Is there any merit to this...

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think that a person would be eating celery all day is that they have a habit of eating all the time and rather than ending the habit, they choose a food that doesn't have a lot of calories. That works for a while, but in the end, it isn't ideal because the celery is replaced by candy bars and they are back where they started. As for someone eating fat all day, as long as they do so in moderation, there's no reason why they can't lose weight on that kind of diet. Is it healthy? Probably not, since it is missing some of the nutrients the body needs.

i guess you missed the post where OP said celery is just a snack….
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Worry about you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    kleighjen wrote: »
    I've been working out and eating healthy and watching my calories and have lost almost 10 lbs to over the last two weeks. There is a lady in my office who claims she is on a "high fat, low carb" diet. So, basically I sit at my desk eating celery and she eats sausage, hunks of cheese, and pork rinds all day. Is there any merit to this type of diet? It just doesn't seem healthy at all.

Health and weight loss are very different things ;)

This is true! And a low carb, high fat diet can be healthy, or unhealthy from a nutrition standpoint.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm just throwing in on the side of celery, IT'S YUMMY!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm just throwing in on the side of celery, IT'S YUMMY!

And fabulous for those on a low carb high fat diet too lol. :drinker:
  • JamesSmedleyCP30
    JamesSmedleyCP30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been working out and eating healthy and watching my calories and have lost almost 10 lbs to over the last two weeks. There is a lady in my office who claims she is on a "high fat, low carb" diet. So, basically I sit at my desk eating celery and she eats sausage, hunks of cheese, and pork rinds all day. Is there any merit to this type of diet? It just doesn't seem healthy at all.

What your doing sounds fine, but her diet is simply cutting out easy energy for the body that can be consumed, meaning your body must burn more calories to digest the food, giving a slight boost to a diet. It's not the healthiest of diets as people should learn to balance out a proper diet, allowing there bodies to get vitamins etc. Keep doing what your doing, it will benefit your body and reduce risk of colonary heart disease etc.
  • GeekdGirl
    GeekdGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Any diet will work as long as you're eating less calories than you burn. Losing weight is all about calories in calories out, not how healthy the food is.

QFT
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One can lose weight on the unhealthiest of diets.

It's about net calories, not nutrition/health.

They are independent/orthogonal concerns.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Any diet will work as long as you're eating less calories than you burn. Losing weight is all about calories in calories out, not how healthy the food is.

Why is this flagged?!?!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

^^ all this. (And why is this flagged???)

It comes down to finding a diet that works best for ourselves. For some people it's the flexible dieting, for some its low carb/ high protein.
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a keto diet and honestly it's not needed unless you need it for medical reasons. Carbs are part of a well balanced diet. The whole keto, paleo, clean eating diets are nothing more than nonsensical fads.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

It is food. Some of it is more nutritious than others. Mostly it is preference. You and I may prefer to get our calories from different foods.
    If your co-worker eats less calories than she burns she can lose weight. Will she get enough nutrients from her diet? Will she feel good and energetic eating that way? I don't know. If she only eats sausage, cheese and pork rinds then probably not very healthy long term. If she eats other foods including vegetables and fruits and watches her calories then it is probably part of a perfectly healthy diet.

• Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight eating junk food and foods high in fat, so long as there is a calorie deficit. As far as whether it is healthy or not is another story.