Organic...

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ScreeField wrote: »
    here's the actual law about Organic livestock care standards--worth reading just in case you've never read it before:

What in particular makes it worth reading?

Well, that last item would make the farmer I thought was stupid for withholding antibiotics to the point of death in violation of the law.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    here's the actual law about Organic livestock care standards--worth reading just in case you've never read it before:

Well, that last item would make the farmer I thought was stupid for withholding antibiotics to the point of death in violation of the law.
    So as long as the farmer could justify a reasonable (and highly subjective) belief that the animal could recover, how would he have violated the law?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

So as long as the farmer could justify a reasonable (and highly subjective) belief that the animal could recover, how would he have violated the law?

That was not scenario described.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How not, @Need2Exerc1se ? The farmer was following direction from his veterinarian throughout. He tried natural remedies first and foremost. Overnight and within hours, he had more fatalities. The natural approach (hygiene, isolation, and changing bedding) finally worked but not fast enough to save a half-dozen calves.
  • senecarr
    Options

100% eristic response rate.
    The scenario is the person has a sick cow, he's plowed a lot of expensive organic feed into it, and now it gets sick. Is the law really going to prevent him from contemplating leaving it untreated?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How not, @Need2Exerc1se ? The farmer was following direction from his veterinarian throughout. He tried natural remedies first and foremost. Overnight and within hours, he had more fatalities. The natural approach (hygiene, isolation, and changing bedding) finally worked but not fast enough to save a half-dozen calves.

So you were not puttting that forth as an example of a farmer specifically witholding antibiotics to preserve organic status. I re-read it and it still sounds like that to me. What was your point, if not that?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The scenario is the person has a sick cow, he's plowed a lot of expensive organic feed into it, and now it gets sick. Is the law really going to prevent him from contemplating leaving it untreated?

As I've said before, I would think common business sense would. But if we are going to assume laws are ignored, then why talk of changing laws?
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I have health issues that force me to eat organic. Yes, it is expensive but I've seen major improvements in my health and I won't put a price on that. I can only speak about my choices, my health and my improvements.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Flag wasn't from me. If I have a beef (haha), I have no problem letting you know . ;)

ETA: and it is hard even for me to believe, but I have read from the beginning, and your last several comments are a pejorative disbelief that the thread is still going.

yes the disbelief is quite strong

many studies and facts have been presented quite early in the thread (some by myself, many by others) and yet the thread continues to spin its wheels in a back-and-forth "nuh-uh! uh-huh!" fashion

Does not!

:tongue:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I have health issues that force me to eat organic. Yes, it is expensive but I've seen major improvements in my health and I won't put a price on that. I can only speak about my choices, my health and my improvements.

I don't have a medical condition, and I don't feel differently when I eat conventionally grown produce and meat vs. organic (and I do eat some of both, mainly organic berries that end up on sale, but some beef as well).

I do feel better when I eat a diet that contains many servings of raw and cooked vegetables and fruit daily.
  • senecarr
    Options

As I've said before, I would think common business sense would. But if we are going to assume laws are ignored, then why talk of changing laws?
    I don't assume perfect enforcement in my argument. That's actually worse for you - currently there are probably organic beef that end up eating antibiotics. I do assume that if you let people use antibiotics for prescribed purposes, people will be more prompt in having their animals screened and treated by a vet instead of contemplating the possibility of losing the organic premium.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited June 2015
    Options

I don't assume perfect enforcement in my argument. That's actually worse for you - currently there are probably organic beef that end up eating antibiotics. I do assume that if you let people use antibiotics for prescribed purposes, people will be more prompt in having their animals screened and treated by a vet instead of contemplating the possibility of losing the organic premium.

Sounds logical. Still has little to do with the OP's question, given current laws.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    GlassslippersAndFairyDust Posts: 518 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't have a medical condition, and I don't feel differently when I eat conventionally grown produce and meat vs. organic (and I do eat some of both, mainly organic berries that end up on sale, but some beef as well).

I do feel better when I eat a diet that contains many servings of raw and cooked vegetables and fruit daily. [/quote]

I long for the days when I could eat whatever, but those days are long gone and never to be again. I spend a vast amount of my time reading labels. For example, say I want to buy a pasta sauce instead of making it; I have to label read to make sure there are only organic ingredients, no chemicals, preservatives, msgs, gums, stablizers....etc. It bites big time but necessary since I have an autoimmune disease. I can tell within minutes if not seconds when a food has something in it that my body rejects as bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

So you were not puttting that forth as an example of a farmer specifically witholding antibiotics to preserve organic status. I re-read it and it still sounds like that to me. What was your point, if not that?

HE DID withhold antibiotics. He followed the natural approach first, which resulted in deaths. It wasn't abusive, it wasn't stupid. The farmer was motivated by preserving his organic/antibiotic-free status.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

HE DID withhold antibiotics. He followed the natural approach first, which resulted in deaths. It wasn't abusive, it wasn't stupid. The farmer was motivated by preserving his organic/antibiotic-free status.

Which is exactly what the law says not to do according to the post on page 9.
  • pokeas
    pokeas Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Eating "organic" is just as good as eating regular vegetables and fruits. Both contain dangerous pesticides, but the regular market is more controlled and the pesticides are more scientifically evolved not to be dangerous. Not to mention that "organic" food tend to cost 3x as much.
    There are good and bad examples on both sides. Wash them troughly and if they tase chemicals dont eat them.
    BTW organic is such a stupid term, as if the regular greens where non-organic. :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    pokeas wrote: »
    Eating "organic" is just as good as eating regular vegetables and fruits. Both contain dangerous pesticides, but the regular market is more controlled and the pesticides are more scientifically evolved not to be dangerous. Not to mention that "organic" food tend to cost 3x as much.
    There are good and bad examples on both sides. Wash them troughly and if they tase chemicals dont eat them.
    BTW organic is such a stupid term, as if the regular greens where non-organic. :D

I don't understand most of this. What dangerous chemicals do organic or non-organic produce contain? What makes the non-organic market more controlled? I would think the opposite.

Also, washing any produce is good, but since pesticides are applied thorughout the growth cycle then washed in to the soil when it rains to be distributed thoughout the plant by the root system, it doesn't remove all rediue.
  • senecarr
    Options

I don't understand most of this. What dangerous chemicals do organic or non-organic produce contain? What makes the non-organic market more controlled? I would think the opposite.

Also, washing any produce is good, but since pesticides are applied thorughout the growth cycle then washed in to the soil when it rains to be distributed thoughout the plant by the root system, it doesn't remove all rediue.

Copper sulfate is an acceptable pesticide used in organics. Until recently, rotenone was an acceptable organic pesticide, as was nicotine. Both breakdown less and can kill something at lesser does than a number of synthetic pesticides, like glyphosate.
  • senecarr
    Options

The difference is that organic's rules say that you can use any natural substance. There are no requirements that a substance be tested - it is assumed that it is safe.
    Any synthetic chemical that is going to be sprayed on food has to go through testing to show it is safe in mammals, and what is the lowest amount of it that can cause any kind of side effect what-so-ever. Then the USDA sets standards about how often it can be used to guarantee it stays well below that threshold even with multiple applications and assuming people eat huge numbers of servings - think 20 apples in a day.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options