Can you have too much protein?

Options

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    sadly enough... looking at your diary, I think you want to add MORE protein to your diary.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    OP go to the USDA nutritional database. Type in the food and you'll get all the info you need to make informed decisions.

I also took the liberty of going to June 1st in your diary and moving forward until today. Your logging is simply too inconsistent to have an accurate accounting of your regular consumption of ANY macro or micronutrient. When you see something that looks "off" then it probably is. Next time you see a number that seems insane, go ahead and let yourself believe that it IS insane and find another entry to use.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I am very relieved that it was an incorrect entry in the OP's diary. OP, see above! USDA site is an excellent resource to cross check to the database. Some people aren't 100% accurate with their database entries, and it can mess up recipes you input.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    micqs wrote: »
    I'm having difficulty picturing 90% protein out of this.
    What would be an example grams for the day or per meal for carbs, fats, protein?[/quote]

Yesterdays was (day) Fat: 42.1 Carbs: 138.2 and Protein: 6,899.3

[/quote]

Awesome bodybuilding chicken with Jupiter density muscles! Where can I get some?? This was a fun thread :)

Eating the kind of dietary protein you posted earlier in your example is no problem. Not sure about your level of intake of other nutrients, but the protein is fine. You will never get to 90% protein calories without some kind of processed separation protein supplements and all meat diet.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Well now this thread makes sense.

And glad I am not the Queen of England. I wasn't looking forward to the awkwardness of being ridiculously attracted to my grandson. Phew. ;)

Oh come, royalty and nobility get to break all the rules about inbreeding.
  • tinamaverick
    tinamaverick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes that is too much, it could even damage your kidneys and liver. Half your weight is a good amount, in grams, to eat per day.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    FYI, to anyone in this thread talking about kidney damage, please actually look up and find at least one instance of healthy kidneys being damaged by excess protein. Yeah, people with kidney problems can have them worse by excess protein, but I'm unaware of healthy, functioning kidneys ever being hurt by protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    FYI, to anyone in this thread talking about kidney damage, please actually look up and find at least one instance of healthy kidneys being damaged by excess protein. Yeah, people with kidney problems can have them worse by excess protein, but I'm unaware of healthy, functioning kidneys ever being hurt by protein.

IIRC, in studies they have looked at as much as 258g (that is pulled from memory so could be a little off) and have found no issues at that level - which is not saying more would be an issue for someone with healthy kidneys.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yes that is too much, it could even damage your kidneys and liver. Half your weight is a good amount, in grams, to eat per day.

Half my weight is far too low for my goals.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be careful to pick a correct database item. I love the serving size on this yogurt:

w8rm8qjlgp6r.png
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    "Yes that is too much, it could even damage your kidneys and liver. Half your weight is a good amount, in grams, to eat per day."

This kind of misinformation is exactly why I posted that video earlier, smh
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I often have a tomato of yogurt. What's your problem, blankiefinder!

:-)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to be careful to pick a correct database item. I love the serving size on this yogurt:

w8rm8qjlgp6r.png

Wait, a tomato of yogurt isn't a standard serving size?

I have some adjusting to do...
  • myowninspiration33
    myowninspiration33 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Too much of anything is probably a bad idea. Balance is the key to everything.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    simply said, yes
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Half my weight would be way too low for me to feel satiated. I can't imagine how low that would be for someone who's seriously into bodybuilding.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

w8rm8qjlgp6r.png

I choked on my tea. Hilarious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I often have a tomato of yogurt. What's your problem, blankiefinder!

:-)

Personally, I prefer an apple of yogurt - far more satisfying.