For those who think weight lifting is "boring"

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

The results will speak volumes on boredom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Agreed! I move my *kitten* when I do my weights because I'm crunched for time. By the time I'm done, my hair is soaked and I look like I was just hit by a bus... and I love it :)

I also do cardio (jumping jacks, or whatever) in between if I want my heart rate up and try to do a plank for an "active recovery" to make sure my core is being engaged the whole time I'm doing my sets.

I take no more then 1 1/2 min break between sets and if I'm tired after a rep, I might take 15-20 seconds to catch my breath and get back to it.

I really hope people read this!

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

IDEA Fitness member

Translate "bored" as "scared." There are a ton of folks on here who have never done anything physical EVER. That's the bigger hurdle to overcome.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    The only time I get bored is when I have been doing the same workout for a long time. Then I just switch it up.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

Translate "bored" as "scared." There are a ton of folks on here who have never done anything physical EVER. That's the bigger hurdle to overcome.

I agree. I find cardio much more boring than lifting, but lifting is intimidating. Particularly in a public setting when you're new to the concept. I don't like lifting at my gym unless my husband is with me (ostensibly 'spotting', but really blocking me from other people. I get way self conscious).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

No I'm mean bored. They claim to lift weights but find it boring.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

They might just need to switch things up. When I get bored it's because I have been doing the same lifting routine for a long time. As soon as I switch it up I'm fine. I just made my husband and myself a 3 week workout plan to cycle so that it keeps it different.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree. Sometimes my heart is about to jump out of my chest and I get that bile sensation in the throat from lifting. If all I had to do was cardio, I think I would just resign myself to being unfit and out of shape for the rest of my life.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Results don't take away boredom, at least not for me.

I find the repetition of lifting boring for the same reason I find the repetition of running and eliptical boring. Things like Zumba and Turbo Fire are fun for me because of the music and the changing routines. Hiking, biking or trail running are fun because I'm in the great outdoors and more importantly, hopefully in the woods. The woods are never boring to me.

I do love the HIIT Turbo Fire workouts a lot, and I prefer HIIT running to a consistent pace. I've never heard of HIIT weight lifting but I'm going to check it out. I would like to find something that made lifting fun. Do you have any suggested sites for HIIT lifting?
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Agree, I break a sweat every time!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Maybe their idea of lifting consists of prison-movie style sitting on a bench and curling the same weight all day?

My lifting routine may not be all that inspired, but the results are inspirational (and I say that after only 4 weeks already).
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

They might just need to switch things up. When I get bored it's because I have been doing the same lifting routine for a long time. As soon as I switch it up I'm fine. I just made my husband and myself a 3 week workout plan to cycle so that it keeps it different.
    And the great thing about lifting is there are SO MANY different exercises. In reality there are only a few ways one can run on a treadmill, or do work on an elliptical. With dance you variety of moves, and music (although with iPods and shuffles that's less of an excuse now), but the same people I've seen dancing for a couple of years, still look the same and those that have lost the weight just look like smaller versions of their former selves.
    To change body composition, you need to work the muscles.

IDEA Fitness member
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    How to reconcile lifting heavy while doing a HITT workout? You just accept the fact that you are sacrificing weight for intensity?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

My wife was that way until she started lifting with me...now she realizes she just wasn't doing it right. Her *kitten* is too worn out now to be bored...we both have to practically crawl to the car when we're done.
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I actually dont might lifting but I get scare of doing it wrong and getting hurt, any routing suggestion. I do lift but no as much as should.:blushing:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    How to reconcile lifting heavy while doing a HITT workout? You just accept the fact that you are sacrificing weight for intensity?

What does that mean? Sorry, not trying to be dense, but I don't understand "sacrificing weight for intensity".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You know what's boring? Being laid up on the couch with a back injury.

And that's something that used to happen several times a year.... BEFORE I started strength training. I'd twist wrong and ... zing! Out my back would go.

Other than a mild stress fracture from running (and I blame the treadmill for that), I've been injury free for 2.5 years now.

I truthfully don't find strength training all that enjoyable or exciting, but it beats the hell out of being weak and fragile.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You know you're doing it right when you grey out between sets. Heh heh.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Agree, I break a sweat every time!

I break a sweat every time I do cardio or lifting or calisthenics or any other exercise. But. at least for me, sweat doesn't = not boring.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Results don't take away boredom, at least not for me.

I find the repetition of lifting boring for the same reason I find the repetition of running and eliptical boring. Things like Zumba and Turbo Fire are fun for me because of the music and the changing routines. Hiking, biking or trail running are fun because I'm in the great outdoors and more importantly, hopefully in the woods. The woods are never boring to me.

I do love the HIIT Turbo Fire workouts a lot, and I prefer HIIT running to a consistent pace. I've never heard of HIIT weight lifting but I'm going to check it out. I would like to find something that made lifting fun. Do you have any suggested sites for HIIT lifting?
    Try this:

60 seconds on/15-20 second rest

Squats (30 seconds) with weight followed by jump lunges (30 seconds) 3 sets

Clean and jerk followed with burpess 3 sets

Bench press followed with kettle bell swings 3 sets

Bent rows followed with box jumps 3 sets

IDEA Fitness member
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    I find lifting boring. I love running. I lift because you're supposed to. I lift as heavy as I can while maintaining form. But I honestly don't really get an big rush from it. I don't care whether I lift 2 pounds or 2000. I don't get any sense of satisfaction from adding weight (successfully). I get a rush running longer or faster, or meeting a goal or training for a race. I just like it.

To me, it's the difference between draining your checking account paying bills or shopping for a new outfit. One you do for fun, one you do because you have to. Doesn't mean I'm not paying bills "correctly", it just means I find it boring.