Can you have too much protein?

Options

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do 200 grams a day with no issues and have done 300 a day in he past.. The food I like happens to have a lot of protein in it. Meat fish chicken milk
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Wow - I try to eat protein at about 30%, or 188gs per day, which is pretty high (I weight about 170lb, about 157lb lbm). I cannot imagine tripling this and eating 2,250 calories of protein per day, it sounds extremely excessive!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    hell, I just want to know what you're eating to get to 90% protein. I'm looking for ideas for other palatable lean sources and don't know any source that is that high...much less a diet for a week.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some of you could benefit from watching this

https://youtu.be/mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • Firebolt394
    Firebolt394 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes. And how on earth are you eating 90% protein?

I want to know this as well because of reasons.

yes, please?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in having a 90% protein diet...how are you coming up with that number anyway? I'd say if in fact this is true, your bigger issue is a lack of balanced nutrition.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Apud85 wrote: »
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that too much protein can also lead to weakened bones and osteoporosis.

I have not seen anything to support that - however, what can cause issues is a deficiency in other nutrients, which 90% protein diet will likely have.

I've seen actual published studies for this, but they all come out of alkaline diet promoters, and usually includes confounders in that the "protein group" is one given no guidelines, and the "non-protein group" is usually told to eat X servings of fruit and vegetables.
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I track what I eat here and MFP is saying 90% protein if you look at the daily nutrition charts. So it could be a smidge off?. I thought my diary was open but I guess not. Here is what I'm eating this week:

Breakfast: 1/2 c vanilla Greek yogurt
    3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

Lunch: shredded chicken with bbq. (I made 4 pounds (precooked weight) and divided it into 5 equal portions.
    2 rice cakes

Dinner: whatever I make. I always try to have a veggie, carb, and protein.

If I have cals left over and hungry, I have a protein shake with water with some fresh veggies or fruit.

He eats pretty much eats what I do but in larger quantities. I just feel it might be imbalanced and I'd like to figure it out and come to him with suggestions.

• senecarr
    Options
    micqs wrote: »
    I track what I eat here and MFP is saying 90% protein if you look at the daily nutrition charts. So it could be a smidge off?. I thought my diary was open but I guess not. Here is what I'm eating this week:

3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

Lunch: shredded chicken with bbq. (I made 4 pounds (precooked weight) and divided it into 5 equal portions.
    2 rice cakes

If I have cals left over and hungry, I have a protein shake with water with some fresh veggies or fruit.

He eats pretty much eats what I do but in larger quantities. I just feel it might be imbalanced and I'd like to figure it out and come to him with suggestions.
    I'm having difficulty picturing 90% protein out of this.
    What would be an example grams for the day or per meal for carbs, fats, protein?
  • senecarr
    Options
    Just for example, I often eat a boneless, skinless chicken breast, at the leanest brand I found. It is still only around 83% protein as a percent of calories (23 grams protein, 1.5 grams fat).
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, you can. Excessive protein consumption (As a percentage of total caloric intake) will cause kidney problems.

http://www.medicinenet.com/how_much_dietary_protein_to_consume-page2/views.htm

I totally disagree with the numbers this article gave. It says:
    "Adult women need, on average, 46 grams of protein a day, while adult men need about 56 grams" Maybe if you are 90 yrs old and sitting in your rocker all day.

I think this is way too little, especially for those who do weight training. As time goes on they are finding more and more benefits to a diet high in protein, such as lowering the chance of developing cardiometabolic disorders. Some are now recommending 1 to 1.5 grams per lb of body weight.

As far as the OP, I know she hasn't responded yet...I wonder if she was confused about the 90%. Could she have meant 90 grams/day??

• PShizle
    PShizle Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great video post [75]75 - so much misinformation out there on protein and protein synthesis.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »

3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

2 rice cakes

What would be an example grams for the day or per meal for carbs, fats, protein?

Me neither. If that is 90% protein then I am the Queen of England. I imagine MFP says 90 gms, not percentage.

75% of all statistical percentages are made up...
  • senecarr
    Options

3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

2 rice cakes

Me neither. If that is 90% protein then I am the Queen of England. I imagine MFP says 90 gms, not percentage.
    If it turns out their family is sponsored by IsoPure, I'm going to have to start calling you your majesty.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    j75j75 wrote: »
    Some of you could benefit from watching this

https://youtu.be/mjmV8BlsJTQ

Dr. Norton is a beast.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

2 rice cakes

And 56% of those are cleverly ironic.
  • senecarr
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

3 rice cakes
    1 c fruit

2 rice cakes

And 56% of those are cleverly ironic.
    Not to the 5 out of 4 of people who don't understand fractions.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have to watch protein intake to keep my blood glucose reading where is should be since about half of protein can be converted in the body to glucose. I know some do live on meat however.