Does Fitbit way overestimate calories burned?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I looked it up...clocked 20,000 steps two days ago.

"Fitbit calorie adjustment - 314"

But clearly, I'm just lazy. :P Any normal person would be walking 60,000 steps a day, right?

Your Fitbit adjustment is the difference between your Fitbit burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level. If you want larger adjustments, reduce your activity level.

You can click on the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Wait, wait. It just dawned on me. @azulvioleta6 are you talking about 1000 calorie Fitbit Adjustments? (seeing as this is a thread about Fitbit Adjustments)

If that's the case, ya when I set my profile on MFP to sedentary, I'm almost guaranteed to get a 1000 calorie adjustment from Fitbit. That however isn't just exercise, but includes my daily activity as well. My exercise calorie burns are puny anymore :disappointed: . I'm set to lightly active right now and have a 422 calorie adjustment from Fitbit already.

Yeah, I think that's what's going on. She has been using "activity" and "exercise" interchangeably.

However, I have to do something like 30k steps to get anything close to a 1,000 adjustment. I don't have my MFP settings on sedentary, though, I think it's active or lightly active and begin the day with 1463 calories that I set myself with negative adjustment turned off. I weigh 186.

I'm at 45,600 steps with my short, squatty legs to get 1,000 cal just from activity. lol. And I AM on sedentary!

That don't make no sense.

How are you set to sedentary and doing 45k steps and only getting that small of an adjustment. Are you super fit and walking is really easy for you?

It makes complete sense. I don't weigh that much, and it's walking at a rate I can type and walking around the house, not powerwalking.

1.) I weigh just over 140lbs.
    2.) MFP/FitBit doesn't give me a positive adjustment until I hit ~3,135 steps per day. (I haven't figure this out quite exactly yet, but it appears to be above 3,000 and below 4,000.)
    3.) FitBit calculates 10,000 strides at 4 miles.
    4.) It takes 17.5 miles (43,750 steps) for a 140lb person to burn 1100 calories.
    5.) After my positive adjustment, that ends up being below 1000 cal.

This is why I'm looking into a weight vest! Just 40lbs more would burn more than 25% more.

It's surprising how different things can be between people.
    I'm right around 135 lbs and 5'4.5".
    With my MFP profile set to Lightly Active:
    • Yesterday: 10,582 steps/530 adjustment
    • Sunday: 17,868 steps/843 adjustment
    Now it could be that most of my steps were taken with deliberate exercise. I honestly don't know. I don't think I'd have to get to 40k+ steps to get an adjustment of 1000 calories though.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I sit on my butt all day, my BMR would be over 70% of my calories burned. If I work out a lot, it'll be 45% or less. Same person. Two days apart.

Um, that's pretty much exactly what I said (twice now). Now I know you're not picking up what I'm putting down. Let's just leave it at that :)