peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Zinc
    B-Complex
    Vitamins C,D,E
    Magnesium
    Niacin

I'd recommend zinc because it's not in a lot of foods, a b-complex since those are very important and magnesium since it's difficult to get enough.

I'll definitely have to look into these! Thank you :)
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have to take vitamins due to the fact that I have become anemic.
    I take the following:
    Multi-vitamin
    B-12
    prescription Iron
    prescription potassium

twice a month I will get a b-12 shot to "pump up" those are always nice.

But I long for the days when my body was healthy enough to do it without all this help.

Live and learn! :)
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    - woman's multivitamin that is lilac and does not smell bad
    - 5-HTP so that emotions do not go to *kitten*, and sleep schedule is only kind-of nocturnal
    - should be taking B-12 once I buy more

I took 5-HTP previously when I felt it was necessary but I didn't add it to my daily regimen. Love that stuff!
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    multivitamin
    fish oil
    potassium
    vitamin D (prescription)
    l-carnitine
    DIM
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Men's multivitamin once/day with breakfast. What I haven't seen mentioned here is that men should NOT be taking any iron supplements, or a multivitamin with iron, unless they're dealing with a condition that causes chronic blood loss. Women should, however.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I occasionally take magnesium (when I have musle cramps) and probiotic (when I'm constipated).

There is such a thing as too much vitamin, especially with vitamin A.

What happens if I take too much vitamin A?

According to some research, having more than an average of 1.5mg a day of vitamin A over many years may affect your bones, making them more likely to fracture when you are older.

This is particularly important for older people, especially women, who are already at risk of osteoporosis. This is where your bone density reduces and you have a higher risk of fractures.
    How much vitamin A is it safe for me to eat?

At the moment, the safe level of vitamin A consumption is the source of fierce debate. There has been evidence linking high intakes of vitamin A with an increased risk of bone fracture, but not all studies have found this link.

In 2003, a large safety review by a team of experts in the UK said that they could not define a safe maximum intake, but they cautioned people about long term consumption of more than 1,500 microgrammes per day.

The link between vitamin A consumption and bone fracture relates to vitamin A in the form of retinol (often just called vitamin A). It is not linked to the consumption of beta-carotene that your body converts into vitamin A.

Do you only get vitamin A in high dose supplements?

No. Vitamin A is found in food, particularly liver, oily fish and dairy products. Many one-a-day multivitamins also contain about 800 microgrammes of vitamin A. Another common source is cod liver oil.

If you are concerned about the amount of vitamin A you consume you should discuss it with your doctor.

Btw there was quite an informaive BBC Horizon documentary called The Truth About Vitamins. It oes through each one and it also provides background on how the whole industry started.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    Per my doctors recommendation:
    B12
    D3

He also says the same as @Troutsy did; only "supplement" where there is a deficiency.........
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Iron replacement when I remember (borderline low ferritin).

Through winter I may take an all-rounder multivitamin but it's not something I worry about.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    alykief wrote: »
    What vitamins or supplements do you take on a daily basis? Just interested! I'll list mine below:

Women's Multi-Vitamin
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin C
    B12
    B6
    Calcium
    Cranberry Extract
    Blueberry Extract
    Gingko Biloba
    DHA
    Cod Liver Oil
    Women's Probiotic
    Garlic
    Ubiquinol
    Milk Thistle
    Fish, Flax & Borage Oils

What do you take and/or suggest? For me, this combination was life changing. I was having several health problems, diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder and lots of issues stemming from that, and after being on these vitamins for two-months now, I've noticed a HUGE change in my well being. I'm always interested to know what types of vitamins and supplements helped others! Share your story!

This is a lot of pills, and I don't know why anyone would take all of this. What on earth is the point of the cranberry extract, the gingko biloba, the garlic, the ubiquinol, and the milk thistle? What benefit do they offer you other than the placebo effect?

B12, B6, and Vitamin C are water soluble vitamins. They are filtered through the kidneys where excess is excreted as waste. If the multi you are taking already has these vitamins in them, you are probably quite literally flushing the money you spend on the extra supplements down the toilet. Your body doesn't reap any extra benefits from taking 1000% daily recommended intake of the water-soluble vitamins.

At the MOST, I'd stick to the multi, the vitamin D (only if you're deficient, but be careful you're not getting too much between the D supplement and the multi), the calcium (again only if you're deficient), and maybe the probiotic and a fish oil. I don't see any reason to take anything more unless you are truly deficient in something.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Btw there was quite an informaive BBC Horizon documentary called The Truth About Vitamins. It oes through each one and it also provides background on how the whole industry started.

