Question for those who are eating low carbs.

Options

Replies

• paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »
    So is cauliflower. Hello.
    Actually cauliflower is whiter than potatoes. Potatoes are more yellow.

I'm not being serious. This debate has been done over and over again in these threads it's annoying, thats why I'm not feeding into it. Thanks for trying educate me tho.

Aren't carbs from veggies more nutritional for you tho?

I find carbs from veggies have less calories so I can eat more and stay within my calories. If I eat bread and pasta I hit my calories before I am full. I dont know if they are more or less nutritional, I just know for me I can stay within my calories better. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »

I'm not being serious. This debate has been done over and over again in these threads it's annoying, thats why I'm not feeding into it. Thanks for trying educate me tho.

I find carbs from veggies have less calories so I can eat more and stay within my calories. If I eat bread and pasta I hit my calories before I am full. I dont know if they are more or less nutritional, I just know for me I can stay within my calories better. :)

I believe 1 gram of carbohydrate has the same number of calories no matter what food it is contained in.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

I believe 1 gram of carbohydrate has the same number of calories no matter what food it is contained in.

maybe I just over eat those kinds of food then lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

True, but I think the point is that subbing some carb sources for other food sources with fewer carbs can lead to better satiety in some people (due to higher volume of food for the same caloric value).

Personally, I found I prefer tomato sauce with a ton of veggies as an "Italian Stew" as opposed to sauce over pasta. It works for me, and I can eat far more volume of food than if I was having pasta with sauce. I don't really low carb though since I use my calorie "savings" to eat some gelato after dinner.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    What does avoiding what carbs mean?

White carbs*

Yes, sorry, I meant white carbs, autocorrect problems :)

Oh thought you misread.
    White carbs are foods that have been stripped of there nutrients.. So white bread, rice , potatoes , pastas

I can see the white bread vs whole grain bread with regard mainly to fiber content, I think choosing whole grain cereal is in general what most drs would advise. But why the colour "white"? Does the term come from white flour? And how do potatoes come into this? Which are not even grains?

You know I can't because 1.2g of fibre for a slice of white toast under my scrambled egg and cheese is fine by me

150g raspberries and the rest of my diet will easily give me over 25g fibre a day

You're both right (except for potatoes being stripped of nutrients). Things like white bread, pasta, flour have been stripped of some nutrients, some are added back it - that's when you see the words enriched. But they cannot add back in fiber. These white foods are made with grains that have had the bran & germ stripped from them - which is where the fiber is. If you buy these items as a whole grain - you get all 3 part of the grain, so it includes the fiber. That doesn't mean you can't have white bread. Like rabbit said, if you can get fiber from fruit or other whole grains, you can enjoy white bread, pasta, etc. You should get about 50% of your carbs from whole grains, the rest can come from refined grains as long as you're meeting your fiber needs.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm not a low carber, but I think you can:

Restrict white carbs if you choose and not be low carb
    OR
    Be low carb and not restrict white carbs

Pretty sure the color itself is not a formula for success.

I'm all for people making the food choices that work best for them and help them meet their goals. I prefer people to have well thought out reasons for the choices they make, not "I thought white carbs were bad for you" or "I thought carbs from vegetables were better for you" or "I just know it's something I need to avoid"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

White carbs*

Oh thought you misread.
    White carbs are foods that have been stripped of there nutrients.. So white bread, rice , potatoes , pastas

how have potatoes been stripped of their nutrients? potatoes are chalk full of nutrients...they are high in vitamin C and a tremendous source of potassium just to name a couple.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

yup 4 calorie per gram of carbs...same as protein.
  • rmboehm67
    rmboehm67 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This may cause the world to explode but "if it fits your macros" the "type" of carb shouldn't be a reason to over think diet plan.

Eliminating white carbs is a great way to quickly explain a way to improve the quality of your diet if you are new to process. As you become more sophisticated in your tracking and comfortable with how you react to certain foods you can welcome it back in or not even exclude it.

I started to find more success with my plan when I realized foods weren't inherently bad or good but rather some require more planning for me to consume.

At the heart of the original question I will eat 135g carbs on my training days (25% of my 2,200 calories) and 56g on my off days. I hold protein steady and alter my fat in line with my carbs.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    rmboehm67 wrote: »
    This may cause the world to explode but "if it fits your macros" the "type" of carb shouldn't be a reason to over think diet plan.

Eliminating white carbs is a great way to quickly explain a way to improve the quality of your diet if you are new to process. As you become more sophisticated in your tracking and comfortable with how you react to certain foods you can welcome it back in or not even exclude it.

I started to find more success with my plan when I realized foods weren't inherently bad or good but rather some require more planning for me to consume.

At the heart of the original question I will eat 135g carbs on my training days (25% of my 2,200 calories) and 56g on my off days. I hold protein steady and alter my fat in line with my carbs.

Strong first post. Too many are worried about the best fuel for their ferrari, when they are still driving an '82 pickup.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

That's why I asked why potatoes, which are a veggie are bad according to you.

because the potatoing process strips them of nutrients...unless they are sweet then they are good...I guess?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I heard there was stripping going on in here?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Only potato stripping, which isn't as sweet.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Potato-Stripper.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Potato-Stripper.jpg

Found that more apeeling than I should.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

That's why I asked why potatoes, which are a veggie are bad according to you.

because the potatoing process strips them of nutrients...unless they are sweet then they are good...I guess?

polls_potatoe_attack_5908_552003_poll_xlarge.gif
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    rmboehm67 wrote: »

That's the only real intent of that advice anyway. My husband had a high blood sugar reading at urgent care, the doctor handed him a pamphlet on diabetes and told him to cut out sugar and potatoes while following up with our doctor. Treatment in 30 seconds or less, no context. (Our real doctor does a much better job of it)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Potato-Stripper.jpg

Found that more apeeling than I should.

puns_that_will_make_you_groan_640_18.jpg
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Potato-Stripper.jpg

LOL. That's hilarious.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

White carbs*

Oh thought you misread.

How are potatoes stripped of their nutrients...they come directly from the ground to your kitchen.

Growing up we raised potatoes...we would dig them...wash them...peel or not peel depending on cooking method...cook...then eat.

I don't know where they got stripped in that process.

Ooops...I see you have already answered this.

Why do you need to avoid them?