Matt Lauer proving why no-sugar does't work

Options

Replies

• on_the_other_side
    on_the_other_side Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    You have to find something that works for you. We have an absolutely terrible industry for weight loss in this country that just wants to sell you the latest fad or a long term gym membership or expensive meals and supplements.

I just replaced some of the really high calorie, low satisfaction stuff with some counterparts that I actually prefer but didn't think of buying until I went looking. I have dropped nearly all of the soda from my diet. I buy those honest teas instead when I want a drink that isn't water and its half the calories or less compared to the soda. My other go-to is an unsweetened ice coffee with some milk. That is about 60 calories and its impossible to go back for seconds unless you want bad things to happen to your insides. They are also way more expensive than soda so that helps keep the quantity down.

The other thing I do is manage the proximity of the treats. I buy the dark chocolate cranberries and espresso beans from Trader Joes and I don't let myself take the container out of the cupboard so its limited to a small handful if I happen to want some. The end result is that I end up with less than a serving instead of half the box.

Lastly, I try hard to make myself eat a piece of fresh fruit before any other snack items. You simply can't binge on fresh fruit the way you can on anything processed or dehydrated or baked. You'll be sick before you hit 400 calories worth of apples, but that second doughnut won't even make you feel satisfied.

That might be true for you, but every person is different. I know people who eat hundreds of calories a day of fruit and can't figure out why they aren't losing weight.
    And doughnuts have fat in them, and will be more satiating than fruit.

Makes me wonder what else these people "who eat hundreds of calories a day of fruit" are eating. But your other point goes both ways. One donut clearly doesn't cut it for a lot of people, and apples have fiber that also makes one feel full and satisfied. I feel lucky that sweets have never been my weakness. I love salty foods, however :/ I could easily give up added sugar, but since it's never been a weakness of mine, I don't see the point.

I do agree with your main point, though. Moderation, not replacement foods, is the key. But the thing is, a lot of the time "replacement foods" are replacing junk that really shouldn't make up a huge percentage of our daily calories anyway.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Learning to eat in moderation isn't easy, no one has said that it is. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean you just give up and go back to overeating. Or trying restriction, which has a very high rate of failure.

Is there any data that shows long-term weight loss results between moderation vs. abstinence?

Personally, I find it a process of building confidence and stamina. I could not undertake moderation, caloric deficit, and exercise simultaneously. I did not have the strength in me to do all of those at once. So I did caloric deficit first. Then, as I started feeling like I had some control over that, and got some confidence from the weight loss results, I felt like I could try eating some foods in moderation. Once I felt like I had a handle on that, I felt like I could try some exercise.

Each of these things is an additional burden you have to bear. Just like you might not be able to pick up 100 pounds right away, you might be able to do it if you work up to it.

Lots of people who might be able to manage a caloric deficit through abstinence are not mentally able to do it with moderation yet.

Like the saying goes, it's a lot easier to avoid temptation than it is to resist it. It can be the difference between sticking to a diet or not.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    javakitty wrote: »
    personally it is easier for me to give up sugar and use my calories for healthier options. i am not able to measure out 1/2 cup of ice cream and then leave it alone, if i eat sugar i crave more sugar. i have been eating Quest bars but i am starting to eat them too often so i don't plan on buying anymore for awhile. the last Quest bar that i ate had only 1 gram of sugar, plus 17g of fiber, and 21g of protein. i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. i also try to get the most nutrition from my calories. i think you have to do what works for you and listen to your body. i admire those who can practice moderation!

This post is an example of why this debate happens. This person associates sugar as bad for them, on account of cravings. So she must avoid things like ice cream. But then proceeded to say she isn't buying any more Quest bars because she is eating them too often, despite the fact they only have 1g of sugar. It therefore seems reasonable to think that this person has a misguided fear of sugar.

No, it is completely unreasonable to think that. She clearly stated she tries to not keep foods in the house that she overeats...which is perfectly reasonable and taking personal responsibility. She mentioned sugar and ice cream. And then mentioned a low sugar item which she also avoids for the same reason...she eats too much of it. I don't know where you get the idea she is "afraid" of sugar. Perhaps you read a different post and replied to the wrong person?

No, I don't think so. It stands to reason. this person obviously is relating overeating to something else. Otherwise the nutrition information, including the sugar, wouldn't have been included.

