Matt Lauer proving why no-sugar does't work

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You can still have the ice cream, the cookie, the piece of cake. A serving of it. Not a binge sitting.

The problem is many people lack the self-control to do that, especially initially. As the saying goes:

9acbc4e7f8a4233ba15f6d506df37f2c.jpg

did you read the whole post? Or my post to you in the other thread? You're missing the point of moderation. Weighing, logging, having the small serving every day. No restriction, no binging necessary. You know you get to have more again. Hold yourself accountable for your actions.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    All that Matt Lauer proved is that it doesn't work for him...

So you do well with 'avocado ice cream', do you?

Thankfully, there are more options than "eat tiny bits of things you love" and "eat avocado ice cream" (whatever the heck that is).

Well, you're obviously missing the point of the initial post, which was about a specific episode of the Today Show, and replacement food for regular food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Thankfully, there are more options than "eat tiny bits of things you love" and "eat avocado ice cream" (whatever the heck that is).

Well, you're obviously missing the point of the initial post, which was about a specific episode of the Today Show, and replacement food for regular food.

If the point was something other than replacements foods will make you miss the original food and binge on them, then I suppose I did.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    did you read the whole post? Or my post to you in the other thread? You're missing the point of moderation. Weighing, logging, having the small serving every day. No restriction, no binging necessary. You know you get to have more again. Hold yourself accountable for your actions.

Yes, I read both of them. Did you read mine?

I'm not missing the point of moderation. I understand fully what the point of moderation is. What I'm telling you is that not everyone has the self-discipline for moderation.

If everyone did, there would be no such thing as binging.

• fiddlyfoo
    fiddlyfoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Tomorrow's episode should be interesting. They'll be investigating whether calorie counting and apps like MFP work. >:)

Can you, or someone else, report back tomorrow for us non-americans? I'm interested in what they have to say.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rushfive wrote: »

I don't know if it was the same morning show... but did you see the one where they had a dietician on comparing foods nutrient values.
    She had a quest bar and then a R. peanut butter cup with something else (cant remember what it was). but the point was they had the same nutrient values. Of course everybody picked the Quest bar as the healthy choice when actually they were the same.

Perhaps calories and sugar? But overall the two are not the same.

There was something else with the peanut butter cup, I can't remember what it was, probably the fiber portion. Its was on a morning show a few days ago.
    She listed the quest bar nutrients then listed the other plate (p.b.c +) and they were nearly identical.

Edit.... maybe it was a breakfast protein bar... not a quest bar.... Now that I think more about it. :o Anyway it was interesting what people thought going by packaging and labeling.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Yes, I read both of them. Did you read mine?

I'm not missing the point of moderation. I understand fully what the point of moderation is. What I'm telling you is that not everyone has the self-discipline for moderation.

If everyone did, there would be no such thing as binging.

This is very true. Just saying "eat that in moderation" is easy for anyone. How well you can practice it will vary greatly from person to person.
  • javakitty
    javakitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    personally it is easier for me to give up sugar and use my calories for healthier options. i am not able to measure out 1/2 cup of ice cream and then leave it alone, if i eat sugar i crave more sugar. i have been eating Quest bars but i am starting to eat them too often so i don't plan on buying anymore for awhile. the last Quest bar that i ate had only 1 gram of sugar, plus 17g of fiber, and 21g of protein. i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. i also try to get the most nutrition from my calories. i think you have to do what works for you and listen to your body. i admire those who can practice moderation!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    fiddlyfoo wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Tomorrow's episode should be interesting. They'll be investigating whether calorie counting and apps like MFP work. >:)

Can you, or someone else, report back tomorrow for us non-americans? I'm interested in what they have to say.

I'll try to find it online. I'm in the US but can't watch the show. I can't even find the no-sugar challenge on their website! Still digging:

http://www.today.com/
  • mccindy72
    Options

If the point was something other than replacements foods will make you miss the original food and binge on them, then I suppose I did.

People won't like the 'replacement food' because it doesn't taste good. They will miss the food they are trying to replace. They won't eat the replacement food, and will still eat the regular food they like.

Learning to eat in moderation isn't easy, no one has said that it is. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean you just give up and go back to overeating. Or trying restriction, which has a very high rate of failure. One common misconception people have about moderation is that it means keeping foods in the home and portioning them out, where they are easily accessible. Often people will binge on foods if that is the case. the recommendation is to not keep the foods in the house, in those cases, and to go and buy a single serving at a time when one is wanted, to avoid overconsumption.
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You have to find something that works for you. We have an absolutely terrible industry for weight loss in this country that just wants to sell you the latest fad or a long term gym membership or expensive meals and supplements.

