Matt Lauer proving why no-sugar does't work

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The issues is refined sugars and sugars that are present in processed foods. Naturally occurring sugars are fine in moderation.

Nope. All sugar is fine in moderation. All sugars are the same, digested into glucose by the body.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    That's true. A zero carb diet, or as close as humanly possible to get, will not inlude veggies, fruits or nuts. It's basically the flip side of vegan.

I actually wouldn't compare it to vegans because vegans still eat protein. Maybe true fruititarians? If there are any?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't watch Today Show, so I've no idea what this is about. But they attempted to eliminate added sugars by including a whole bunch of packaged, processed stuff?? For real? What's wrong with a piece of fruit?

Confused.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The issues is refined sugars and sugars that are present in processed foods. Naturally occurring sugars are fine in moderation.

Refined sugar IS occuring naturally, or do you think it's made from other stuff?
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-009009000000000000000.html?maxCount=74

Seriously, that's like saying spicing your food with salt is bad, but putting sea water in your food is good.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I don't watch Today Show, so I've no idea what this is about. But they attempted to eliminate added sugars by including a whole bunch of packaged, processed stuff?? For real? What's wrong with a piece of fruit?

Confused.

No, they attempted to replace everyone's favorite food with some fake replacement - regular ice cream with 'ice cream' made from blended avocados. And other foolishness.
  • misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Maybe my use of terms is off.

I was meaning natural sugars that are in fruits and unprocessed foods as apposed to added sugars and sweeteners that you find in health foods or pre-packet foods.

Refined sugar IS occuring naturally, or do you think it's made from other stuff?

Seriously, that's like saying spicing your food with salt is bad, but putting sea water in your food is good.

• stevencloser
    Options

I was meaning natural sugars that are in fruits and unprocessed foods as apposed to added sugars and sweeteners that you find in health foods or pre-packet foods.

The sugar is still the same. The other stuff is nice in fruit, but the sugar is just sugar, no need to sugarcoat it (heh).
  • mccindy72
    Options

Added sugar is just sugar that is made from sugar cane or sugar beets, etc. It all comes from plants.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sea salt is a lot different chemically than table salt.

A lot different.

(Not disagreeing with your larger point, though :drinker: )
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    All that Matt Lauer proved is that it doesn't work for him...

So you do well with 'avocado ice cream', do you?

Vomit-Vomit-Everywhere-Toy-Story-Meme-e1366540988489.jpg

It is actually good,when mixed with cacao,I didn't watch the show so I don't know how that one is made...
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Sea salt is a lot different chemically than table salt.

A lot different.

(Not disagreeing with your larger point, though :drinker: )

"The typical composition of seawater by dry weight percent includes: 55.5% chloride; 30.8% sodium; 7.7% sulfate; 3.7% magnesium; 1.2% calcium; 1.1% potassium. "

Eh, close enough.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You do not need carbs. At all. Zero. Now, I do eat carbs, but not because I would die if I didn't. I happen to like nuts and dairy too much to never eat carbs.

But if you wanted to it is very simple. Just east only foods with fat or protein. It's really not complicated.

You're right. Carb intake through diet is not necessary for human survival. IIRC there is even a statement to that effect in the RDA handbook. I think all that is necessary from diet is some protein and a number of essential fatty acids.

That said whether it is optimal or even practically feasible or not to eliminate carbs is another conversation entirely.

On the point about abstinence v moderation as an approach one of the key elements is how it makes a person feel to adopt the given approach and how severe the resulting mental state of deprivation turns out to be. Over the long term deprivation trumps willpower hands down so setting up a method of eating where the need for willpower is reduced to the lowest level possible is preferable to my mind.

I think for most people moderation will be a better fit but for a smaller number of people abstinence is the way forward bearing in mind the above. No one needs to learn moderation if their preferences lie elsewhere.

Whilst it is likely eliminating things from diet can heighten feelings of deprivation which leads to bad outcomes (to include bingeing) that is not a foregone conclusion. In addition there are literally billions of people in the world who purposefully abstain from things without falling to a heap on the floor crying - vegetarians, vegans, religious people.

Let's say today I had a deep, life affirming desire to become Hindu. That would mean giving up beef products. I love steak and burgers. Would I start bingeing as a result of knowing I couldn't eat these things for foreseeable future? My guess is probably not. Why? Because the higher sense of purpose outrides the deprivation I may feel. I think some people who purposefully abstain on a different basis can tap into such feelings of higher purpose leading to being successful.

Find a way of eating that makes you happy and you enjoy. Everyone else can take a hike.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    All that Matt Lauer proved is that it doesn't work for him...

So you do well with 'avocado ice cream', do you?

Thankfully, there are more options than "eat tiny bits of things you love" and "eat avocado ice cream" (whatever the heck that is).

Well, you're obviously missing the point of the initial post, which was about a specific episode of the Today Show, and replacement food for regular food.

If the point was something other than replacements foods will make you miss the original food and binge on them, then I suppose I did.