I love that documentary! That's actually where I got the information. And it's available on youtube if anybody is interested.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I take:

D3 (I was deficient)
    Fish Oil (on days I don't eat fish)
    Probiotics (on days I don't have yogurt)
    Calcium/Magnesium
    I sometimes take COQ10, but the good quality stuff is expensive and honestly I'm not sure it's worth it.
    Sometimes in the winter I will add a green complex or something like that to my smoothies because the variety of fresh veg can be pretty bleak, but again I'm not really sure it's worth it :)
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    [quote/]
    This is a lot of pills, and I don't know why anyone would take all of this. What on earth is the point of the cranberry extract, the gingko biloba, the garlic, the ubiquinol, and the milk thistle? What benefit do they offer you other than the placebo effect?

B12, B6, and Vitamin C are water soluble vitamins. They are filtered through the kidneys where excess is excreted as waste. If the multi you are taking already has these vitamins in them, you are probably quite literally flushing the money you spend on the extra supplements down the toilet. Your body doesn't reap any extra benefits from taking 1000% daily recommended intake of the water-soluble vitamins.

At the MOST, I'd stick to the multi, the vitamin D (only if you're deficient, but be careful you're not getting too much between the D supplement and the multi), the calcium (again only if you're deficient), and maybe the probiotic and a fish oil. I don't see any reason to take anything more unless you are truly deficient in something.
    [/quote]

As per earlier posts, I'm going to be eliminating D, C and both B vitamins. Keeping the calcium, as it has been a necessity since a young age.

The cranberry extract helps immensely when you have chronic UTI's. I drink 12 cups of water per day (some days, even more) and the UTI's just kept coming. I ended up having a stent put in my urethra and to no avail, still continued. The urologist suggested either drinking cranberry juice daily or taking a supplement and it has decreased the UTI's incredibly. I was having at least one per month, and I'm down to about 3 x year.

As for gingko and garlic - taken for circulatory health (another existing health issue which I deal with stemming from my auto-immune disorder..prone to blood clots and prior to taking these my veins would pop and the hematologist could not figure out the cause. Still happens occasionally but not to the extent that it used to.
  • peaceout_aly
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I love that documentary! That's actually where I got the information. And it's available on youtube if anybody is interested.

I'm going to look into this tonight! Thanks for sharing
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Alive woman's vitamin
    Calcium + vitamin D
    Iron
    B12
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Women's one-a-day muti-vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin D (mostly in winter months)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Men's multivitamin once/day with breakfast. What I haven't seen mentioned here is that men should NOT be taking any iron supplements, or a multivitamin with iron, unless they're dealing with a condition that causes chronic blood loss. Women should, however.

That's because men need 8 mg of iron a day and women (at least until menopause) need 18. And yet nutritional labels are geared to men. So if it says 40% DV iron, it's only 40% of 8 mg which is 3.2 mg... only 17.8% for women. Super annoying. They should just put the mg of iron.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    cranberry is
    alykief wrote: »
    [quote/]

The cranberry extract helps immensely when you have chronic UTI's. I drink 12 cups of water per day (some days, even more) and the UTI's just kept coming. I ended up having a stent put in my urethra and to no avail, still continued. The urologist suggested either drinking cranberry juice daily or taking a supplement and it has decreased the UTI's incredibly. I was having at least one per month, and I'm down to about 3 x year.

I had a friend with the same problem. she cut out all the fake sugars. it's helped tremendously. I don't know why but just a thought
    cranberry extract is amazing
    garlic is also a appetite enhancer so be careful...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Kirkland multi vitamin
    Omega 3s 3 caps 2x daily
    Beta alanine and creatine tabs 2x daily
  • DJLS81
    DJLS81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the following on a daily basis

Strong multi vitamin
    Vitamin C
    Magnesium
    Blended fish oils
    Turmeric
    Pre-Biotics

I have crohns so a healthy diet and these vitamins are one of the options I have the other been immunosuppressive drugs and steroids, I know which ones I'd sooner be having and it's not the strong drugs.

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    pregnancy multi as per docs instructions to avoid vitamin A
    vitamin D as im vitamin D deficient
    iron as im deficient
    3 monthly b12 injection as im unable to absorb b12