For those who think weight lifting is "boring"

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Straight up:

Either you don't really know how to do it effectively or you're moving too slow and lack intensity.

Lots of people that I've taken on who felt it was boring say it's because they don't move enough, they don't "sweat" like they do when they do cardio, or they don't like repetition (lol, like running or doing an elliptical or dance class doesn't have repetitive movements).

HIIT training. Gasp for air. Push that weight with serious effort. Short rest between sets.

The results will speak volumes on boredom.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Wait. There are people who don't sweat like pigs when lifting?

...Am I doing it wrong? Because I feel like I leave puddles on the floor. :embarassed:
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I find lifting boring. I love running. I lift because you're supposed to. I lift as heavy as I can while maintaining form. But I honestly don't really get an big rush from it. I don't care whether I lift 2 pounds or 2000. I don't get any sense of satisfaction from adding weight (successfully). I get a rush running longer or faster, or meeting a goal or training for a race. I just like it.

To me, it's the difference between draining your checking account paying bills or shopping for a new outfit. One you do for fun, one you do because you have to. Doesn't mean I'm not paying bills "correctly", it just means I find it boring.
    Then your approach is wrong. If you get a rush doing longer or faster or "racing" for time, then that should be your focus on lifting too.

IDEA Fitness member

I disagree. It just means that his/her taste is different. Some people get a rush from climbing a mountain, while others wouldn't get a rush from it no matter how they framed it in their mind. It just doesn't appeal to them.

Point: Not everyone likes the same thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you can use the terms "weight lifting" and "HIIT" interchangeably.

Also enjoy the irony that it's OK for people to yell that "cardio is boring" a thousand times a day on the forums, but god forbid anyone might have similar feelings about lifting weights.

Burn the heretics!

Somewhat puzzled as to why you have recently decided to take this nonsensical approach.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Niner is talking about me. I am 'that' guy. I lift. I like how I feel afterwards and I like going to the gym when my son goes with me. I sometimes like being in those fancy gyms, with the steam room or other 'after' amenities.
    BUT . . . . four or five sets of the same motion is monotonous. i much prefer playing a sport, or just being outside, in the fresh air, heading down the road, anticipating what I am going to find around the corner. Plus, I just feel like running is a much more basic, natural, whole body motion.
    Sorry. I just do.

I did weight lifting in Dec and Jan (was trying to change things up a bit) and then started doing it again about three weeks before I started Insanity. I would do 15 minutes of machine weights and 15 minutes free (I did machines only because of an injury I had that the doctor said I wouldn't lift again, and I wanted to take it easy and make sure my nerve in my elbow could handle it) and honestly if it wasn't for me trying to in my mind compete with the guys in the weight room, i probably would have walked out because i can't be excited about it. While I understand its something I need to do (right now I am not doing weight lifting with Insanity, sorry it wipes me out and i drip sweat all over the floor) nothing compares to getting outside and running along the river and feeling the wind in my face (I missed it during winter). I enjoy running and dancing and honestly Insanity too.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I sweat SO MUCH more when I lift than when I do cardio. I can't believe it would be the opposite for anyone! Although maybe it's just because I'm really weak!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I find lifting boring. I love running. I lift because you're supposed to. I lift as heavy as I can while maintaining form. But I honestly don't really get an big rush from it. I don't care whether I lift 2 pounds or 2000. I don't get any sense of satisfaction from adding weight (successfully). I get a rush running longer or faster, or meeting a goal or training for a race. I just like it.

To me, it's the difference between draining your checking account paying bills or shopping for a new outfit. One you do for fun, one you do because you have to. Doesn't mean I'm not paying bills "correctly", it just means I find it boring.
    Then your approach is wrong. If you get a rush doing longer or faster or "racing" for time, then that should be your focus on lifting too.

IDEA Fitness member

Thats just foolish. i see and agree with your posts all the time here. And i love lifter over cardio and never find it boring. But to say a person cant be bored by lifting seems totally wrong.

I love playing golf, where as many people find it really boring. It doesn't mean they arent playing it right, or i can train them to find it less boring. it's just what they prefer.

I find video games very boring, where as others think the are the most exciting thing in the world.

different strokes for different folks
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I love lifting, and I don't think it's boring at all. I find it extremely engaging. I actually prefer doing heavier sets with more rest in between, I appreciate the ebb and flow, and the focus it requires.

I also love running, but for different reasons.

