Things I had to unlearn about losing weight

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    I know from my experience in other areas where I've managed to exhibit some self-discipline that, if something doesn't make me happy on some level, I'm not likely to keep up working hard at it. The trick is diverting my attention from one thing that makes me happy to another. For instance, eating chocolate truffles until I pass out makes me one kind of happy, but throwing away my size 3X clothes and wearing all 1X or L makes me another kind of happy. Very often it's a question of shifting my attention from immediate to long-term gratification. Odd how that comes naturally in the context of learning something difficult, or making money, but was hard in the context of food. Nevertheless, once I gave it a fair try, it turned out to work the same way. I eat much less now, but I enjoy my food as much as or more than I did. Everything I eat is pleasurable both as food, and as a step toward a goal that's important to me. The future seems bright instead of hopeless, and what could be more gratifying or less miserable? Now I wouldn't give this up for the world.

<3
  • bevhols
    bevhols Posts: 43 Member
    Great post; absolutely reinforced what I thought was right and wrong! Thanks!
  • krissyrey
    krissyrey Posts: 67 Member
    AAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I LOVE THIS POST AND FORUM SO BAD!!! EVERYONE IS JUST AWESOME AND INSYNC!!! I JUST FOUND EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR, BECAUSE ALL THOSE MYTHS OUT THERE, YOU JUST DEBUNKED THEM. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT! IM SHARING THIS ON MY WALL, TO HELP SOMEONE WHO IS STRUGGLING!!!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    These are some of the things that were either bad information peddled by diet plan sellers (Atkins, South Beach, Tim Ferris, etc) or broscience that I had to unlearn to actually lose weight successfully. Unlearning these things has helped me approach eating and losing weight from a far better direction mentally.
    • Cut out all bad foods, eat only healthy things. (No, I can have a balanced diet that allows room for some treats)
    • Cut out carbs or fat or sugar. (No, carbs are good, and healthy fats are necessary. An appropriate level of all of them can be had if I work them into my calorie budget)
    • Don't eat anything after X o'clock, it'll go straight to fat. (No, eating so that I end up in a surplus made me fat)
    • Starvation mode will make me store fat. (No, but undereating too much will cause other problems)
    • Certain types of foods must be eaten in the morning or afternoon. (No, our bodies evolved to make the most of the food we eat when we get it)
    • You must eat 6x a day to boost metabolism. (No, eating frequency does not significantly change metabolism)
    • You must take certain powders or pills to boost metabolism [usually part of a diet plan]. (No, supplements are not effective to change metabolic rates)
    • You can eat unlimited amounts of certain healthy foods. (No, eating too much of anything will put on weight, but very calorie dense foods are much easier to overeat)
    • You must eat certain combinations of foods in certain orders to optimize thermogenic effects. (No, any such effects are too small to make enough of a difference)
    • You have to work out X minutes a day, or do certain routines to lose weight. (No, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, but it can help you get to a deficit and has other benefits)

I'm printing this and every time someone tells me I "shouldn't" eat something or tries to fob the next Dr. Oz bulls**t diet plan, supplement, etc. on me I will hand it to him/her.
  • radyckle
    radyckle Posts: 2 Member
    Good post, Thanks!
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Agreed!
  • Lucy1752
    Lucy1752 Posts: 499 Member

Could there be a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup cleanse? I'd pay cash money for that.

Oh yes, PLEASE!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    In late, and maybe someone's said it, but I would add "You have to eat breakfast in order to kick start your metabolism for the day."

Awesome post!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Great. Now I'm deprived of Talenti gelato *and* minty peas?

*stomps off*

And Tillamook. Don't forget the Tillamook.

Now you're talking!!!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    You deserve a victory dance!! This is great.

mdu994w6nbq2.gif
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    One of the more bizarre myths I came across was one of my housemates, who did not have "protein and carbs in the same meal, because it won't digest it properly."

She also went on an anti-candida diet because she was convinced yeast was giving her headaches. She was certain too much yeast in your body gives you "leaky gut syndrome", which can then cause also cause autism. Apparantly.

:-/

• laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    138shades wrote: »
    Good post

how about you add..../ Muscle weighs more than fat.....(No, 1lb of Fat is the same of 1lb of muscle)

Isn't that just an argument about the semantics though?

I'm not sure either way, but I think people just mean that muscle is *denser* than fat. So out of two people the exact same size, the one with the lower body fat % would weigh more?
  • Magnus919
    Magnus919 Posts: 8 Member
    which can then cause also cause autism.

Good news: It's junk science. Autism isn't a disease. You don't catch it. It's a physiological difference that's there from birth, or it's not. If it's not there, it won't be.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    There is a dire need for a bump.
  • mrslmdm
    mrslmdm Posts: 5 Member
    well its a shame the Person above thinks all of us newbies (which we all were at one point) should read, what 100's to 1000's of posts 1st instead of asking questions. Guess you forgot what being new was like and must have all the time in the world to read 1st.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    mrslmdm wrote: »
    well its a shame the Person above thinks all of us newbies (which we all were at one point) should read, what 100's to 1000's of posts 1st instead of asking questions. Guess you forgot what being new was like and must have all the time in the world to read 1st.

To whom are you referring? I don't think MissusMoon said anything about that...
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    mrslmdm wrote: »

To whom are you referring? I don't think MissusMoon said anything about that...

Thank you.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    Awesome post. Just want to do a mass spam on people I know lol.