SUGAR !!!

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I like how people are like, "A little sugar is fine!" No, OP is saying she eats a ton of sugar. And so do I. And that's fine as long as we're within our goals.

Almost. If you're not getting adequate nutrition to make room for the sugar, then it's a problem.

Nutritional needs should always be paramount.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I like how people are like, "A little sugar is fine!" No, OP is saying she eats a ton of sugar. And so do I. And that's fine as long as we're within our goals.

Where did she say that? This is exactly what she said, and I don't think she's been back since.
    I've found recently that I am really craving sugar! I stay well within my calories but it's mainly sweet snacks such as marshmallows and biscuits. Anyone else have this problem and what I can do to stop it lol

Also did this thread get shut down for a while? What happened? The peeps finally fought back, didn't they @tincanonastring ?

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as a 'ton' of sugar, let's call it 45-50 % of my daily calories which I think is a lot but I am having proper meals too. I'm not having biscuits for dinner , I'm new to this so I'm not sure about my thread being shut down or anything : / I appreciate everyone's feedback on this though so thanks

How much is your daily calorie allowance? Are some of the sugars coming from fruit?

That's a high percentage of intake to come from non-nutrient dense food.

Now... I am most definitely not against sugar or treat consumption in the least. But, as I tell my kids... dinner and veggies come first.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    1 ton of sugar is 907,184 grams, which works out to about 3,628,738 calories. Yeah, you might want to cut back.

Hey...IIFYM...
    If that fits your macros, chances are your protein requirements could depopulate a state's wildlife population.

I wonder what that would even feel like...if it was possible...to consume that much and metabolize it...

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1 ton of sugar is 907,184 grams

Only in America.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Only in America.
    Those are called a metric ton when good proper Americans have the misfortune to have to deal with units that didn't come from America.
  • yarwell
    Options

Only in America.
    Those are called a metric ton when good proper Americans have the misfortune to have to deal with units that didn't come from America.

I think Americans created the 2000 lb ton for themselves, but I may be wrong.
  • senecarr
    Options

Only in America.

I think Americans created the 2000 lb ton for themselves, but I may be wrong.

It was sarcasm as Americans use the English system, give or take wonky gallon differences.
    I'd prefer we'd switch to the metric system by now.
  • yarwell
    edited June 2015
    Options
    England didn't use a 2000 lb ton in the last 50 years at least. There are many differences, as many hours of my life can testify :-( I'm surprised after the War of Independence you didn't adopt the metric system and speak French ;-)

Our imperial ton is 2240 lbs being 20 cwt of 112 lbs where each is 8 stones of 14 lbs each.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    No she did not...

I mean, 45-50% IS a lot. She said regarding her calories that "it's mainly sweet snacks such as marshmallows and biscuits." Maybe I'm just thinking everyone is me, lol. I might have read it wrong, too.

where did you get 50% from?????
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    @Jackie0Marie There can be consequences to sugary foods.
    n91if8t0p6ix.gif

@mattyc772014 It's no laughing matter. You never know what kind of complications could arise.
    EGwFqjL.gif
  • yarwell
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No she did not...

I mean, 45-50% IS a lot. She said regarding her calories that "it's mainly sweet snacks such as marshmallows and biscuits." Maybe I'm just thinking everyone is me, lol. I might have read it wrong, too.

the OP posted "Yeah I wouldn't go as far as a 'ton' of sugar, let's call it 45-50 % of my daily calories which I think is a lot but I am having proper meals too. "

about 10pm
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No she did not...

the OP posted "Yeah I wouldn't go as far as a 'ton' of sugar, let's call it 45-50 % of my daily calories which I think is a lot but I am having proper meals too. "

about 10pm

hmmm I don't see where OP ever came back….
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    Sorry, friends! I came into this conversation late and saw a video of a cute little girl snapping her fingers. I quoted it with +10000. I didn't realize this person was being "modded"? (new word for me). I sincerely just liked his video. I thought she was adorable. :weary:

That never happened. I don't know what you're talking about.

Lol trouble maker. That cute kid got me a warning!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Eat some biscuits or marshmallows?

Unless you have a medical reason for limiting sugar, there's no reason you can't work the occasional treat into your calorie goals.

+1

+2

Moderation of all foods (except the ones you don't like... cause... gross).

+ 3

+4

+5

Make sure you are getting adequate supply of proteins and fats from eating a variety of foods, and not exceeding a sensible calorie deficit following the MFP recommendation, and you should find that your cravings subside.

THIS! I find that I crave sweets more when I have not eaten enough good food during the day!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

Where did she say that? This is exactly what she said, and I don't think she's been back since.
    I've found recently that I am really craving sugar! I stay well within my calories but it's mainly sweet snacks such as marshmallows and biscuits. Anyone else have this problem and what I can do to stop it lol

Also did this thread get shut down for a while? What happened? The peeps finally fought back, didn't they @tincanonastring ?

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as a 'ton' of sugar, let's call it 45-50 % of my daily calories which I think is a lot but I am having proper meals too. I'm not having biscuits for dinner , I'm new to this so I'm not sure about my thread being shut down or anything : / I appreciate everyone's feedback on this though so thanks

45-50% of your calories from sugar!? Yeah, I would see that as a problem. Or do you mean 45-50% from total carbs? How much fiber do you typically get?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My best month of weight loss was one where 75%+ of my diet was cookies (biscuits). I'd have 1200 calories worth of them for breakfast alone. And I've lost a total of 25 pounds while eating sugar well beyond moderation. You're fine as long as you're under your goal and don't have a medical condition where you need to limit sugar.

No way that can be healthy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My best month of weight loss was one where 75%+ of my diet was cookies (biscuits). I'd have 1200 calories worth of them for breakfast alone. And I've lost a total of 25 pounds while eating sugar well beyond moderation. You're fine as long as you're under your goal and don't have a medical condition where you need to limit sugar.

Yeah nothing balanced about any of that...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Losing weight is not necessarily a sign that "You're fine"
  • yarwell
    Options

hmmm I don't see where OP ever came back….

2y02tqr7fcg4.png
  • senecarr
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Losing weight is not necessarily a sign that "You're fine"

You're both being assumptive. Generally speaking, losing weight, even with what looks like poor nutrition, can still cause improvements in health markers.
    cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
    For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.
    His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.
    But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.
    Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.