Disturbing trend on MFP….

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    While agree that these types of posts and others like it are annoying. The way I get around them is not to reply to them, just scroll on by until I find one of interest :drinker:

I spend faaaarrr too much time on this forum as it is, without reading through each and every thread.
    I also don't click on the ones with obscure titles or ones simply saying "HELP!!!!!"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I actually dissected a kebab today to figure out the calorie content. lol

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

I never heard anyone call it that until I moved to PA too.

It's so weird how they use the wrong word everywhere else!

ahahaha. I'm back in NYC. Land of the sub/hero.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

I took apart a damn tuna hoagie the other day to weigh the individual components. The extra helping of shame put me over my calorie goal for the day.

Sorry for the off topic but are you from near Philly? There arent many people that i know who call it a hoagie.

Tell me about it.

Try to ask anyone what water ice is and their head will spin... oh i miss ritas!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Tell me about it.

Try to ask anyone what water ice is and their head will spin... oh i miss ritas!

First day of Spring is the best!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Flags cleaned up as well as associated post referencing the flags. Oh and other over the top post cleaned.

thanks man!
    One thing that could help a bit more would be to add different strategies if people know they are going out in a few days. Or foods to concentrate on to help stay within the limits.

Planning has made all the difference for me.

If I know what restaurant I'm going to, I'll check the menu online to figure out what I want and have a couple of backup meals in case that location doesn't serve my planned meal. If the restaurant doesn't have any info online, I'll eat light during the day, do a little extra exercise, and then do the best I can with the knowledge I have when I'm ordering.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    If results are any indication, you should always get the fried clam strips with cole slaw, fries, and tartar sauce, followed by a medium vanilla soft serve cone with butterscotch dip.

oh man, whenever I go back north to Boston I always get a fried clam plate…so freaking good!!!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I go straight to "blow out" at Buffalo Wild Wings. One look at the menu and I'm like "Gotta have cheese curds! Oh look mojitos. I love their mojitos, I'll have one of those. Boneless wings with sauce on the side and all the blue cheese you will give me plz! I need another mojito." DH got to BWW before me last night and ordered a veggie app and barred me from ordering a fried app saying the boneless wings was enough fried food for one meal. :grumble:
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I go straight to "blow out" at Buffalo Wild Wings. One look at the menu and I'm like "Gotta have cheese curds! Oh look mojitos. I love their mojitos, I'll have one of those. Boneless wings with sauce on the side and all the blue cheese you will give me plz! I need another mojito." DH got to BWW before me last night and ordered a veggie app and barred me from ordering a fried app saying the boneless wings was enough fried food for one meal. :grumble:

yea, when football season rolls aroundI am a buffalo wing and beer nazi …coincidently, that is right when bulking season starts..hmmmmm
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    I order beer then wings and wedges
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You forgot the part where you shove finger foods in front of your toddler so he doesn't take a margarita bath and then shuffle your four-year-old to the bathroom and miss the waiter taking your order....
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I just find it strange..

are people really this helpless???

No, they're not helpless, they're learning. We all know that people come here with varying beliefs about nutrition, food, and weight loss.

So new users join the site, they learn about calorie deficits and weighing food, and start losing weight. Everything is going great, they're seeing losses on the scales, and they're happy. They've probably got some niche meals that they eat regularly because they know the calories and macros for those meals, and have gotten comfortable with their routine.

Then the inevitable night out/party/event arrives, and they're not sure what to do. They don't want to slow their progress, but they want to have fun. So they come here asking the usual questions - what do I order? How do I figure out portion sizes by eyeballing? Should I exercise more that day? What about other foods, should I not eat other meals just in case? We've all seen questions like that, and some of us may have even asked them ourselves.

Then the night comes, they have a good time, get on the scale, and find out that everything's ok. That one night didn't derail their progress, and it's what they do the majority of the time that matters.

