Matt Lauer proving why no-sugar does't work

Options
mccindy72
mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
The Today Show did a whole bit on the 'No Sugar Challenge'. 10 days eating foods with NO added sugar. The theory being that if you can give it up for 10 days, you can give it up for life. Hm, no. Here's the problem: Joy had several 'replacement foods' she had invented to take the place of each person's favorite sugary treat. Matt Lauer was the honest person of the bunch and said flat out that these replacements didn't taste good!
If the replacements don't taste good, you won't eat them. You'll still want the old foods you 'gave up'. When you can't stand not eating them, and cave in, you'll binge.
If you learn to eat in moderation, and just have a small portion of those foods that have added sugar in them, you won't be eating sugar in excess anymore. The answer isn't to 'give up sugar'. Sugar is found naturally in many foods we eat every day. Do some research and learn how your body uses this simple carbohydrate and count it in your daily intake. Get your daily intake under control. Meet your needs for other foods, THEN have your small portion of treats. You can still have the ice cream, the cookie, the piece of cake. A serving of it. Not a binge sitting.
By learning about foods instead of fearing and avoiding them, you will help yourself become much more successful in the long run.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The Today Show did a whole bit on the 'No Sugar Challenge'. 10 days eating foods with NO added sugar. The theory being that if you can give it up for 10 days, you can give it up for life. Hm, no. Here's the problem: Joy had several 'replacement foods' she had invented to take the place of each person's favorite sugary treat. Matt Lauer was the honest person of the bunch and said flat out that these replacements didn't taste good!
    If the replacements don't taste good, you won't eat them. You'll still want the old foods you 'gave up'. When you can't stand not eating them, and cave in, you'll binge.
    If you learn to eat in moderation, and just have a small portion of those foods that have added sugar in them, you won't be eating sugar in excess anymore. The answer isn't to 'give up sugar'. Sugar is found naturally in many foods we eat every day. Do some research and learn how your body uses this simple carbohydrate and count it in your daily intake. Get your daily intake under control. Meet your needs for other foods, THEN have your small portion of treats. You can still have the ice cream, the cookie, the piece of cake. A serving of it. Not a binge sitting.
    By learning about foods instead of fearing and avoiding them, you will help yourself become much more successful in the long run.

I was watching the Today show this morning (a rare deviation from Daniel Tiger/Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Sesame Street) and saw this. It made me chuckle a few times just due to the sheer ridiculousness of demonizing sugar and blaming it for all of this country's problems. But I honestly am disappointed in Joy Bauer for jumping on this train. She has always seemed a lot more sensible than someone like Dr. Oz.

I don't watch the Today show often anymore just because they've gotten so commercial and are always stirring the pot rather than actually reporting facts. However, one thing I've always liked about Matt Lauer is his ability to detect BS and speak his mind.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I was watching the Today show this morning (a rare deviation from Daniel Tiger/Mickey Mouse Clubhouse/Sesame Street) and saw this. It made me chuckle a few times just due to the sheer ridiculousness of demonizing sugar and blaming it for all of this country's problems. But I honestly am disappointed in Joy Bauer for jumping on this train. She has always seemed a lot more sensible than someone like Dr. Oz.

I don't watch the Today show often anymore just because they've gotten so commercial and are always stirring the pot rather than actually reporting facts. However, one thing I've always liked about Matt Lauer is his ability to detect BS and speak his mind.

Still loving Matt Lauer. When I do watch the show (not as often now) he's the only rational person left.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    It is doable. Lots of people do it every day. It is no different than giving up alcohol or any other habitual consumption.
    My preferred snack is nuts. No added sugar in them.
    But I still can't go shopping hungry. That can be bad for the cart contents :)
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree. When I realized I could measure out a half cup of ice cream, enjoy it, AND have it fit within my calories was the day I was a happy girl. I used to get annoyed when my husband bought a tub of ice cream. I wouldn't eat any of it because it was "bad". But my "low-calorie" chocolate crackers that I ate to substitute that dessert were 110 calories for 4 and WAY less satisfying than a half cup of ice cream at 150 calories. It's stuff like that show that make people fear certain foods when really there is nothing wrong with them in small amounts.

Now I cringe when friends of mine say they are trying to eat "clean", or "healthy", or they're doing a detox, shake program, avoiding sugar, avoiding sodium, etc etc. If we just eat to live, eat what tastes good, throw in some nutritious foods and don't over-indulge we will be just fine (IMO). No need to put labels on anything!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's episode should be interesting. They'll be investigating whether calorie counting and apps like MFP work. >:)

In all honesty, I've been tempted to throw my coffee at the TV lately because of the "diet investigation week" they're currently doing. It's all CICO, nothing else and nothing more. Don't go complicate something that's already so simple.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Tomorrow's episode should be interesting. They'll be investigating whether calorie counting and apps like MFP work. >:)

In all honesty, I've been tempted to throw my coffee at the TV lately because of the "diet investigation week" they're currently doing. It's all CICO, nothing else and nothing more. Don't go complicate something that's already so simple.

If you cover it in a clear tarpaulin, you should be good to go.

• mccindy72
    Options

it is interesting, when they complicate such a simple process. I've noticed with this summer of constant diet advice they really are over doing it on 'this food vs. that food' and 'will this work for you'? I hold out hope that MAYBE they'll say something positive about calorie counting.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options

I don't know if it was the same morning show... but did you see the one where they had a dietician on comparing foods nutrient values.
    She had a quest bar and then a R. peanut butter cup with something else (cant remember what it was). but the point was they had the same nutrient values. Of course everybody picked the Quest bar as the healthy choice when actually they were the same.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

I don't know if it was the same morning show... but did you see the one where they had a dietician on comparing foods nutrient values.
    She had a quest bar and then a R. peanut butter cup with something else (cant remember what it was). but the point was they had the same nutrient values. Of course everybody picked the Quest bar as the healthy choice when actually they were the same.

I can't imagine a peanut butter cup giving me 18 grams of fiber.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I can't imagine a peanut butter cup giving me 18 grams of fiber.

Or much protein.

Does "healthy" in this example mean calorie content? If so, I don't think the show is doing a good job.

Now, I'm not sure how healthy a Quest bar is either--it depends on context. Sometimes it's a good choice vs. what else is available, sometimes it might not be, IMO.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Sugar haters aren't going to change their minds and I hope they don't. More ice cream for me!!
  • mccindy72
    Options

Perhaps calories and sugar? But overall the two are not the same.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A normal peanut butter cup would have a decent amount of sugar, and a Quest bar has very little.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Well, that does sound like proof that it wouldn't work for anyone. Score one for Today Show science.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    All that Matt Lauer proved is that it doesn't work for him...
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Oh wow, seriously? I'll need to make a note to watch online.

• mccindy72
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »

So you do well with 'avocado ice cream', do you?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You can still have the ice cream, the cookie, the piece of cake. A serving of it. Not a binge sitting.

The problem is many people lack the self-control to do that, especially initially. As the saying goes:

9acbc4e7f8a4233ba15f6d506df37f2c.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Vomit-Vomit-Everywhere-Toy-Story-Meme-e1366540988489.jpg
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Thankfully, there are more options than "eat tiny bits of things you love" and "eat avocado ice cream" (whatever the heck that is).