If MFP Started Charging Fees

Options

Replies

• 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    More than likely not. I would expect a much better site if I did. Besides there is always something new and free out there to try.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i would consider a SMALL fee...i'm talkin a couple bucks a month.

if it were like $10/mo. no way.
    ive learned enough that i can go it alone at this point.

i would trade contact info with my peeps and gtfo.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    bunch of leaching LOLpoors in this thread...

I would probably pay a nominal fee.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellz to the naw. ain't nobody got time fo dat!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i would consider a SMALL fee...i'm talkin a couple bucks a month.

if it were like $10/mo. no way.
    ive learned enough that i can go it alone at this point.

i would trade contact info with my peeps and gtfo.

Yup info trading and then id be gone. I'm not gonna pay for a site that is always breaking down.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I would be tempted to pay a smal fee, no more than 3 bucks a month only if offered addtional features.
  • seefyboy
    seefyboy Posts: 68
    Options
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellz to the naw. ain't nobody got time fo dat!

You are the happiest looking woman I've ever seen in my life!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Here are the conditions for me paying:

1) They clean out the food database and add more foods from around the world. Like Asian cuisine etc.
    2) They hire people like Sara, taso, sidesteel as moderators or authors so people can find one stop peer-reviewed research backed information
    3) Make clearer forum guidelines
    4) Make the reports better and more useful. Right now I believe about 99.99% of the MFP population doesn't even use it.
    5) They sticky threads from groups like "Eat, train, progress" on the main boards so people know where to start. Right now people have no idea where to start and what to do. There is a very good reason for all the "how much should I eat" or "should I eat back my calories" etc. There is too much confusion and vague information from MFP directly. Some stickies on the forums would help.

I'm sure there are more but as of right now, they'd need at least these things before I consider giving them coins. This is an amazing site and I absolutely LOVE it though.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

1) They clean out the food database and add more foods from around the world. Like Asian cuisine etc.
    2) They hire people like Sara, taso, sidesteel as moderators or authors so people can find one stop peer-reviewed research backed information
    4) Make the reports better and more useful. Right now I beleive abotu 99.99% of the MFP population doesn't even use it.
    5) They sticky threads from groups like Eat, train, progress on the main boards so people know where to start.

I'm sure there are more but as of right now, they'd need at least these things before I consider giving them coins. This is an amazing site and I absolutely LOVE it though.

100% this
    Funny... Sara, Taso, and Sidesteel are my top choices too...hmmmm, must mean something...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There would have to be a LOT of improvements for me to be willing to pay. Taunto hit on some good ones. Virtually all the real content on this site is user-provided. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's very very bad.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    No. The reason I started using it was because the food database syncs with my BodyMedia (which I already pay a subscription for). I log on daily now for my friends and the support, but if MFP charged I'd just go to one the other large fitness tracking sites.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    No. Keep the advertisers who do pay for it, keep more members and more diversified opinions and information (I prefer the debate), and keep things the way they are.

As for moderators, as much as I appreciate anything that SS, Sara, et al add to the conversation, moderators really should be people who have no friends and stay out of the forums. Impartiality works best. Mod work is time consuming with the number of reports they have to deal with on a daily basis.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Can't, broke college student. Part of the reason I love this thing so much.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There would have to be a LOT of improvements for me to be willing to pay. Taunto hit on some good ones. Virtually all the real content on this site is user-provided. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's very very bad.

Agree....broscience should be free.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Not unless they make some serious changes. I like the way MFP works, but there are some updates that I would expect to be in place if it were a paid for site.
  • marhattap
    marhattap Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    What site are you referring to, if you don't mind me asking :)
    nope that's why I am here, I belonged to a different free site, they began to charge, and most didn't stay.
    its now a dead site.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    No. Keep the advertisers who do pay for it, keep more members and more diversified opinions and information (I prefer the debate), and keep things the way they are.

As for moderators, as much as I appreciate anything that SS, Sara, et al add to the conversation, moderators really should be people who have no friends and stay out of the forums. Impartiality works best. Mod work is time consuming with the number of reports they have to deal with on a daily basis.

I have been an avid internet forums users for many years and have been admin on many very popular sites (though not nearly as popular as MFP). MFP is currently the ONLY forums I have ever seen where the admins/mods don't participate and interact with its users. Frankly, as much as I love the work mods do on MFP, I believe that is a TERRIBLE thing to do. Admittedly there has been improvements since Olivia came but the ground reality is... that the mods of this site just don't understand its own sites culture. That is why there is such a high conflict between users and mods on this site. I understand that users will never be completely happy with mods but there are definitely things our mods can do to improve the relationship.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

4) Make the reports better and more useful. Right now I believe about 99.99% of the MFP population doesn't even use it.
    5) They sticky threads from groups like "Eat, train, progress" on the main boards so people know where to start. Right now people have no idea where to start and what to do. There is a very good reason for all the "how much should I eat" or "should I eat back my calories" etc. There is too much confusion and vague information from MFP directly. Some stickies on the forums would help.

• ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options

Agree 100%
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I have been an avid internet forums users for many years and have been admin on many very popular sites (though not nearly as popular as MFP). MFP is currently the ONLY forums I have ever seen where the admins/mods don't participate and interact with its users. Frankly, as much as I love the work mods do on MFP, I believe that is a TERRIBLE thing to do. Admittedly there has been improvements since Olivia came but the ground reality is... that the mods of this site just don't understand its own sites culture. That is why there is such a high conflict between users and mods on this site. I understand that users will never be completely happy with mods but there are definitely things our mods can do to improve the relationship.

This. Taunto just saved me from getting carpal tunnel. :flowerforyou:

I wouldn't want mods that play favorites (unless I was their fav! :laugh:), but I wish the mods knew the members as well as they knew the rules.