If sugar routinely makes her overeat, she is relating sugar to overeating. She also relates Quest bars to overeating, and she has very clearly stated they do NOT have a lot of sugar. Thus, she she was pretty clear that ANY food she over eats she tried not to keep at home. She actually wrote these words..."i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. "

This seems pretty simple to me.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, I have been adding a tablespoon of real brown sugar to my plain oatmeal the last few mornings instead of having it plain, with stevia, or plain with fruit. And it has made all the difference. Seriously the best most satiating breakfasts I can remember. Artificial sweeteners don't do that for me at all. For me, it's worth the 56 or whatever extra calories because it is so satisfying I quit thinking about food all morning.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    personally it is easier for me to give up sugar and use my calories for healthier options. i am not able to measure out 1/2 cup of ice cream and then leave it alone, if i eat sugar i crave more sugar. i have been eating Quest bars but i am starting to eat them too often so i don't plan on buying anymore for awhile. the last Quest bar that i ate had only 1 gram of sugar, plus 17g of fiber, and 21g of protein. i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. i also try to get the most nutrition from my calories. i think you have to do what works for you and listen to your body. i admire those who can practice moderation!

This post is an example of why this debate happens. This person associates sugar as bad for them, on account of cravings. So she must avoid things like ice cream. But then proceeded to say she isn't buying any more Quest bars because she is eating them too often, despite the fact they only have 1g of sugar. It therefore seems reasonable to think that this person has a misguided fear of sugar.

No, it is completely unreasonable to think that. She clearly stated she tries to not keep foods in the house that she overeats...which is perfectly reasonable and taking personal responsibility. She mentioned sugar and ice cream. And then mentioned a low sugar item which she also avoids for the same reason...she eats too much of it. I don't know where you get the idea she is "afraid" of sugar. Perhaps you read a different post and replied to the wrong person?

No, I don't think so. It stands to reason. this person obviously is relating overeating to something else. Otherwise the nutrition information, including the sugar, wouldn't have been included.

If sugar routinely makes her overeat, she is relating sugar to overeating. She also relates Quest bars to overeating, and she has very clearly stated they do NOT have a lot of sugar. Thus, she she was pretty clear that ANY food she over eats she tried not to keep at home. She actually wrote these words..."i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. "

Sugar doesn't MAKE her overeat. She chooses to overeat things that have sugar in them. Not keeping them in the house is a good choice for her.
    However, she needs to learn how not to overeat. The fact that she now has a food that doesn't have a lot of sugar that she's overeating says a lot, doesn't it? when does she get to the point where she's not keeping any food in the house?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You have to find something that works for you. We have an absolutely terrible industry for weight loss in this country that just wants to sell you the latest fad or a long term gym membership or expensive meals and supplements.

I just replaced some of the really high calorie, low satisfaction stuff with some counterparts that I actually prefer but didn't think of buying until I went looking. I have dropped nearly all of the soda from my diet. I buy those honest teas instead when I want a drink that isn't water and its half the calories or less compared to the soda. My other go-to is an unsweetened ice coffee with some milk. That is about 60 calories and its impossible to go back for seconds unless you want bad things to happen to your insides. They are also way more expensive than soda so that helps keep the quantity down.

The other thing I do is manage the proximity of the treats. I buy the dark chocolate cranberries and espresso beans from Trader Joes and I don't let myself take the container out of the cupboard so its limited to a small handful if I happen to want some. The end result is that I end up with less than a serving instead of half the box.

Lastly, I try hard to make myself eat a piece of fresh fruit before any other snack items. You simply can't binge on fresh fruit the way you can on anything processed or dehydrated or baked. You'll be sick before you hit 400 calories worth of apples, but that second doughnut won't even make you feel satisfied.

That might be true for you, but every person is different. I know people who eat hundreds of calories a day of fruit and can't figure out why they aren't losing weight.

I also find it odd that people think you can't binge on nutrient dense things (regardless of if they're sweet or not). I had a binge the other day, and ended up eating what was within easy reach; ended up being the entire pound of brussel sprouts I'd just roasted...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't MAKE her overeat. She chooses to overeat things that have sugar in them. Not keeping them in the house is a good choice for her.
    However, she needs to learn how not to overeat. The fact that she now has a food that doesn't have a lot of sugar that she's overeating says a lot, doesn't it? when does she get to the point where she's not keeping any food in the house?

How is keeping food you overeat out of the house not a method of learning not to overeat? You can't overeat it if it's not there, right?
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options

It appears to me she has learned one easy way to not overeat: Simply do not keep things she eats too much of in her house. Whether she finds other ways is her call. If she does, not keeping it at home will work in the meantime. If she doesn't, not keeping it at home will work forever.

You grossly oversimplify matters, which is not helpful for anybody looking for advice. That's a shame.
  • mccindy72
    Options

How is keeping food you overeat out of the house not a method of learning not to overeat? You can't overeat it if it's not there, right?