That having been said, I'd never expect everyone else to like the same things I like. I understand the point of this thread, that there are many different ways to lift and if you find one way boring don't give up on it. However, I think the tone was way off. Just because someone doesn't like lifting doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. It's also okay to do something even though you think it's boring because you know it's good for you. Not everyone is going to like lifting and that's ok.
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh how much I LOVE weight lifting!!!! I used to find it intimidating, so I didn't do it. Now I've learned so much about muscle groups and planes of motion that I can make my own combos. I do love a straight deadlift or shoulder squat, but I also love throwing in twists that engage obliques, etc. that might otherwise get less of a workout. With so many options, I don't think I could ever find weight lifting boring.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I do a 15 - 30 minute HIIT workout before I do my strength training routine, helps get my muscles warm and my heart rate up. I do like functional strength training, such as doing squat and press or deadlift with reverse fly more than just working one body part at a time, plus it seems to keep my heart rate up during it, and I definitely do not get bored.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    'don't know how.' that's me.. that makes it intimidating. gym..not sure what to do...
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    When physical activity use to get my heart pounding and my lungs burning I use to think "OMG I better stop, I'm going to die". Now when they do it I think "OMG this feels great, I'm alive!"

It's all as much fun as you make it. Just keep moving.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Not sure how you can use the terms "weight lifting" and "HIIT" interchangeably.
    For purposes of people who think that traditionally weight lifting is the only way to lift, using weight lifting HIIT style is another option.
    Also enjoy the irony that it's OK for people to yell that "cardio is boring" a thousand times a day on the forums, but god forbid anyone might have similar feelings about lifting weights.
    But it goes both ways. The thought of counting reps or doing repetitive movements with weights is boring, yet isn't that what's happening with running and or elliptical?
    Burn the heretics!
    Make sure to bring the hot sauce.:laugh:
    Somewhat puzzled as to why you have recently decided to take this nonsensical approach.
    Probably because I've heard enough whining as of late where people want to change their body composition, but feel like weight lifting is too boring to do to try to achieve it.
    I'm almost convinced now that it has nothing to do with actual boredom, but more an objection to doing it either because they lack confidence in doing it or just plain don't like to do it.
    I like playing golf personally, but to watch it on TV isn't something I have interest in. So maybe that's why it's boring to me.:ohwell:

IDEA Fitness member
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Couldnt agree more! I used to think it was so boring, until I realized I was doing it wrong! I now do pretty quick circuits, keep up the intensity and am always dripping sweat when I am done. And the results are anything BUT boring! :drinker:

ETA: I do my strength training HIIT style, that is the only way I get through and besides that I am on a time limit. But I am getting great results with HIIT strength training, although some people tell me that isnt the right way to do it.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've never tried weight lifting because I was never taught how. I'm interested in learning now though... however, can someone with bursitis + tendonitis in their shoulder, tendonitis in their wrist, and arthritis in their thumb weight lift safely without causing these injuries to flare up and worsen? I have a difficult time gripping with my left hand and lifting almost most weight with my left shoulder, I have to have assistance to go grocery shopping =\...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I've never tried weight lifting because I was never taught how. I'm interested in learning now though... however, can someone with bursitis + tendonitis in their shoulder, tendonitis in their wrist, and arthritis in their thumb weight lift safely without causing these injuries to flare up and worsen? I have a difficult time gripping with my left hand and lifting almost most weight with my left shoulder, I have to have assistance to go grocery shopping =\...
    There are certainly ways to modify. I have tendinitis in both elbows (golfers and tennis elbow in both), my left knee, and my left shoulder and through lots of warming up, can get through a workout.
    If you have any physical therapists that you can see, they should be able to provide you with lifting/strengthening programs and techniques.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. That's a great idea, I will run my questions by my PT on Tuesday when I go for my wrist and see what advice they can give me. =)
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Well I'm trying to lift (no gym near me so it's weights at home), but to be blunt I hate it with a passion so far. Sure I'm probably doing it wrong....and that's one of the issues, because if you know f'all about it and you have no gym then you're going by YouTube videos...and as you can't see yourself you really have no clue whether what you're doing is like the guy/gal in the video. It probably isn't because right now i've wrenched my shoulder doing those thingies where you hold dumbells, bend your arms and pull them back behind your back like a demented chicken.

On top of that, I do begrudge any exercise time not spent outside. My absolute favourite things are hiking, rowing and swimming and it's because it's out there in nature and there's sights, sounds and smells all around.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I find lifting boring. Even when I do it with other people it is boring. I would rather play. The only reasons I lift are because I want to get strong and because I like the way bulky muscle looks, but that does not make it fun.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Sorry - but that is dreadfully judgemental. I know you mean well but it comes across as projecting your likes and goals on to everyone else.
    Now I'm a very average sportsman but an above average trainer - both cardio and weights. I love setting and achieving goals. My competition is nearly always with myself.

On the other hand my son is a very gifted sportsman who hates training, drills and practice of any kind. He will play any and every sport going but you won't ever find him in a gym or pounding the streets.

We are both well above the norm for fitness & strength in our respective peer groups.

Doesn't make my approach right or his approach wrong - different strokes for different folks.