FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Where can I find these magical peas of mint?

I assume any supermarket in the frozen vegetable area. Unless frozen mint peas are an Australian thing.

I hope this is not another fairy bread thing, wherein we discover that those in other countries are deprived of life's great joys.

Yeah it kind of puts things into perspective. How lucky we are.

Australia must be one of the best countries in the world just for the simple fact we have fairy bread.

But every single animal in your country can kill you. Everything. If it flys, crawls, swims or walks it will probably be able to kill you.

I love the country though :)

And yet America has rattlesnakes, mountain lions, bears...at least our deadly creatures are less aggressive and more easily avoided! ;)

Though I do recall rollerblading up my street and seeing a six foot brown snake in the gutter when I was young. It didn't even look at me.

We've got badgers and foxes and cows

:)

badgers can be quite vicious!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Great. Now I'm deprived of Talenti gelato *and* minty peas?

*stomps off*
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    Good post

how about you add..../ Muscle weighs more than fat.....(No, 1lb of Fat is the same of 1lb of muscle)

I've never understood this. Yes I understand density. However making a blank statement that 1kg of muscle weighs the same as 1kg of fat and therefore fat and muscle weigh the same is ridiculous. It creates the impression that everything weights the same. A kilo of feathers and a kilo of lead does weigh the same because both weigh 1 kilo, however, the volume of feathers needed to make up that kilo is FAR more than the volume of lead needed.

One cubic cm of muscle does NOT weigh the same as 1 cubic cm of fat. Therefore if one compares volume and not merely 1kg with 1kg then muscle and fat do not in fact weigh the same.

1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead do weigh the same. Drop them in a vacuum (or where air resistance is not a factor) and they fall at exactly the same rate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_Leaning_Tower_of_Pisa_experiment

Kg is mass, and mass alone.
    Weight is the force on mass due to gravity.

1 kg of fat weighs the same as 1 kg of muscle. 1 kg of fat is less dense (and by definition takes more volume) than 1 kg of muscle.

• bpetrosky
    Great. Now I'm deprived of Talenti gelato *and* minty peas?

*stomps off*

And Tillamook. Don't forget the Tillamook.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Where can I find these magical peas of mint?

I assume any supermarket in the frozen vegetable area. Unless frozen mint peas are an Australian thing.

I hope this is not another fairy bread thing, wherein we discover that those in other countries are deprived of life's great joys.

Yeah it kind of puts things into perspective. How lucky we are.

Australia must be one of the best countries in the world just for the simple fact we have fairy bread.

But every single animal in your country can kill you. Everything. If it flys, crawls, swims or walks it will probably be able to kill you.

I love the country though :)

And yet America has rattlesnakes, mountain lions, bears...at least our deadly creatures are less aggressive and more easily avoided! ;)

Though I do recall rollerblading up my street and seeing a six foot brown snake in the gutter when I was young. It didn't even look at me.

We've got badgers and foxes and cows

:)

Oh my!
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Don't forget the squirrels and rabbits!
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Yep!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Wildstorms wrote: »

We have rabbits in Australia too. See them ever now and they running about.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Wildstorms wrote: »

We have rabbits in Australia too. See them ever now and they running about.

And foxes too. Silly English settlers bringing things to hunt for sport, all those many years ago!
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    I agree with all of this. I thought in the past that losing weight meant that I had to be miserable. No more pasta or chocolate or midnight snacks. PSHT! I lost 80 pounds before becoming pregnant with my youngest son 3 years ago and I ate anything I wanted, any time I wanted - I just learned the key was moderation!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Good post

how about you add..../ Muscle weighs more than fat.....(No, 1lb of Fat is the same of 1lb of muscle)

I've never understood this. Yes I understand density. However making a blank statement that 1kg of muscle weighs the same as 1kg of fat and therefore fat and muscle weigh the same is ridiculous. It creates the impression that everything weights the same. A kilo of feathers and a kilo of lead does weigh the same because both weigh 1 kilo, however, the volume of feathers needed to make up that kilo is FAR more than the volume of lead needed.

One cubic cm of muscle does NOT weigh the same as 1 cubic cm of fat. Therefore if one compares volume and not merely 1kg with 1kg then muscle and fat do not in fact weigh the same.

1 kg of feathers and 1 kg of lead do weigh the same. Drop them in a vacuum (or where air resistance is not a factor) and they fall at exactly the same rate.

1 kg of fat weighs the same as 1 kg of muscle. 1 kg of fat is less dense (and by definition takes more volume) than 1 kg of muscle.

That's... what they said? 1 kg is 1 kg but if someone says X weighs more than Y it's obvious that they mean the same volume of both or else you'd only be left with Captain Obvious sentences like 1 kg of beer weighs less than 2 kg of sausage.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Good post

That's... what they said? 1 kg is 1 kg but if someone says X weighs more than Y it's obvious that they mean the same volume of both or else you'd only be left with Captain Obvious sentences like 1 kg of beer weighs less than 2 kg of sausage.