If your problem is so great that you can't keep any food in the house......? she's losing foods one at a time, what's next?
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

If your problem is so great that you can't keep any food in the house......? she's losing foods one at a time, what's next?

She mentioned TWO foods. Seriously, get control of yourself.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

I myself ate a pound of fruit almost everyday while I was in the hospital, in addition to everything else.

• mccindy72
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I also find it odd that people think you can't binge on nutrient dense things (regardless of if they're sweet or not). I had a binge the other day, and ended up eating what was within easy reach; ended up being the entire pound of brussel sprouts I'd just roasted...

Oh, I've done that with vegetables, especially roasted ones. SO good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The first sentence has a question mark but I don't see a question to answer. What difference does what's next make? Even if your ridiculous extrapolation was correct and she did lose food one at a time it would take a really long time to go through every food, don't you think?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Does anyone think that? As many people binge on things like chips and pizza as on sweets, I'd bet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

The first sentence has a question mark but I don't see a question to answer. What difference does what's next make? Even if your ridiculous extrapolation was correct and she did lose food one at a time it would take a really long time to go through every food, don't you think?

Agreed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it a process of building confidence and stamina. I could not undertake moderation, caloric deficit, and exercise simultaneously. I did not have the strength in me to do all of those at once. So I did caloric deficit first. Then, as I started feeling like I had some control over that, and got some confidence from the weight loss results, I felt like I could try eating some foods in moderation. Once I felt like I had a handle on that, I felt like I could try some exercise.

Each of these things is an additional burden you have to bear. Just like you might not be able to pick up 100 pounds right away, you might be able to do it if you work up to it.

Lots of people who might be able to manage a caloric deficit through abstinence are not mentally able to do it with moderation yet.

Like the saying goes, it's a lot easier to avoid temptation than it is to resist it. It can be the difference between sticking to a diet or not.

This is interesting and definitely shows how people are different.

For me, it was important to start with exercise plus a calorie deficit. Not hard exercise -- I intentionally made my demands on myself pretty easy at first -- but exercise makes a huge difference to my motivation and excitement about the process. It was important to me not to focus JUST on deprivation.

Similarly, it was important to focus on improving my diet (not just cutting calories) upfront, since that felt like a fun, positive change, not just deprivation. As part of that I focused on changing some habits, which meant cutting out sweets for a while AND snacking, and came to realize that the issue for me wasn't sweets, but snacking, so my version of elimination was eliminating snacking.

As for moderation, I see this as really a choice between a year (or a lifetime) on diet food, as I see some people try to do--all veggies with no oil or butter and chicken breast and "diet" products and Fiber One bars (I know some like those, I don't)--or eating basically normally, just less. It was important to me to believe that eating fewer calories would also be a fun, enjoyable way to eat, so I've included chicken with skin and steak and pork shoulder on occasion and lamb shanks and some butter on my fish sometimes and potatoes and pasta and, yes, ice cream and cheese as part of my overall diet. And lots of vegetables since I love vegetables and am a volume eater. For me it would not be at all easier to eat in a more restrictive manner while dieting--it would make it hard to imagine doing it for the 13 months it took me to lose my 95 lbs to date or while maintaining happily. But doing it as I did I didn't find it hard at all. (And the fact I exercised so had a reasonable number of calories probably helped.)

Now, as I've been maintaining, I do find myself working through some of the issues with sustaining this as fun without the added benefit of seeing the losses every week. I am satisfied and enjoy how I eat, but sure I'd sometimes like not to have to think of it, but that's not focused on any particular kind of food. I don't think elimination would make this aspect of it -- or my emotional eating struggles -- easier for me.

But I acknowledge that people are different.

Overall, I think it's been an interesting and not unpleasant process. Fun even.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

You can if you get offered it places besides the house, so if that happens putting all your eggs in the avoidance basket might not be helpful.

But it also might, if your house was the place you were in the habit of eating it, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Raw horse meat ice cream would be a great replacement food.

dqqy1szmqosr.jpeg

75udyjt40box.jpeg

I love weird ice cream flavors. Avocado ice cream sounds delicious to me.

But raw horse meat, no. I've met my adventurous eating limit!

(Pretty sure that the eat for your Type B blood diet said I should eat a lot of raw horse meat, though.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

You can if you get offered it places besides the house, so if that happens putting all your eggs in the avoidance basket might not be helpful.

But it also might, if your house was the place you were in the habit of eating it, of course.

Even if you are offered it outside your home and you do over-indulge, that doesn't mean you will have overeaten for more than that day. Most everyone has high calorie days. Keeping troublesome foods out of the house can be a good way to keep those days to a minimum.