Would you take it back?

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
I just saw a video on CNN.com that as she left for the hospital to give birth, a woman stashed her $23.000 3 carat custom made wedding ring her husband's otherwise empty watch box on a shelf in her closet. She placed it under one of the pillows in one of the compartments of the box.

While she was in the hospital (a 4 day stay) her family participated in a community yardsale. As her husband was gathering items of the sale he took the box off the shelf, opened it, saw nothing in it (as he didn't pick up the pillows) and then sold it for $10. They don't know who bought the box, only that it was a woman.

The woman who bought the box was purchasing a watch box for $10, the man who was selling it was selling a watch box for $10. The couple has made a plea for the return of the ring (with small reward).

Would you keep the ring (finders keepers, I bought the sob for $10 fair and square) or would you return the ring (I know, in all reality, that the man was only intending to sell the box and didn't know the ring was there)?

I know how much each piece of jewelry I own means to me. I'd wear the ring for a week just to know what it's like to sport that kind of bling, and then I'd take it back. I'm not certain that I'd even want the small reward.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I'd take it back.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I WOULD return it. Though there would be a part of my brain saying "man they owned a $23,000 single piece of jewelry, EFF them".

But if you don't return it Karma will rape you up the *kitten*
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    someone's wedding ring - yes. It's not about the $ value, it's the sentimental value. I would be heart broken if I lost my wedding ring.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't need the money so I would probably take it back unless I didn't like said people.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I think I'd return it. Knowing how physically ill losing my own custom engagement ring would make me (even though it's not worth NEARLY as much as the other lady's) I just don't think I could live with myself knowing I caused somebody else that kind of pain.

Like you said, I might keep it for a few days, just to admire it, then do the right thing and bring it back. I might be tempted to accept the reward, though. Just 'cause I'm broke. :)
  • _cdngirl71_
    _cdngirl71_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I would give it back. I'd feel way too guilty to keep someones ring.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I would take it back. I wouldn't feel right keeping it and would hope that if anything like that remotely happened to me they would do the same. One word....Kharma
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I WOULD return it. Though there would be a part of my brain saying "man they owned a $23,000 single piece of jewelry, EFF them".

But if you don't return it Karma will rape you up the *kitten*

this.
    can they afford another? maybe.
    does it have any bearing on my decision? no.
    could i use the money that i'd get if i sold the ring? omg yes.

but i like to think that i am morally and ethically sound.

if i were in their shoes, i would hope very much that someone would make the decision to return it.
  • MrsJ1105
    MrsJ1105 Posts: 34
    Options
    I've thought I lost my wedding ring before and the panic that set in was HORRIBLE. I'd definitely return it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Without the slightest doubt I would return it.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would return it. I am having more trouble deciding whether or not to accept the reward. I might make them donate the award to a charity in my name.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Oh, the woman who bought the box knew the ring was in there.

Come on, would YOU buy any kind of box/bag from a yard sale without looking inside?

Hell, I stop at yard sales etc. JUST to look into boxes and purses for hidden treasure.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Do the people at the antique road show who buy tiffany lamps or high dollar antiques from ignorant people for $20 bucks at yard sales return the item? Hell no all sales are final lol.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Oh, the woman who bought the box knew the ring was in there.

Come on, would YOU buy any kind of box/bag from a yard sale without looking inside?

Hell, I stop at yard sales etc. JUST to look into boxes and purses for hidden treasure.

so you would take advantage of this situation.

like a "snooze you lose kinda thing"?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Give it back no reward needed. It is a symbol of their marriage and not something to be seen as property to be bargained for.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I prefer that karma have no reason to hunt me down for retributive justice.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would most definitely return it. You'd be a jerk not to.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Give it back no reward needed. It is a symbol of their marriage and not something to be seen as property to be bargained for.

Bah there are 3 rings that symbolize marriage and karma is bs while luck is not.
    engagement ring
    Marriage ring
    Suffering
    and while he is suffering I am going on a long needed vacation for $10 bucks from a LUCKY days find. woohoo

Hawaiian-Vacations.jpg
    :laugh::drinker:
  • wendy0210
    wendy0210 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, yes, I'd return it, and wouldn't even accept the reward.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Their insurance should cover the monetary loss, but that's not why you should return it.

Its not yours. It wasn't intended to be yours. Keep the watch you paid for and return the ring.

No reward needed, but since its their mistake they should do the driving to come pick it up.