Like saying gold bricks weigh more than mud bricks. Same volume different density.
  • bpetrosky
    Good post

Like saying gold bricks weigh more than mud bricks. Same volume different density.

It seemed to me at the time I was responding to someone saying 1 kg of lead weighed more than 1 kg of feathers. If I had a derp moment and misunderstood, my apologies are in order.
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    I can't post the picture that I'd like (not sure how) but see if this link works to show you the difference in size of 1lb of fat versus 1lb of muscle perhaps it will help with the understanding of how much more dense muscle is. :-) https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://dietdatabase.com/1-pound-body-fat-facts-pictures/&ei=URWMVc_cF6KE7gaznoMw&bvm=bv.96782255,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNFtPf3_2SL6NE70qPYWuSOYajt-0A&ust=1435330260454023
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Bumping this thread with this:

13523300456.gif
  • jusme662
    jusme662 Posts: 8 Member
    These are some of the things that were either bad information peddled by diet plan sellers (Atkins, South Beach, Tim Ferris, etc) or broscience that I had to unlearn to actually lose weight successfully. Unlearning these things has helped me approach eating and losing weight from a far better direction mentally.
    • Cut out all bad foods, eat only healthy things. (No, I can have a balanced diet that allows room for some treats)
    • Cut out carbs or fat or sugar. (No, carbs are good, and healthy fats are necessary. An appropriate level of all of them can be had if I work them into my calorie budget)
    • Don't eat anything after X o'clock, it'll go straight to fat. (No, eating so that I end up in a surplus made me fat)
    • Starvation mode will make me store fat. (No, but undereating too much will cause other problems)
    • Certain types of foods must be eaten in the morning or afternoon. (No, our bodies evolved to make the most of the food we eat when we get it)
    • You must eat 6x a day to boost metabolism. (No, eating frequency does not significantly change metabolism)
    • You must take certain powders or pills to boost metabolism [usually part of a diet plan]. (No, supplements are not effective to change metabolic rates)
    • You can eat unlimited amounts of certain healthy foods. (No, eating too much of anything will put on weight, but very calorie dense foods are much easier to overeat)
    • You must eat certain combinations of foods in certain orders to optimize thermogenic effects. (No, any such effects are too small to make enough of a difference)
    • You have to work out X minutes a day, or do certain routines to lose weight. (No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it can help you get to a deficit and has other benefits)

Thanks! Very helpful! Eases the mind somewhat.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Just trying to keep this post up top for all the newbies until they make it an announcement.

If there is one thing I wish we could post at the top of every single topic it would be: Starvation Mode is a myth.

I feel so bad for all the people who are new to this and haven't figured out that they need a scale, and have to track even on cheat days. They come to the forums sad because they are not losing and some idiot tells them to eat more. If eating more made you lose weight America would have nothing but skinny people everywhere. Its not logical or supported by any science anywhere but people are desperate to find a solution that allows them to not change their way of life and still get what they want. If someone who posted on the first page has the "why I am not losing" flow chart, can you please edit your post to include the flow chart so that it will be available to people as they first look at this.
  • bpetrosky
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Just trying to keep this post up top for all the newbies until they make it an announcement.

If there is one thing I wish we could post at the top of every single topic it would be: Starvation Mode is a myth.

I feel so bad for all the people who are new to this and haven't figured out that they need a scale, and have to track even on cheat days. They come to the forums sad because they are not losing and some idiot tells them to eat more. If eating more made you lose weight America would have nothing but skinny people everywhere. Its not logical or supported by any science anywhere but people are desperate to find a solution that allows them to not change their way of life and still get what they want. If someone who posted on the first page has the "why I am not losing" flow chart, can you please edit your post to include the flow chart so that it will be available to people as they first look at this.

Thanks @triciab79. I looked on the first page and those posts can't be edited now, far too old. But I agree, @lemonlionheart made a great flowchart and that should be it's own sticky. I'll put it in here, so anyone can grab it if they wish. And anyone who shares it, please give lemonlionheart credit, she did a bang-up job with it.

l32mqquw8yks.jpg
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    triciab79 wrote: »

Thanks @triciab79. I looked on the first page and those posts can't be edited now, far too old. But I agree, @lemonlionheart made a great flowchart and that should be it's own sticky. I'll put it in here, so anyone can grab it if they wish. And anyone who shares it, please give lemonlionheart credit, she did a bang-up job with it.

l32mqquw8yks.jpg

I can't post it from my phone for some reason, but there is a more recent version of the flowchart where I fixed some of the typos and bolded some of the more important bits :)