Cheat day?

Options
Who thinks its okay to have a cheat day? If you think its okay, how often? I wanted to do one once every other week. But I feel like it should be once a week? Is that too much? On a daily basis I eat either a little under or over 1,000 calories and burn about 200-300any thoughts?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Remain at a deficit to lose weight.

Your body does not understand a "cheat day" or any other day. It understands energy balance.

You're eating far too few calories for a healthy and sustainable dietary intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need. I eat the things I love within my calories, and if I go a bit over I work it out of my weekly deficit.

You really should be eating more than 1000 a day, though.
  • mommasita55
    mommasita55 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, because I am too likely to derail myself :( So instead I eat pretty much everything, just watch portions and log everything and then I don't feel deprived. Some days I am over my goal for the day, and that's ok too!
  • cYcLIcZA
    cYcLIcZA Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do it if you can handle it. It can turn into cheat DAYS if you don't have the discipline. Go low fat, high carb. Stay under maintainance calories. When I do cheats, I only give myself room to play with the macros not the calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Well first off...stop calling it a "cheat"...gives it a bad vibe.

2nd...as long as you are in a deficit overall you are good...I typically look at my weekly totals.

As well I have my treats everyday...check my diary....eating my chocolate bar as I type.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You're only cheating yourself, right?

If you feel the need to have to cheat, you're doing it wrong.
  • suzieannfat
    suzieannfat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay I won't call it a cheat day anymore and I agree that it can turn into cheat days, very quickly and easily. However I eat mainly veggies and protein during the week I don't let myself have stuff that I love to eat. I'm okay with the calorie intake I have I usually only eat once a day or when my tummy growls because I have a huge problem with eating when I'm not hungry.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1000 calories is a way to lose not only some belly fat but some of your hair for example. I've had it happening to me when I cluelessly went on a low cal diet few years ago.

As for cheat days, why would you need them and what do they mean to you? Not logging? If you log 6 days a week it becomes a habit. 1 day hardly makes a difference. To eat without any control? You can easily cancel your whole week's effort if you stuff yourself for 1 day. To have food you love? Have it all the time. I eat ice-cream daily for example. That's more than before I started my WL journey. I also had some chips, chocolate and popcorn recently. Not lots, not at the same time. But I definitely don't feel deprived and I'm on 1200 cal plan. So why would you starve yourself for 6 days, depriving yourself of food you like just to overeat for 1 day and possibly sabotage your WL progress?
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No "planned" cheat days for me. They just happen. A business lunch, a meal out with family or friends. No need to be paranoid and order celery and tomatoes when you are out. Just watch yourself and order sensibly without going overboard.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Well first off...stop calling it a "cheat"...gives it a bad vibe.

2nd...as long as you are in a deficit overall you are good...I typically look at my weekly totals.

As well I have my treats everyday...check my diary....eating my chocolate bar as I type.

This^ is why I love you.....I didn't even have to type it!
  • suzieannfat
    Options
    taentea wrote: »
    Eating under 1000 calories is a way to lose not only some belly fat but some of your hair for example. I've had it happening to me when I cluelessly went on a low cal diet few years ago.

As for cheat days, why would you need them and what do they mean to you? Not logging? If you log 6 days a week it becomes a habit. 1 day hardly makes a difference. To eat without any control? You can easily cancel your whole week's effort if you stuff yourself for 1 day. To have food you love? Have it all the time. I eat ice-cream daily for example. That's more than before I started my WL journey. I also had some chips, chocolate and popcorn recently. Not lots, not at the same time. But I definitely don't feel deprived and I'm on 1200 cal plan. So why would you starve yourself for 6 days, depriving yourself of food you like just to overeat for 1 day and possibly sabotage your WL progress?

Excuse me. I log 7 days a week a cheat day for me is having one day to taste something I love. Like pizza or a McDonalds burger not binging endlessly. I don't starve myself all week I just make sure I only eat when my stomach growls. I feel deprived, yes but for instance I know that I can't just stop at a handful of chips if I taste one. But eating my fruits and veggies all week makes me feel better and knowing I have a day at the end of the week to taste some Chinese chicken makes me feel even better and less deprived. Like I had a cheat day last week got some Chinese had a monster and was still 600 under my calorie goal. I'd never over eat with no control again. Its just kind of like a comfort.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Okay I won't call it a cheat day anymore and I agree that it can turn into cheat days, very quickly and easily. However I eat mainly veggies and protein during the week I don't let myself have stuff that I love to eat. I'm okay with the calorie intake I have I usually only eat once a day or when my tummy growls because I have a huge problem with eating when I'm not hungry.

