If MFP Started Charging Fees

Options

Replies

• admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to caloriecount.com. (I hope naming that site doesn't get me in trouble) The only reason I left is because I don't have net at home (I live in a rural area and we have to get satellite and we've had problems with both of the providers that are available to us) and I can use this app on my phone. The other site doesn't have an app available for Window phones.

That being said, both have their good and bad points. Then again, I just might pay the fee because it's cheaper than other places and I would have access to it on the phone because it's easier for me to stay on target when I can enter as I go rather than wait till I get to work or something. But I wouldn't pay more than $10.00 a month.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yea I would. It's expensive to maintain a website, database, etc. I'd have no problem paying 10 dollars/month or so. I understand the cost.

However if they were to go to a pay model I'd expect better perks. Would be a good idea to possibly do free w/ basic access (like now) and if you want to gain further access to weight loss utilities/perks then a pay to scale method be used.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'd leave
  • cheesyrunner
    cheesyrunner Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No. :glasses:
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Nope I'd get contact info and jump ship!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    bunch of leaching LOLpoors in this thread...

I would probably pay a nominal fee.

Hhahaha! Right? :tongue:
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They would have to make alot of improvements
    1) syncs are quirky and only with partial info and
    2) food diary needs to add more micro nutrients and there needs to be some standardisation such as properly import the entire USDA nutrient database once and for all instead of have 100 versions of baby carrots
    3) Remove all the advertisements...

And alot more if i think about it...

At 10/per month i would leave... i wouldnt even pay that as a flat fee...
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    no
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    They would have to show me nifty new features for a couple bucks a month. If nothing improved, I'd just log food on fitbit and return to facebook for f'ing around all day.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sorry I wouldn't pay anything, sad enough I pay 7 a month for my bodymedia armband. But it helps motivate me more so that's why I pay for it.. But I would go back to spark people were its free. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They would need to upgrade in a big way before I'd pay.

The database is a mess, albeit awesome for a free one, the interface is clunky and has far too many steps for simple tasks, it is too glitchy to ask money for...

Having said that, if they upgraded it, made it up to its full potential and then started charging, depending on price, I'd subscribe.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not with the database the mess it is. For free, (knowing they make their money elsewhere) yes.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options

^^Or not. We're sorry we don't make $$$$$$$ like you must - I definitely would not start paying, my money needs to go into other necessary bills, such things like my electric bill and that's just the beginning of it. I can live without logging, I can't live without electric!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Taunto and others have already spoken to improvements that need to be made, so no need to rehash those. I'd consider paying for a premium level of service (stable app, more/better features, validated database, no ads, etc.), but I would leave if I had to pay for what it is right now (website outages, buggy/crash-prone Android app, etc.)
    Don't get me wrong, I love MFP, but it is what it is, and free (advertiser-paid) is what it's worth as-is.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Nice. (the insult, of sorts)

How about finding a site worth paying for, or asking this one to BE a site worth paying for, rather than just forking over money?
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    NoBath4Kitty.jpg
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    lol no..there are plenty of other calorie tracking sites and apps.

MFP should pay us!
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Here are the conditions for me paying:

1) They clean out the food database and add more foods from around the world. Like Asian cuisine etc.
    2) They hire people like Sara, taso, sidesteel as moderators or authors so people can find one stop peer-reviewed research backed information
    3) Make clearer forum guidelines
    4) Make the reports better and more useful. Right now I believe about 99.99% of the MFP population doesn't even use it.
    5) They sticky threads from groups like "Eat, train, progress" on the main boards so people know where to start. Right now people have no idea where to start and what to do. There is a very good reason for all the "how much should I eat" or "should I eat back my calories" etc. There is too much confusion and vague information from MFP directly. Some stickies on the forums would help.

I'm sure there are more but as of right now, they'd need at least these things before I consider giving them coins. This is an amazing site and I absolutely LOVE it though.

AGREED. Should be fixed anyway!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellz to the naw. ain't nobody got time fo dat!

You are the happiest looking woman I've ever seen in my life!

I agree