Friends who talk a lot about weight loss

Options
13»

Replies

• irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd be tempted to brag about this app...but
    that would probably just cause more problems. I like the idea of offering her to work out though!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    SatiaRenee wrote: »
    I have an overweight friend and we used to meet for coffee which meant she would get herself a large bagel slathered in cream cheese or a huge muffin.

One day I suggested we go for a walk instead and now I have a walking buddy. Every Saturday, give or take our occasional conflict in schedules and such, we go for a 2-3 miles walk.

If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem. How can you be a part of the solution without judgment? I add the "without judgment" because your friend may very well turn you down if you suggest walking together. And that's okay. Haven't we all hoped we could find an easy way to lose weight?

That's really nice of you! This friend already has a walking buddy, and my downtime is already pretty booked with my kids and my own workouts. But, you've given me an idea. We occasionally get together with a mutual friend for dinner/drinks--I might suggest we get together for a walk instead.
  • jaga13
    Options
    Does your friendship with this person truly outweigh this issue? I had a friend I had been hanging onto since high school even though she made no effort at all to maintain the friendship. One day I decided not to call her and see how long it took to call me. That was about 12 years ago and I haven't heard from her since. It was one of the best decisions of my life. I could stop agonizing over the negative, guilty feelings that came every time I spent time with her. Give yourself permission to let go of this person and what are clearly HER issues if you need it.

We are sort of forced into it at work (small office). But yes, the friendship is worthwhile as she has a lot of good qualities.
  • jaga13
    Options
    spernoud wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a yo-yo dieter so I know my friends roll their eyes every time I say I'm going to stick to 'such and such' diet this time, but they are always encouraging. I'm going to share every time I have a great workout, but not necessarily the pint of ice cream I devoured the night before. We all have a general understanding that I'm a hypocrite, but the point is I want to be better, right?

I love this! Sounds like you have a good attitude and great friends.

I agree! It is totally fine to highlight the good stuff. My issue with this friend is more that she'll constantly judge others.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I also had a friend like this. She's twice my size and always calling me fat. She recently posted progress photos to Facebook of her weight loss since college. I'm almost positive she's gained weight.

We used to live together and she would belittle my eating habits and tell me that spinach was for anorexics. Then she'd go deep fry sausage and then tell me it was healthy because it was deep fried in olive oil - obviously. She also believed that a 1 litre container of hummas with a box of crackers was a healthy snack. She was a hypochodriac spoiled psychopath who cried special snowflake self diagnosis of some known only to Tumblr illness when things didn't go exactly her way.

Needless to say, b*tch drove me crazy, I moved out, life got better. She used to Facebook me once in awhile to brag about her weight loss, belittle me and my efforts and update me on how much better she is than everyone else. Also to give me update like "I finally figured out this whole time I've been gluten intolerant. Now I'm losing so much weight and I feel better. You should try it so you can lose weight too. You'll feel so much better." "I didn't realize that it was really a flavanoid deficiency. Now I'm taking supplements and I've lost so much weight and become a consultant - you should get some too so you can be less fat." I kinda lost my *kitten* after that last one and I haven't heard from her since. She hasn't been missed.
    All that and you never blocked her???

• jaga13
    Options
    I also had a friend like this. She's twice my size and always calling me fat. She recently posted progress photos to Facebook of her weight loss since college. I'm almost positive she's gained weight.

We used to live together and she would belittle my eating habits and tell me that spinach was for anorexics. Then she'd go deep fry sausage and then tell me it was healthy because it was deep fried in olive oil - obviously. She also believed that a 1 litre container of hummas with a box of crackers was a healthy snack. She was a hypochodriac spoiled psychopath who cried special snowflake self diagnosis of some known only to Tumblr illness when things didn't go exactly her way.

Needless to say, b*tch drove me crazy, I moved out, life got better. She used to Facebook me once in awhile to brag about her weight loss, belittle me and my efforts and update me on how much better she is than everyone else. Also to give me update like "I finally figured out this whole time I've been gluten intolerant. Now I'm losing so much weight and I feel better. You should try it so you can lose weight too. You'll feel so much better." "I didn't realize that it was really a flavanoid deficiency. Now I'm taking supplements and I've lost so much weight and become a consultant - you should get some too so you can be less fat." I kinda lost my *kitten* after that last one and I haven't heard from her since. She hasn't been missed.
    All that and you never blocked her???

Right?!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I agree it can be an interesting topic, but she isn't discussing from an open-minded or kind reference. It's simply "so and so should be eating this" and "all so and so needs to do is eat smaller portions." Constantly judging others. Not interesting or helpful.

Change the subject every single time. I would stop just listening and nodding.
    Or- Tell her straight that you aren't interested in what other people are eating or other people's weight. If she has advice for someone then she should go tell them not you.