@suzieannfat I do the same as well with veggies and protein...but I love chocolate and it fits in my goals...so why not have it..

Are you not ever going to have those foods again when you hit goal weight????

and as a side note....your user name...well...just my opinion...has gotta go...it's self defeating.

• suzieannfat
    Options
    tdecel wrote: »
    No "planned" cheat days for me. They just happen. A business lunch, a meal out with family or friends. No need to be paranoid and order celery and tomatoes when you are out. Just watch yourself and order sensibly without going overboard.

Ahh I like that but I rarely let myself go out anymore unless I'm shoved into it then I get a salad lol but I like your idea.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Excuse me. I log 7 days a week a cheat day for me is having one day to taste something I love. Like pizza or a McDonalds burger not binging endlessly. I don't starve myself all week I just make sure I only eat when my stomach growls. I feel deprived, yes but for instance I know that I can't just stop at a handful of chips if I taste one. But eating my fruits and veggies all week makes me feel better and knowing I have a day at the end of the week to taste some Chinese chicken makes me feel even better and less deprived. Like I had a cheat day last week got some Chinese had a monster and was still 600 under my calorie goal. I'd never over eat with no control again. Its just kind of like a comfort.

Many people around here will eat fruits and veggies all day, but then add in a small treat at the end (I'm eating some gelato as we speak after I've made sure I hit my macros for the day). That's the thing with moderation...you aren't depriving yourself, yet you aren't overeating. If you can't do just one serving of chips, then yes it's best to abstain from them.

And she was right about undereating...1200 is the minimum calorie recommendation for women to ensure you're getting enough nutrients (and that's net, after exercise). Undereating consistently can lead to muscle loss, hair loss, weakened organs, exhaustion, irregular/stopped menstrual cycles, and the list goes on. You may feel fine now, but it can happen.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Many people around here will eat fruits and veggies all day, but then add in a small treat at the end (I'm eating some gelato as we speak after I've made sure I hit my macros for the day). That's the thing with moderation...you aren't depriving yourself, yet you aren't overeating. If you can't do just one serving of chips, then yes it's best to abstain from them.

And she was right about undereating...1200 is the minimum calorie recommendation for women to ensure you're getting enough nutrients (and that's net, after exercise). Undereating consistently can lead to muscle loss, hair loss, weakened organs, exhaustion, irregular/stopped menstrual cycles, and the list goes on. You may feel fine now, but it can happen.

Add me to the list of VLCD idiots who lost hair and felt completely exhausted and crabby all the time. Now I am down 60 pounds and have figured out how to work treats into my diet--sometimes it's once a week (not a cheat day!), sometimes it's a few times a week. That poster was right, "excuse me" nothing OP.
  • taentea
    taentea Posts: 91 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's why I asked you what a cheat day means to you. So it's just eating food you don't usually eat while still watching your calories? Many here would not even see it as a cheat day. Some people intentionally save calories during the week to have a bigger meal on the weekend. That's hardly cheating. More like budgeting.

I've stuck to a more or less Paleo diet for the first few weeks of my WL. And it actually was alright. I was not suffering. But once I began to add treats to my daily menu it feels so much better. It almost feels too good to be true. I never had so many guilt-free treats in my life. And yeah. Can't say no to chips either. That's why I buy a 40g pack and write full can calories to my snacks before having any. It's my way though. You may have a different one. It's ok.

Make sure your weekly calorie intake is not too low though. Yes you may feel fine eating below 1000. Heck, I can feel perfectly fine eating 700 or so. But last time I lost half of my hair I also felt perfectly fine. And the problem had a bit of delay actually. I was not even dieting anymore when it appeared and I could do very little to help it. Just be careful.
  • suzieannfat
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I understand this. I'll just eat a tablespoon of peanut butter or something at the end of the day, But thanks for under standing about the whole can't just eat one chip or two scoops of ice cream. I have to eat veggies and fruits and I enjoy it. But I like other food, too once in awhile.
  • suzieannfat
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

@suzieannfat I do the same as well with veggies and protein...but I love chocolate and it fits in my goals...so why not have it..

Are you not ever going to have those foods again when you hit goal weight????

and as a side note....your user name...well...just my opinion...has gotta go...it's self defeating.

It doesn't bother me. Hahah I hardly notice it until someone points it out. No I'm gonna eat it for the rest of my life. Before I never ate veggies or anything It was always McDonalds or subway or stuff like that never sat down and had a salad or a sliced up cucumbers.
  • suzieannfat
    Options
    What exactly are macros? Daily vitamins?
  • suzieannfat
    Options
    You're only cheating yourself, right?

If you feel the need to have to cheat, you're doing it wrong.
    Yeah I suppose that's true but millions of people do it this way.