Organic...

Options

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It is inevitable that the Tin Foil Hat brigade always comes.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    And you have to first consider where the funding is coming from for the studies you are citing. Who is your source? I most often purchase my produce from farmers markets in my community and though I may pay more, I know what is going into my body and what isn't. That's important to me. If you want "governmental and scientific studies and documentation" making up your mind for you, then that's your prerogative.

Show me the money!

I see you've entered conspiracy theory land now. Good luck with that.
  • Orphia
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't wear yourself out attacking that straw man.

The pro-organic side need lots of help combatting the evidence that organic is not significantly better for you than non-organic food.

"significantly better" by whose standards?

By objective standards. Try them, they're good.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    And you have to first consider where the funding is coming from for the studies you are citing. Who is your source? I most often purchase my produce from farmers markets in my community and though I may pay more, I know what is going into my body and what isn't. That's important to me. If you want "governmental and scientific studies and documentation" making up your mind for you, then that's your prerogative.

Show me the money!

No, I just prefer to grow my own food when I can and not trust big Pharma to cure all the chronic incurable conditions I had as a child that I've been able cure myself through diet alone. But since you've got all the "facts", I should probably follow you.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Show me the money!

The money's in organic. LOL.
  • Orphia
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Show me the money!

No, I just prefer to grow my own food when I can and not trust big Pharma to cure all the chronic incurable conditions I had as a child that I've been able cure myself through diet alone. But since you've got all the "facts", I should probably follow you.

You just contradicted yourself and proved my point for me. Thanks. :)

• Allyoopadoop
    Allyoopadoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To me, organic foods TASTE better. I had almost forgotten what oranges, peaches, raspberried, nectarines (etc.) REALLY tasted like until I ate organic ones a few years back. Also what I had forgotten about were FRUIT FLIES. When I bought non-organic foods for all the years I raised my kids (before organic came to the forefront) we didn't have fruit flies like I did when I was a kid.

Additionally, the taste of grass-fed meat is really different and takes me back to when I was a kid. I try to buy organic, as much as possible. I once saw a list that suggested buying organic for those foods you do not peel to eat. That is pretty much what I stick to... :smiley:
  • 3AAnn3
    Options
    Curious how I contradicted myself. Also curious what point I proved of yours? That I'm a conspiracy theorist? You can label me as whatever you want. Thanks. :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    No wait, I want to change my answer to be more MFP appropriate. "Organics are awful. You should eat as much Doritos, Little Debbie Snack Cakes and Pepsi as will possibly fit in your daily allowances. CICO dudes."

@3aann3 that's a gross oversimplification of IIFYM (often used interchangeably with CICO) here...you are making a pure straw man argument.

IIFYM focuses first on meeting your calorie goal, then your macro goals, then your micro goals, in whatever combination of foods you wish to use to reach those goals.

CICO is simply the concept that your weight loss or gain is 100% dependent on the number of calories you consume versus the number of calories you burn, regardless of the actual source of those calories (this excludes certain medical conditions, of course).

the arguments in this thread both for and against organic produce (if you even bothered to go through and read them) are numerous, and many citations to scientific and governmental studies and documentation were provided. in particular, @Need2Exerc1se and @senecarr had quite a lengthy discussion on a number of the relevant topics.

your post which I quoted insults the intelligence and diligence of every member of this forum who has obviously put far more time and effort into learning about both sides of the various issues of health and nutrition than you have. unlike you, many of us try to be objective and open-minded enough to listen to rational arguments presented by both sides.

I hardly think everyone posting on the site has "put [much] time and effort learning about both sides of the various issues of health and nutrition". That's a joke! Some people who post responses know next to nothing about nutrition, many come in with their own personal experiences to share and many already have their mind 100% made up on their position and spend all their time and energy to try and support it.

Show me the money!

lol wow, you completely dismiss my entire rational and thorough argument by challenging the idea that there are those of us who do research and have educated ourselves.

and yet you say "many already have their mind 100% made up on their position and spend all their time and energy to try and support it" when that is exactly what you are doing yourself.

and to your "show me the money" call, you do realize that the organic industry is a multi-billion dollar for-profit industry, just as much as "big ag" is, right? I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this.
  • 3AAnn3
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lol wow, you completely dismiss my entire rational and thorough argument by challenging the idea that there are those of us who do research and have educated ourselves.

and yet you say "many already have their mind 100% made up on their position and spend all their time and energy to try and support it" when that is exactly what you are doing yourself.

and to your "show me the money" call, you do realize that the organic industry is a multi-billion dollar for-profit industry, just as much as "big ag" is, right? I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this.[/quote]

