For those who think weight lifting is "boring"

Options

Replies

• dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    In my opinion they find it boring because they haven't seen any strength improvement (lifting the same weight all the time) and doing too much isolation exercise. When your program consists of all compound exercises, you'll get more exhausted than doing cardio
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

The results will speak volumes on boredom.

Results don't take away boredom, at least not for me.

I find the repetition of lifting boring for the same reason I find the repetition of running and eliptical boring. Things like Zumba and Turbo Fire are fun for me because of the music and the changing routines. Hiking, biking or trail running are fun because I'm in the great outdoors and more importantly, hopefully in the woods. The woods are never boring to me.

I do love the HIIT Turbo Fire workouts a lot, and I prefer HIIT running to a consistent pace. I've never heard of HIIT weight lifting but I'm going to check it out. I would like to find something that made lifting fun. Do you have any suggested sites for HIIT lifting?

I'm on week 4 of TF and completely addicted! ChaLean Extreme is another Chalene Johnson program that focuses on heavy weight training with lots of movement mixed in. There's a TF/CLX hybrid schedule too that I'll be starting in 2 months. I get bored pretty easily but found CLX engaging and fun, plus had insane results even though I had to stop 5 weeks in due to a non- workout related injury.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

I find the repetition of lifting boring for the same reason I find the repetition of running and eliptical boring. Things like Zumba and Turbo Fire are fun for me because of the music and the changing routines. Hiking, biking or trail running are fun because I'm in the great outdoors and more importantly, hopefully in the woods. The woods are never boring to me.

I do love the HIIT Turbo Fire workouts a lot, and I prefer HIIT running to a consistent pace. I've never heard of HIIT weight lifting but I'm going to check it out. I would like to find something that made lifting fun. Do you have any suggested sites for HIIT lifting?

I'm on week 4 of TF and completely addicted! ChaLean Extreme is another Chalene Johnson program that focuses on heavy weight training with lots of movement mixed in. There's a TF/CLX hybrid schedule too that I'll be starting in 2 months. I get bored pretty easily but found CLX engaging and fun, plus had insane results even though I had to stop 5 weeks in due to a non- workout related injury.

Cool! I've been thinking of doing the TF/CLX hybrid once hiking season is over. I really like Chalene Johnson and loved Turbo Fire. But we hike so much in the summer I wouldn't stick to the schedule right now. On non-hiking days I do TF HIIT and wieghts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In my opinion they find it boring because they haven't seen any strength improvement (lifting the same weight all the time) and doing too much isolation exercise. When your program consists of all compound exercises, you'll get more exhausted than doing cardio

What does exhaustion or improvement have to do with boring? I could see not wanting to continue if you didn't see results, or the reverse (continuing desptie the boredom because of the results). But I don't see how results would make something less boring.

Is it so hard to believe that people simply have different tastes and find different things enjoyable?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

For me this misses the whole point of what many find boring about lifting. Neither intensity nor results make lifting less boring to me because I crave being outdoors while exercising. I especially enjoy being in the woods: mountain biking, trail running, hiking, kayaking, etc, They are not boring because I enjoy the gorgeous scenery - mountains, waterfalls, lake and river views, plus wildlife sightings and just feeling the sun (or rain) on my face. There's always something to enjoy when in the great outdoors! Lifting is boring because it is done indoors with no woods, wildlife, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do lift. I am following the NROL program and I'm getting great results. But to my taste it is flat out boring compared to my other pursuits.
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Cool! I've been thinking of doing the TF/CLX hybrid once hiking season is over. I really like Chalene Johnson and loved Turbo Fire. But we hike so much in the summer I wouldn't stick to the schedule right now. On non-hiking days I do TF HIIT and wieghts.

I used to hike all summer but haven't been able to the last few years due to nerve damage caused by complications after I broke my ankle - uneven ground just doesn't work for me anymore but luckily there's some easy trails where I live. I'd rather hike than workout indoors too :)

I'll be starting the hybrid mid-August and would love another workout buddy doing the same program if not on the same schedule. I found a group of women on tbb.com (I have the same username there) that do TF/CLX . We have challenge groups for motivation & accountability every month (no solicitation or pressure to buy stuff like some of the tbb groups tho) Let me know if you want to join in when hiking season is over!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry. It's boring. What makes it boring is having to think about doing it. Cardio machines let you zone out and watch TV.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

IDEA Fitness member
    Yeah ... no.