People won't like the 'replacement food' because it doesn't taste good. They will miss the food they are trying to replace. They won't eat the replacement food, and will still eat the regular food they like.

Learning to eat in moderation isn't easy, no one has said that it is. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean you just give up and go back to overeating. Or trying restriction, which has a very high rate of failure. One common misconception people have about moderation is that it means keeping foods in the home and portioning them out, where they are easily accessible. Often people will binge on foods if that is the case. the recommendation is to not keep the foods in the house, in those cases, and to go and buy a single serving at a time when one is wanted, to avoid overconsumption.

Another assumption is that the good things must come in "tiny" portions. So longbas it dosent consistently displace a singjificant amount of your other desirable macros there's nothing wrong with havin a significant portion of a treat and making room for the calories elsewhere.

I have indulged in some ridiculous DQ concoctions that have effectively replaced meals. In those cases I simply salvage cals from other meals/days until I'm back on track.

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    3 Oreos is one serving, and 1/2 cup of ice cream is one serving. The mind set of moderation is learning to understand that when you eat something, you have one serving of it, and enjoy it. Would you rather have that one serving of it, or have none at all? I don't see what's wrong with having 3 cookies.

Usually, none at all. 3 cookies I'm just getting warmed up to the taste of cookies. It's too easy for 3 cookies to turn into 6. Typically if I "fit in" a treat, it's at the expense of a meal. Or I just go over on my calories for the day.
    It's also easier to practice moderation and work treats in when people have a moderate calorie deficit as opposed to an very high deficit. Although that's a topic that has been previously argued with you before to death, so I'm just going to leave it there.

I'm sure it is. But then you have to balance that lower deficit with less spectacular weight loss results, and for me anyway, it's the results that make the suffering worthwhile. Lackluster results and you start wondering why you are bothering with the suffering.
    That's a stupid saying because it's only applicable if all you care about is the next 5 minutes. It's not reasonable for the vast majority of people to expect to be able to avoid temptation for the rest of your life.

Or perhaps just the next 5 weeks or 5 months until you gain some confidence and stamina in controlling what you eat.
    In the long term it is easier to learn how to deal with these situations and "resistance" becomes much easier, and leads to a better quality of life.

Of course. But not everyone can do that right out of the blocks.
    Add to that the fact that "making the easy choice and only being concerned with about right now" is why a great many people are on MFP trying to lose a bunch of weight, and it's just plain silly to offer this short-sighted saying as a solution to the very problem it created.

If it works, it's not silly.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I liked how this morning Matt kept asking "you can eat anything, right".
    Of course most know you want to get nutrient dense foods in too, but any food is ok.
    It all comes down to cico.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    3 Oreos is one serving, and 1/2 cup of ice cream is one serving. The mind set of moderation is learning to understand that when you eat something, you have one serving of it, and enjoy it. Would you rather have that one serving of it, or have none at all? I don't see what's wrong with having 3 cookies.

Usually, none at all. 3 cookies I'm just getting warmed up to the taste of cookies. It's too easy for 3 cookies to turn into 6. Typically if I "fit in" a treat, it's at the expense of a meal. Or I just go over on my calories for the day.
    It's also easier to practice moderation and work treats in when people have a moderate calorie deficit as opposed to an very high deficit. Although that's a topic that has been previously argued with you before to death, so I'm just going to leave it there.

I'm sure it is. But then you have to balance that lower deficit with less spectacular weight loss results, and for me anyway, it's the results that make the suffering worthwhile. Lackluster results and you start wondering why you are bothering with the suffering.
    That's a stupid saying because it's only applicable if all you care about is the next 5 minutes. It's not reasonable for the vast majority of people to expect to be able to avoid temptation for the rest of your life.

Or perhaps just the next 5 weeks or 5 months until you gain some confidence and stamina in controlling what you eat.
    In the long term it is easier to learn how to deal with these situations and "resistance" becomes much easier, and leads to a better quality of life.

Of course. But not everyone can do that right out of the blocks.
    Add to that the fact that "making the easy choice and only being concerned with about right now" is why a great many people are on MFP trying to lose a bunch of weight, and it's just plain silly to offer this short-sighted saying as a solution to the very problem it created.

If it works, it's not silly.

And you're still losing? Have you made it to goal weight successfully and maintained? Because you seem self-assured for someone who is still struggling with the journey. Do what you want, but if you're still struggling with weight loss and haven't figured it out yet, arguing with people who have successfully lost and maintained seems rather silly.
    Stomp your feet and turn purple and insist you want to stay overweight, then.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Nope. All sugar is fine in moderation. All sugars are the same, digested into glucose by the body.

What sugars end up as after digestion has completed doesn't make them "the same".
  • mccindy72
    Options

What sugars end up as after digestion has completed doesn't make them "the same".

It doesn't matter what they are before you eat them, if they are going to do the same thing once you digest them, maintaining that you are in a calorie deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what they are before you eat them, if they are going to do the same thing once you digest them, maintaining that you are in a calorie deficit.

What do you mean by "it doesn't matter". Doesn't matter to whom or for what?