No, I do not dismiss your rational. I found very interesting the list of "acceptable pesticides." I did look through the list and will refer back to it. And no, I did not know that any synthetic pesticides were allowed by those bearing the "organic label." Thanks to you, I will learn more about which ones are used by the companies we purchase some of our more processed foods from.
    I know there are some who try to do "unbiased" research, but really, that's just an oxymoron. We are all biased. I certainly am.
    Yes, organic is now a multi-billion dollar industry and I do not support companies that have been bought out by mega-corporations because as I understand it, when that occurs, "organic" doesn't mean much. I'm involved in a local co-op and most everything we buy is owned by small farming families, some of which I know. Organic used to mean something, but now a days you can buy "organic" food that is pretty much the same thing as "conventional". I won't argue that. But just because some of the mega-corporations have destroyed the organic name doesn't mean there still aren't small farming communities out there doing a lot of good and raising far superior produce/dairy/product.

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    No wait, I want to change my answer to be more MFP appropriate. "Organics are awful. You should eat as much Doritos, Little Debbie Snack Cakes and Pepsi as will possibly fit in your daily allowances. CICO dudes."

@3aann3 that's a gross oversimplification of IIFYM (often used interchangeably with CICO) here...you are making a pure straw man argument.

IIFYM focuses first on meeting your calorie goal, then your macro goals, then your micro goals, in whatever combination of foods you wish to use to reach those goals.

CICO is simply the concept that your weight loss or gain is 100% dependent on the number of calories you consume versus the number of calories you burn, regardless of the actual source of those calories (this excludes certain medical conditions, of course).

the arguments in this thread both for and against organic produce (if you even bothered to go through and read them) are numerous, and many citations to scientific and governmental studies and documentation were provided. in particular, @Need2Exerc1se and @senecarr had quite a lengthy discussion on a number of the relevant topics.

your post which I quoted insults the intelligence and diligence of every member of this forum who has obviously put far more time and effort into learning about both sides of the various issues of health and nutrition than you have. unlike you, many of us try to be objective and open-minded enough to listen to rational arguments presented by both sides.

I hardly think everyone posting on the site has "put [much] time and effort learning about both sides of the various issues of health and nutrition". That's a joke! Some people who post responses know next to nothing about nutrition, many come in with their own personal experiences to share and many already have their mind 100% made up on their position and spend all their time and energy to try and support it.

Show me the money!

and to your "show me the money" call, you do realize that the organic industry is a multi-billion dollar for-profit industry, just as much as "big ag" is, right? I don't know how many times I have to keep saying this.

No, I do not dismiss your rational. I found very interesting the list of "acceptable pesticides." I did look through the list and will refer back to it. And no, I did not know that any synthetic pesticides were allowed by those bearing the "organic label." Thanks to you, I will learn more about which ones are used by the companies we purchase some of our more processed foods from.
    I know there are some who try to do "unbiased" research, but really, that's just an oxymoron. We are all biased. I certainly am.
    Yes, organic is now a multi-billion dollar industry and I do not support companies that have been bought out by mega-corporations because as I understand it, when that occurs, "organic" doesn't mean much. I'm involved in a local co-op and most everything we buy is owned by small farming families, some of which I know. Organic used to mean something, but now a days you can buy "organic" food that is pretty much the same thing as "conventional". I won't argue that. But just because some of the mega-corporations have destroyed the organic name doesn't mean there still aren't small farming communities out there doing a lot of good and raising far superior produce/dairy/product.

this post is a lot more reasonable than the somewhat insulting ones you threw out before

it sounds like you support local growers and co-ops now because you feel that the organic industry and corporate agricultural industry are just fighting the same battle with each other, all for money

and now organic is a completely different corporate beast, and as you said has nothing to do with the local producers you work with and support

there are some other people in this thread who posted in support of local produce, myself included

it is not going to end world hunger or anything like that, but it still a great way to get close to the earth and to your community and work towards self-sustainability at the community level
  • Orphia
    Options

Show me the money!

this post is a lot more reasonable than the somewhat insulting ones you threw out before

it sounds like you support local growers and co-ops now because you feel that the organic industry and corporate agricultural industry are just fighting the same battle with each other, all for money

and now organic is a completely different corporate beast, and as you said has nothing to do with the local producers you work with and support

there are some other people in this thread who posted in support of local produce, myself included

it is not going to end world hunger or anything like that, but it still a great way to get close to the earth and to your community and work towards self-sustainability at the community level

Agreed.

3AAnn3 seems to have been talking about "home-grown" food rather than "organic" food.

I get great pleasure out of my little veggie garden. I haven't even used any pesticides on it for the last two seasons.

Or does snail bait count as pesticide?

"Pesticides" seems to be another buzzword. If it's "organic pesticides" it's "good", allegedly, while just "pesticides" are bad.