It isn't the lifting I don't like. It's the having to be in the gym. And I really do just enjoy other activities more.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It's boring to me. I'm not doing it wrong - I work up a sweat, I push myself, I get sore, I look good, and I'm stronger. But talk about a freaking mindless activity. At least with Zumba there's a small part of my brain required to remember steps, and when I'm running outside I alternate between taking in the scenery, people-watching, and focusing on breathing and rhythm. Lifting is muscle memory. The most I use my brain in lifting is to count reps. While I ultimately find it rewarding, I do not find it fun or entertaining. My lifting sessions are some of the dullest hours of my week.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My lack of enjoyment out of weight lifting isn’t boredom or lack of sweating. It’s the atmosphere. I prefer group classes where I can do both cardio and strength training with usually other women who have similar goals to those that I have. I`ve had weight lifting as part of my workout routine before, but I hated going to that section of the gym so much because of all the guys would just stop what they were talking about or whisper instead. Maybe it’s just the atmosphere at my gym or the hour that I go, but it just was never an enjoyable experience, I always felt uncomfortable and just stopped going.
    At least i actually do group classes (that still have body conditioning), if it wasnt for classes or even videos i wouldnt go to the gym at all. Some things just arent for everybody, theres nothing wrong with that.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I find lifting boring. I love running. I lift because you're supposed to.

Total opposite here. I love lifting. I run occasionally because I like to be able to run. The only way I can deal with running is to do it on trails, which I actually like because I'm in the outdoors in the woods. I couldn't imagine being on a treadmill or elliptical day after day. Even running on the street or sidewalks is completely unappealing to me.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

For me this misses the whole point of what many find boring about lifting. Neither intensity nor results make lifting less boring to me because I crave being outdoors while exercising. I especially enjoy being in the woods: mountain biking, trail running, hiking, kayaking, etc, They are not boring because I enjoy the gorgeous scenery - mountains, waterfalls, lake and river views, plus wildlife sightings and just feeling the sun (or rain) on my face. There's always something to enjoy when in the great outdoors! Lifting is boring because it is done indoors with no woods, wildlife, etc. Don't get me wrong, I do lift. I am following the NROL program and I'm getting great results. But to my taste it is flat out boring compared to my other pursuits.

This plus nature smells a helluva lot better than a gym!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I just bought in some more compost for my garden. Off topic? Not really ...

Bringing it in from the car I shouldered each 50 litre bag and pumped out 4 sets of 12 squats. What a rush!

Not boring but I feel some routines could do with an injection of creativity.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I kind of think weight lifting is a lot like watching football. A few minutes of intense activity, followed by some downtime. The heavier I'm lifting, the more downtime I need.

And that's why I loooove lifting at home, because I'm not worried about being in anyone's way or holding anyone back. I scooped cat poop between sets today. Read a page here and there in the book I'm reading. Watched a little television. Not bored at all.

And even if it is boring... so what? Not everything is supposed to be super-exciting. "Flossing my teeth EVERY single day is just so boring. I'm not going to do it anymore."
  • rml_16
    Options
    Flossing my teeth takes no more than 60 seconds of my day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    <judgement on>
    Straight up, if you find lifting boring, it's because your trying to find a "plausible" excuse to be lazy.

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>
  • rml_16
    Options
    <judgement on>
    Straight up, if you find lifting boring, it's because your trying to find a "plausible" excuse to be lazy.

Knock it off.
    <judgement off>
    Yes, I'm so lazy I workout sometimes two hours a day.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I guess different people like different things?
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Sorry. It's boring. What makes it boring is having to think about doing it. Cardio machines let you zone out and watch TV.

Yeah, I like to zone out and listen to music or watch Battlestar Galactica on Netflix.If I want FUN exercise, I will play a game of baseball with my sons or go dance.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

IDEA Fitness member

I don't understand the "don't sweat" part. when I deadlifted 225# x4 today, I could feel the sweat bursting from my forehead. Go heavy or go home.