Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
Yup you have all probably noticed it…People do not know how to order at restaurants any more! This is really disturbing stuff. There has been a definite uptick in the number of "help, I don't know what to order at this restaurant." The primary culprit seems to be Mexican restaurants, which make sense because after Tequila and Margaritas most of us can barely make it to the bathroom, much less order some food.

So here are my helpful tips for everyone that has "forgotten" how to order at restaurants…

1. Select restaurant and determine if you are going for a blow out "I don't give a damn about calories type night", or just a "I want to stay within my calorie target night."
2. order drink
3. review menu
4. While reviewing menu if you selected blow out option in step 1 then just get whatever you want to eat; however, if you went with stay within calorie option then you should probably go with the the lighter fair such as grilled chicken and vegetables or something similar.
5. make dinner selection
6. eat dinner and have some more drinks
7. enjoy the evening
8. pay
9. leave the restaurant

This nine step plan can be used at any eating establishment and is even transferable to cookouts.

Good luck, and remember it is just a restaurant not complex physics….

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I approve of this plan and practice it at least once a week. I'm so glad it's not rocket science.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Funny! Last night I went for the stay within my calories option and ordered tortilla soup thinking it would be fairly well balanced and not too high in calories. After I tasted it I decided to go for the blowout option. It was the best tortilla soup I've ever had and was loaded with cheese and little tortilla strips, avocado and more cheese. It actually had little squares of jack cheese in it......OMG......so good!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I approve of this plan and practice it at least once a week. I'm so glad it's not rocket science.

well you are definitely one of the ones in the minority ….
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    #1 is pretty much it.

We've always gone out frequently (3-4x/wk) so it's not usually something I think of as a splurge meal. But for people who go less often it seems like it often is and in those cases just go and enjoy yourselves and be done with it. Don't stress.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I just find it strange..

are people really this helpless???
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So I agree about not letting eating at a restaurant cripple you with anxiety... However, I do think if someone knows where they are going ahead of time, looking at the menu, or even looking on the website for nutritional info can help plan the meal, the day, even the week.

Personally I love getting excited about my meal, especially at a great restaurant, so I may take a gander at whether the chicken saltimbocca or the seafood cannelloni is a better option for my day (and by better option I mean, which one might enable me to have wine AND tiramisu). That doesn't mean that when I get there and the server says the chef's special is lobster risotto that I wouldn't go with that choice...

The thing that kills me is when people don't even want to go to restaurants because they are so concerned it will ruin their progress...
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll just repeat step 2 multiple times and then skip to step 7.

Am I going to die?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    So I agree about not letting eating at a restaurant cripple you with anxiety... However, I do think if someone knows where they are going ahead of time, looking at the menu, or even looking on the website for nutritional info can help plan the meal, the day, even the week.

Personally I love getting excited about my meal, especially at a great restaurant, so I may take a gander at whether the chicken saltimbocca or the seafood cannelloni is a better option for my day (and by better option I mean, which one might enable me to have wine AND tiramisu). That doesn't mean that when I get there and the server says the chef's special is lobster risotto that I wouldn't go with that choice...

The thing that kills me is when people don't even want to go to restaurants because they are so concerned it will ruin their progress...

pretty much that.

I eat out at least one to two times a week and it has not ruined my progress. I usually guestimate the portion and what it is and go from there..if the restaurant menu is online even better..but if go over by 200 calories I am not going to meltdown….

but if you think about it ..one should not have a hard time know if something is caloric dense or not….if you are getting chicken with a cream sauce more than likely you are having a 700 + calorie meal ..if you are getting a 6 oz filet and vegetables you are probably closer to 500 calories….
  • arditarose
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Am I going to die?

Why you don't invite me?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Am I going to die?

you are already dead….
  • ndj1979
    Options

Am I going to die?

Why you don't invite me?

how about the both of you invite me?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Like I wrote in the other thread, i'm sure op is referring to...I just make sure I burn 1000000000 calories xtra that week and Im covered.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Am I going to die?

No but can I join you next time!?

• arditarose
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Am I going to die?

Why you don't invite me?

Because I'm afraid of your vodka water. It could get me in trouble.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Like I wrote in the other thread, i'm sure op is referring to...I just make sure I burn 1000000000 calories xtra that week and Im covered.

how do you burn that many calories? Treadmill all day??????
  • ndj1979
    Options

Am I going to die?

Why you don't invite me?

Because I'm afraid of your vodka water. It could get me in trouble.

bahahahahahahahaha…

it has been known too….

be afraid, be very afraid...
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options

how do you burn that many calories? Treadmill all day??????

That and I just walk non stop all week long. All so I can have a real fattening Mexican burrito..lol

Seriously...I do make sure I work out a little extra for the next few days. Just so my weekly calorie deficit stay the same.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yup you have all probably noticed it…People do not know how to order at restaurants any more! This is really disturbing stuff. There has been a definite uptick in the number of "help, I don't know what to order at this restaurant." The primary culprit seems to be Mexican restaurants, which make sense because after Tequila and Margaritas most of us can barely make it to the bathroom, much less order some food.

So here are my helpful tips for everyone that has "forgotten" how to order at restaurants…

1. Select restaurant and determine if you are going for a blow out "I don't give a damn about calories type night", or just a "I want to stay within my calorie target night."
    2. order drink
    3. review menu
    4. While reviewing menu if you selected blow out option in step 1 then just get whatever you want to eat; however, if you went with stay within calorie option then you should probably go with the the lighter fair such as grilled chicken and vegetables or something similar.
    5. make dinner selection
    6. eat dinner and have some more drinks
    7. enjoy the evening
    8. pay
    9. leave the restaurant

This nine step plan can be used at any eating establishment and is even transferable to cookouts.

Good luck, and remember it is just a restaurant not complex physics….

Just as @tincanonastring was saying, people flagging are getting out of control. What on earth about this post deserves a flag????
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

pretty much that.

I eat out at least one to two times a week and it has not ruined my progress. I usually guestimate the portion and what it is and go from there..if the restaurant menu is online even better..but if go over by 200 calories I am not going to meltdown….

but if you think about it ..one should not have a hard time know if something is caloric dense or not….if you are getting chicken with a cream sauce more than likely you are having a 700 + calorie meal ..if you are getting a 6 oz filet and vegetables you are probably closer to 500 calories….

Oh agreed. There are a few surprises now and again when you go to log something, especially when first starting, but for the most part if you keep the same rules in mind that you use at home, and assume that every dish starts and ends with at least an extra tablespoon of butter, then it is possible to be reasonably accurate with logging restaurant meals.