It would be nice if we were all on the same page.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Show me the money!
    Absolutely, unequivocally, undeniably WRONG. I hate that lazy, illogical way of thinking. By that reasoning, if someone paid me $100 to say the sky is blue, I'm wrong when I say the sky is blue, but is someone paid me $100 to say the sky is blue, but I come out saying the sky is red, I'm suddenly right? NOOOOOO. That boils down the essence of demanding people look at funding sources. The worst thing is I get this kind of reasoning from people, or worse, claims I'm a shill (as if that proves anything, even if it were true), and then they tell me about their organic farm. That's the kind of reasoning of someone acting with an us versus them morality - a deep unabiding belief that their s****t don't stink so much that they don't even see the hypocrisy in working for organics, but trying to dismiss arguments and reasoning coming from someone based on funding.

What's more, I even know why people want to make this kind of argument. It is intellectually lazy, or more kindly and more properly, it is intellectually conservative of energy. People evolved higher level intelligence in the largest part to do one simple thing: figure out what other human beings are thinking. Our brains are incredibly adept at this, so much so that we over assign human reasoning and motives to natural forces that we've had to overcome superstitions about them. So saying follow the money is trying to rely on this powerful factor, and expecting to find truth - yes it is easy, but you're using the same primitive forces that drive thinking rain dances work, if you can just figure out what makes the rain spirits happy.
  • senecarr
    Options

Show me the money!

Agreed.

3AAnn3 seems to have been talking about "home-grown" food rather than "organic" food.

I get great pleasure out of my little veggie garden. I haven't even used any pesticides on it for the last two seasons.

"Pesticides" seems to be another buzzword. If it's "organic pesticides" it's "good", allegedly, while just "pesticides" are bad.

The technical answer is, you can't get away from pesticides, the plants themselves all have some kind of pesticide in them. It is easy to think of plants as perfectly passive things waiting on humans. They're not just waiting around to be eaten.
    We just never bother to test regular plants, the assumption being that conventional breeding methods won't produce a pesticide in the plant that hurts people. There was actually a case of that happening though - a breed of celery was breed so resistant to insects, it could create light activated chemical burns on the pickers hands.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Although while this is all very entertaining. I put a lot of weight in food-related opinions from well-known scientists whose research in this area embodies a lifetime of work. 1. Weston Price was a bit of a pioneer on this topic, even if "organic" wasn't defined at the time. Although he wrote his book in the early 1900's, it's still a fascinating read on differences between large-scale food production and more local and, at the time of his writing, undefined "organic" methods. 2. Michael Pollan is a contemporary voice in this area and because of the polarization of the topic, it's easy to find 3. criticism of Pollan's work--also worth reading, and 4. chefs known for using lots of vegetables. So, basically: growers, dedicated researchers and consumers of the product (or produce I should say).

Who's opinion receives less weight? People who have never gardened and don't even eat vegetables. Those whom wouldn't know how to prepare kholrabi without "googling" it first.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Show me the money!

Agreed.

The technical answer is, you can't get away from pesticides, the plants themselves all have some kind of pesticide in them. It is easy to think of plants as perfectly passive things waiting on humans. They're not just waiting around to be eaten.
    We just never bother to test regular plants, the assumption being that conventional breeding methods won't produce a pesticide in the plant that hurts people. There was actually a case of that happening though - a breed of celery was breed so resistant to insects, it could create light activated chemical burns on the pickers hands.

I think it is generally understood as added pesticides and not autologous chemistry - plus many plant defense systems are seen are yummy - most spices fall into this bill. The 'not so rare' plant chemistry that is harmful to humans is significant and shouldn't be pushed aside but there is a perceived and possibly different risk from, say, pinto beans grown in my back yard and DDT treated beans...

You shouldn't eat either raw - but the additional risk is clear with DDT. And the historical issue with organochlorines is still there.

And some regular plants are tested - we know very well how digitalis works - it is really just a plant defense system (and hijacked by some insects - never eat an Monarch butterfly!)

• ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    plus many plant defense systems are seen are yummy - most spices fall into this bill.

Habanero pizza is my favorite pesticide >:) Delicious!

• Orphia
    Options
    I can't let this thread die without this having been posted.

(Should have been on the first page.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlqk8oV1FVI
  • senecarr
    Options

Ok, I feel like a judgemental a-hole. Looking at her before the video started, I assumed she was going to be spouting really bad organic woo, instead of semi-comical take downs of it.

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Ok, I feel like a judgemental a-hole. Looking at her before the video started, I assumed she was going to be spouting really bad organic woo, instead of semi-comical take downs of it.

lul guess this means I gotta watch it nao