set beliefs on the matter by stating something similar to what that gentleman said.

Sir, do you READ what you write? You say you are not attacking our way of eating--that you didn't call it evil or wrong? ARE YOU INSANE????? You basically told us we were immoral and unethical. and your last paragraph is absolutely SCARY IN A UNIBOMBER WAY in your comparisons.

But I have only one question WHY ON EARTH DID YOU COME TO THIS THREAD AND EVEN OPEN YOUR MOUTH???? It is pretty dang obvious to a NORMAL/SANE person that this subject is NOT FOR YOU;. You poor dear--you SHUDDER at the thought of killing an animal for food. WHY WHY WHY are you trolling a thread that is about MEAT EATERS. Why aren't you talking with your Vegan buddies????? Then you don't have be horrified that we wanna talk about meat.

It is 'INCREDIBLY INSULTING ON A DEEP PERSONAL LEVEL" (to quote you) for you to invade a thread that has nothing to do with you and includes folks that don't want to hear from you.

i don't go to the Vegan threads and talk about chopping heads of chickens or hitting cows in the head with a mallet! ooooh and that nice venison sausage from Bambi's daddy. Why don't just stay off the meat eaters threads. Because you want to spout your crap for your cause. and then turn around and play the victim.

Why are you yelling?

A little guilt creeping in?

Did you know most pigs are smarter than most dogs? Probably just dirty vee-gan propaganda...:ohwell:

:bigsmile: Is it ethical for you to raise 10 million Fidos (a week) in cages, then hit 10 million Fidos (a week) "in the head with a mallet" (your words) and eat 10 million of him (a week)? MilesVictors is no victim, he's an adult, he's done the research (as I have) ...and he hasn't lost control of himself, as you did.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    WordofSaur_zps31dcb283.jpg

In
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member

You sound angry.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    I have tried this diet and that diet most of my life with varying success, none of which was sustained. When I found MFP I decided I was going to improve my diet and eat healthy for life. I started researching Superfoods and incorporating them into my diet. Yes I eat Ribeye's and all kinds of beef, fish, turkey pork etc. I was hungry in the beginning, but found an added bonus in eating healthier I was able to eat larger and larger amount of food without increasing my calories. I have only been doing this for for about 55 days but I am very happy with it as I have lost 18 pounds. I try to come as close as I can to my macros on MFP however I am not always able to eat all the calories that are recommended. I don't worry about this too much because usually my macros are very close. I am eating for health and feeding my body. I am done with diet this and diet that. I'll just follow my MFP plan stay under on calories and line up my macros eating great healthy food.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    To the vegans being pushy and abusive to the people who eat meat. Your way is not the only way. You are making yourself look foolish.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    WordofSaur_zps31dcb283.jpg

In

In...

...to see which side will prevail in moral superiority this time.
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Ive always thought that the human brain evolved because it ate cooked meat ?
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    I find it pretty humorous that the #1 Vegan that got on here and blasted all the meat eaters and ranted rather wildly, then said he didn't....THEN turned around and deleted his stuff. If you believe what you write, then why delete it?

AND He sent me a personal message again telling me I should go Vegan.

Now that #1 Vegan removed his comments, the others (probably his buddies) have come out of the workwork to attack poor little meat-eating me. Ooooh, they think I may be 'angry' ? I am not angry. I am just sick and tired of SOME Vegans and their only mission in life to call us UNethical??? Don't they really understand that we DON"t CARE that they are Vegan. Why do they care that we are not?

And yes, to one of them....I do know that pigs are intelligent. As a matter of fact, I feel they may be more intelligent that several folks I know.....yep, you get my message. I find it rather ridiculous that you are now UNITING to insult me.

P.S. My best friend since age 12 is Vegan. She and I have no issues. She respects my way of living and I respect hers. She doesn't try the Militant Conversion Act on anyone. Does that make her Less Vegan in your eyes?