Movies - What do you eat?

Options
1235»

Replies

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'm not a snacker so I would eat a filling meal before the movie and go out for ice cream after. :)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I generally don't eat anything, because I go to the movies about 3-5 times per month. Sometimes I have a small bag of sweets or ice cream if I really fancy it, but that's probably less than a third of the times I go.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Just water.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    If you can try to break the habit of mindless snacking in front of the screen. It is a learned behaviour and a poor one. It wont serve you any good.

I know people don't agree with it, but this really is true. I am not saying *don't* get movie snacks if you want them. I just don't see why movies HAVE to be associated with snacks. It almost sounds like some people can't ever go to a theater without eating something. I go to a theater maybe once a year. If I feel like that happens to be at a time when eating should happen I'll get popcorn. Otherwise, no I don't eat. I would much rather eat a nice meal before or after than mindlessly snack on stuff.

See, for some people it's part of the ritual, and there is nothing wrong with having rituals involving food. It shouldn't be looked down upon as "poor behavior" because the purpose it serves is not really to mindlessly eat, but to mark an occasion as special. Some events are usually associated with food like holidays, birthdays, festivals, some kinds of parties, carnivals and fairs...etc. Some foods are strongly associated with some occasions marking them as special, and for some going to the movies is one of these special occasions, with food being a part of the experience.

It's interesting how some go with "it's a birthday/date/whatever, eat and enjoy your time" but draw the line at movie popcorn. I'm not singling anyone out, it's just this disconnect is a bit peculiar to me.

On a side note: not my place to judge what people eat, but I'm a bit surprised that many people mention nuts. They are even more calorie-rich than popcorn per volume. That wouldn't last me 5 minutes into the movie then the experience is over.

Truth.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Also I bring in a flask of alcohol. :drinker:
  • WheyistheWay
    WheyistheWay Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sneak in pork rinds. Those snack packs of Jack Link's are 240 calories with 39 grams of protein.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Nothing, lately. I love movie theater popcorn but it's so expensive and such a calorie hit. I could make it fit, but it isn't really worth it.
  • amberjo1986
    amberjo1986 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I only go to the movies once or twice a year, but if I eat popcorn I EAT THE WHOLE DAMN TUB. I am incapable of ordering a "normal" sized TUB because the frugal part of my brain says "what a rip off!" Dumb, I know. So I stick to pickles. They are ridiculously high in sodium but low in calories and satisfy my junk food craving.
  • lds818
    lds818 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We actually went yesterday..I popped a bag of 100 calorie popcorn and spray butter to share and cut up an apple and brought a vitamin water..kids had Jr. Mints
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I quit snacking at the movies and just drink water.

Once you're out of the habit, it's no big.
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ok, I won't blame you if you judge me on this: First, I simply am compelled to eat popcorn at the movies. Don't really even want to go if pc isn't part of the experience. Second, and here's the part where I wouldn't blame you if you judged me. I bring in a bag of Target pc. It's 350 calories, and I never have the urge to add butter. So, not so hideous.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My wife and I go weekly. We're both movie buffs and love films.

I usually get my own small popcorn, or I'll eat a box of "Snowcaps" with a diet pop.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If we go to dinner first I usually don't eat anything. But if I have not had anything to eat I usually get my favorite which is nachos with extra jalapenos. We don't do movies very often so I don't feel bad about splurging when we do go.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I'm taking my daughter tonight. I know she's going to want to get popcorn, and we have one of those tubs that's $4 to fill. I'll just make sure to reserve some calories and enjoy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I just don't eat. I drink water or diet soda.

This. It's not about the calories. There's no way I'm spending a week's worth of pay to eat at the movies.

I guess it's different everywhere. Here a large tub of popcorn is like 7 dollars. Hardly a week's worth of pay.

Going out to a movie with my BF if we buy tickets, popcorn, soda, and mike and ikes- it's like 25$ for the food, and then almost 40 for the tickets.
    It's absurd.

$40 for the tickets? That's a rip off... it may be time to do some cinema shopping.

2 people paying almost 20 bucks per tickets plus tax... so yeah.

We don't go to the movies often. We would rather go pay 100 bucks for steak dinner and call it a night.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat. I drink water or diet soda.

This. It's not about the calories. There's no way I'm spending a week's worth of pay to eat at the movies.

I guess it's different everywhere. Here a large tub of popcorn is like 7 dollars. Hardly a week's worth of pay.

Going out to a movie with my BF if we buy tickets, popcorn, soda, and mike and ikes- it's like 25$ for the food, and then almost 40 for the tickets.
    It's absurd.

$40 for the tickets? That's a rip off... it may be time to do some cinema shopping.

2 people paying almost 20 bucks per tickets plus tax... so yeah.

We don't go to the movies often. We would rather go pay 100 bucks for steak dinner and call it a night.

Interesting. A movie night for me is a maximum of $20 per person tickets, snacks and taxes included.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I take the kids to a Dollar store and get their chosen snacks, then splurge on a super butter popcorn.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Small popcorn with small Coke Zero
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    This thread is a good reference to see how movie ticket prices vary from location, to location. I know our tickets are 7.00 on weekdays, weekends are 8.50, and "Discount Tuesday" is 6.00
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I have moviepass so that takes care of at least the movie price for me. I also go to regal on Tuesday where members get $2 popcorn. Had that on Tuesday. Monday had a nice dinner before hand.