Is it possible to 'become' a runner?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ronald_duke
    ronald_duke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share my experience with you. I actually stumbled upon becoming a runner without even training for it on purpose. I was just motivated to lose some weight so I started doing "Interval Training" inside the gym. I would set the treadmill on interval which generally means 2 min or jogging/running and 2 min walking. I did this on the treadmill for 32 min which is 8 sets off 2min run/2min walk. I did the same on the elliptical for 32 min after that. I lost about 30-40 lbs doing a solid hour of cardio after a few months.

I decided one day to jog outside because I haven't in awhile and because it was good weather. To my surprise I jogged 3.5 miles easier than I ever expected. After that I started running outside a few days a week with my some music to my ears and the Nike app and wala! I have ran up to 8 miles non-stop. I generally run on an average to 3-5 miles when I go out though. I don't participate in any official races but I now consider myself a runner.

It was all thanks to a lot of cardio with interval training. You should try it.....its hard but keep pushing. Do 60 days of Interval Training and then go for a run and see how you feel.
  • MeganKyGirl82
    MeganKyGirl82 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share my experience with you. I actually stumbled upon becoming a runner without even training for it on purpose. I was just motivated to lose some weight so I started doing "Interval Training" inside the gym. I would set the treadmill on interval which generally means 2 min or jogging/running and 2 min walking. I did this on the treadmill for 32 min which is 8 sets off 2min run/2min walk. I did the same on the elliptical for 32 min after that. I lost about 30-40 lbs doing a solid hour of cardio after a few months.

I decided one day to jog outside because I haven't in awhile and because it was good weather. To my surprise I jogged 3.5 miles easier than I ever expected. After that I started running outside a few days a week with my some music to my ears and the Nike app and wala! I have ran up to 8 miles non-stop. I generally run on an average to 3-5 miles when I go out though. I don't participate in any official races but I now consider myself a runner.

It was all thanks to a lot of cardio with interval training. You should try it.....its hard but keep pushing. Do 60 days of Interval Training and then go for a run and see how you feel.

Thank you for sharing this! I may be singing a different tune after a few days, but I was loving it today. Yeah Kentucky is hot and humid and miserable right now. Yeah I was running on dusty gravel haha ... but it felt liberating! Nothing to think about except running. Now that whole Forrest Gump running across country finally seems plausible ;) lol
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    SOOO very glad to see this thread! I tried running for the first time a couple of days ago, and then again this morning. I can walk fast like crazy, but running has always been... barf-inducing. Or maybe just the threat of barfing.

I usually walk at about 3.5 mph for 2 miles 3 times a week. Thursday, I ran at 5.5 mph for one minute at three points in the walk. This morning, I did it four times during the 2 miles at 6 mph. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My son is a distance runner (plus rugby) but he's also 21. He was talking about an upcoming Ragnar, and for kicks I asked what he would do if his 50-year-old, 43-pounds-overweight mom was on his team. He laughed because he knows I don't run, but eventually he said it would be cool. Assuming I don't make the team lose, of course. So now I'm learning to run.

Happy to see the success stories!
  • chubalicious1
    chubalicious1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    kygirl8282 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is yet another redundant post, I know how prevalent those are here, however...

Obviously I still have some work to do, but I consider myself to be in decent shape. I can handle a good solid hour to an hour and a half of cardio without being terribly winded. (I'm not sure if that's an appropriate measuring stick or not but hey its what I have to work with so bear with me here.)

I would love to be able to run. I AM NO RUNNER.

Last October my 10 year old daughter and I ran in a 5k Color Run. For those unfamiliar, a color run is more about the fun than the run. Proceeds from entry fees generally go to a charity. This one went to lymphoma. The idea is to dress up in white (my kid sported a white tutu) and run 5k while people dump color on you. At the end you look like a tie dyed sweaty mess.

My daughter absolutely loved it. She wants to run track some day. While I had a blast, this little event did a number on me. I felt like I had been through minor surgery for several days after. My entire body ached, and all I wanted to do was sleep. See ... I told you ... I am no runner!

So back to my point, is it possible to train yourself to run??? She wants to do another one and now her sister wants to as well. Advice much appreciated!

I started getting into running for couple years now, I start slow and am a slow runner. I don't run that much or I know I'd pick up my pace. I know the run u did, never did it but looks cool. I've done dirty girl mud run which is mostly obstacles, and a lot of fun. 5k's are a good start and just pace urself slow... If getting into running u could run little then walk then run little then walk... That's how I started. Good luck and add me!