Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Flags cleaned up as well as associated post referencing the flags. Oh and other over the top post cleaned.

thanks man!
    One thing that could help a bit more would be to add different strategies if people know they are going out in a few days. Or foods to concentrate on to help stay within the limits.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Flags cleaned up as well as associated post referencing the flags. Oh and other over the top post cleaned.

thanks man!
    One thing that could help a bit more would be to add different strategies if people know they are going out in a few days. Or foods to concentrate on to help stay within the limits.

I find pre logging helps …then you can play around with breakfast and lunch and take away some stuff to save calories for dinner….
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I actually dissected a kebab today to figure out the calorie content. lol

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yup you have all probably noticed it…People do not know how to order at restaurants any more! This is really disturbing stuff. There has been a definite uptick in the number of "help, I don't know what to order at this restaurant." The primary culprit seems to be Mexican restaurants, which make sense because after Tequila and Margaritas most of us can barely make it to the bathroom, much less order some food.

So here are my helpful tips for everyone that has "forgotten" how to order at restaurants…

1. Select restaurant and determine if you are going for a blow out "I don't give a damn about calories type night", or just a "I want to stay within my calorie target night."
    2. order drink
    3. review menu
    4. While reviewing menu if you selected blow out option in step 1 then just get whatever you want to eat; however, if you went with stay within calorie option then you should probably go with the the lighter fair such as grilled chicken and vegetables or something similar.
    5. make dinner selection
    6. eat dinner and have some more drinks
    7. enjoy the evening
    8. pay
    9. leave the restaurant

This nine step plan can be used at any eating establishment and is even transferable to cookouts.

Good luck, and remember it is just a restaurant not complex physics….

Thumbs Up - That's how I do it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.
    Snort!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I know those feels.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    axilious wrote: »
    Good luck, and remember it is just a restaurant not complex physics….

People need to remember that counting calories isn't an exact science (in this particular case at least). The end goal should be to become more aware of what and how much you are consuming. Wholly agree with you.

Yes! This isn't a "diet", it's a lifestyle change. It's making things work to reach the goal you want, and if that's enjoying a night of Mexican food, make it work! Go over? Either burn a little more calories with some extra exercise or eat at a larger deficit the next day or few days if it's that concerning. If it's not, then move on, and keep going. If one doesn't go over, awesome! It's all about learning how to adapt this new lifestyle in all aspects, right?
  • psuLemon
    Options

thanks man!

I find pre logging helps …then you can play around with breakfast and lunch and take away some stuff to save calories for dinner….
    You and i are very much alike. I do that and if i wanna go real big (like 2k cal prime rib meal from firebirds wood grill), then i bank a few days prior or after.
  • ndj1979
    Options

did you put peeps back in?
  • ndj1979
    Options

thanks man!

You and i are very much alike. I do that and if i wanna go real big (like 2k cal prime rib meal from firebirds wood grill), then i bank a few days prior or after.

I will do that too ..

OR

I will eat like 400 under my goal on Sunday to make up for it or something….
  • tincanonastring
    Options

thanks man!

I do this, too. It takes a while to realize that the days don't exist in a vacuum. I'll compensate for a larger meal or a heavy day by shaving off the excess from some prior or post days.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.
  • arditarose
    Options

thanks man!

I will do that too ..

OR

I will eat like 400 under my goal on Sunday to make up for it or something….

Ditto. Sundays can sometimes be a sad looking day in my diary. Or not-if I decide not to care ;)
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options

thanks man!

Agreed. And yes, I did plan the delicious quarter pounder, large fries, diet coke, Oreo ice cream, and watermelon I had tonight for dinner. Went over my calories, but I knew I would, and that's ok. :)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I'm 10 minutes from Center City (on the Jersey side of the Delaware) and can hear the stadium fireworks from my front yard. You nearby?
  • raelynnsmama52512
    Options

did you put peeps back in?

:laugh:
  • arditarose
    Options

I never heard anyone call it that until I moved to PA too.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If results are any indication, you should always get the fried clam strips with cole slaw, fries, and tartar sauce, followed by a medium vanilla soft serve cone with butterscotch dip.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I never heard anyone call it that until I moved to PA too.

It's so weird how they use the wrong word everywhere else!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I like to order a few appetizers gorge on that stuff and eat a bite or two of the main dish. I take the left overs home and i look like im eating healthy but really the server and i know otherwise.