Everyone on this site has had to figure something out during this process; some people are still figuring things out as they go. That's not a character flaw, it's part of being human, and the entire point of these forums is for people to interact, support, and learn from one another. There's no shame in asking questions of others to help you reach your goals, and if someone finds another user's question to be a bother…they don't have to respond.

Thank you :)

I went to a pizza place one day with my son...they didn't have nutrition information...I panicked...turned around and left and went where I knew that they had the info. By the time I got home I had made up my mind that wouldn't happen again...wasn't going to live my life that way.

I think that some forget that they have to live...one day the weight will be gone and they have to know how to eat at that point in all kinds of situations. If they don't...they have a greater chance of gaining the weight back.

• ndj1979
    Options
    You forgot the part where you shove finger foods in front of your toddler so he doesn't take a margarita bath and then shuffle your four-year-old to the bathroom and miss the waiter taking your order....

what are these children you speak of..???
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I just find it strange..

are people really this helpless???

No, they're not helpless, they're learning. We all know that people come here with varying beliefs about nutrition, food, and weight loss.

So new users join the site, they learn about calorie deficits and weighing food, and start losing weight. Everything is going great, they're seeing losses on the scales, and they're happy. They've probably got some niche meals that they eat regularly because they know the calories and macros for those meals, and have gotten comfortable with their routine.

Then the inevitable night out/party/event arrives, and they're not sure what to do. They don't want to slow their progress, but they want to have fun. So they come here asking the usual questions - what do I order? How do I figure out portion sizes by eyeballing? Should I exercise more that day? What about other foods, should I not eat other meals just in case? We've all seen questions like that, and some of us may have even asked them ourselves.

Then the night comes, they have a good time, get on the scale, and find out that everything's ok. That one night didn't derail their progress, and it's what they do the majority of the time that matters.

Everyone on this site has had to figure something out during this process; some people are still figuring things out as they go. That's not a character flaw, it's part of being human, and the entire point of these forums is for people to interact, support, and learn from one another. There's no shame in asking questions of others to help you reach your goals, and if someone finds another user's question to be a bother…they don't have to respond.

Well my thoughts and feelings are a bit different about the whole issue of "what must i eat, and help i am going out"

Its like people lose there total self thinking and figuring something out.
    What did they do before MFP... go to a support group? Phone 911 to inform what they must eat?

And sure you can ask questions and learn...but the last postings were even from people who lost 40 pound of weight. so pretty much know how it works.

So yeah to me it is really silly to come up with these kinda questions.

Noooooooooooo!

911 already gets enough ridiculous calls, let's not add another reason for people to call.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

yea, when football season rolls aroundI am a buffalo wing and beer nazi …coincidently, that is right when bulking season starts..hmmmmm

Sadly my decade long bulk cycle came to an end. :cry:

This trip down memory lane makes me so glad my girls are old enough to walk themselves to the bathroom. Also a solid reason as to why I was not sad DH didn't want a 3rd spawnling. ;)
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Get it right, it's a hero. ;)

My only thing with restaurants would be the sauces, if I even cared anymore. That's where the unknowns pop up for me. I've since learned that if I'm going to eat out, make it enjoyable. Besides, let's be real, even the way I used to drink (I can't handle as much Guinness as I used to), are you really likely to go that much overboard to derail weeks or months worth of work? Honestly, how many calories can one consume in one day without feeling sick?

At least, that's how I look at it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Throw him back!
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

This trip down memory lane makes me so glad my girls are old enough to walk themselves to the bathroom. Also a solid reason as to why I was not sad DH didn't want a 3rd spawnling. ;)

I look forward to the day my kid does this. At this rate, she'll be in pull-ups until she's 10... She inherited mine and DH's stubbornness, which is horrible when it comes to potty training :unamused:

Edited for quote fail, I hope.
    Maybe now?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Did that to a Walmart All American sub - once. Now I have the recipe and just weigh what I got. Boy was the database off by about 300 calories.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    FML, I forgot how to forum, apparently...
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow Im having Chicago Style pizza. I guess I can have once slice and that's my calorie allowance for that day.