I just replaced some of the really high calorie, low satisfaction stuff with some counterparts that I actually prefer but didn't think of buying until I went looking. I have dropped nearly all of the soda from my diet. I buy those honest teas instead when I want a drink that isn't water and its half the calories or less compared to the soda. My other go-to is an unsweetened ice coffee with some milk. That is about 60 calories and its impossible to go back for seconds unless you want bad things to happen to your insides. They are also way more expensive than soda so that helps keep the quantity down.

The other thing I do is manage the proximity of the treats. I buy the dark chocolate cranberries and espresso beans from Trader Joes and I don't let myself take the container out of the cupboard so its limited to a small handful if I happen to want some. The end result is that I end up with less than a serving instead of half the box.

Lastly, I try hard to make myself eat a piece of fresh fruit before any other snack items. You simply can't binge on fresh fruit the way you can on anything processed or dehydrated or baked. You'll be sick before you hit 400 calories worth of apples, but that second doughnut won't even make you feel satisfied.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

People won't like the 'replacement food' because it doesn't taste good. They will miss the food they are trying to replace. They won't eat the replacement food, and will still eat the regular food they like.

Learning to eat in moderation isn't easy, no one has said that it is. Just because something isn't easy doesn't mean you just give up and go back to overeating. Or trying restriction, which has a very high rate of failure. One common misconception people have about moderation is that it means keeping foods in the home and portioning them out, where they are easily accessible. Often people will binge on foods if that is the case. the recommendation is to not keep the foods in the house, in those cases, and to go and buy a single serving at a time when one is wanted, to avoid overconsumption.

I moderate my consumption in different ways, depending on the food. I used to be a bread binger, but I have learned to moderate while keeping it in the house. Some things I buy a single serving when I want it. Other things I buy full sizes but keep them in a less accessible spot, like the trunk of my car. I hope to eventually not need to do these things but, until I have been able to change my behavior completely, these tricks will need to do.

• mccindy72
    Options
    You have to find something that works for you. We have an absolutely terrible industry for weight loss in this country that just wants to sell you the latest fad or a long term gym membership or expensive meals and supplements.

I just replaced some of the really high calorie, low satisfaction stuff with some counterparts that I actually prefer but didn't think of buying until I went looking. I have dropped nearly all of the soda from my diet. I buy those honest teas instead when I want a drink that isn't water and its half the calories or less compared to the soda. My other go-to is an unsweetened ice coffee with some milk. That is about 60 calories and its impossible to go back for seconds unless you want bad things to happen to your insides. They are also way more expensive than soda so that helps keep the quantity down.

The other thing I do is manage the proximity of the treats. I buy the dark chocolate cranberries and espresso beans from Trader Joes and I don't let myself take the container out of the cupboard so its limited to a small handful if I happen to want some. The end result is that I end up with less than a serving instead of half the box.

Lastly, I try hard to make myself eat a piece of fresh fruit before any other snack items. You simply can't binge on fresh fruit the way you can on anything processed or dehydrated or baked. You'll be sick before you hit 400 calories worth of apples, but that second doughnut won't even make you feel satisfied.

That might be true for you, but every person is different. I know people who eat hundreds of calories a day of fruit and can't figure out why they aren't losing weight.
    And doughnuts have fat in them, and will be more satiating than fruit.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options

You missed the point that because Matt Lauer didn't like a handful of foods SOMEBODY ELSE chose for him, it doesn't mean that nobody can give up added sugar. Millions of people have and maintained it for years. Not everybody NEEDS their sugar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The first paragraph would be true if you changed every "will" to "may".

Diets of all types have a very high rate of failure. Thinking there is one way that will work for everyone seems ridiculous to me. There isn't. We can argue about it all day and there still won't be.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You can still have the ice cream, the cookie, the piece of cake. A serving of it. Not a binge sitting.

The problem is many people lack the self-control to do that, especially initially. As the saying goes:

9acbc4e7f8a4233ba15f6d506df37f2c.jpg

Binging is not "necessary" for anybody. The problem is lots of people do it. Both those who practice restriction AND those who practice moderation. It's a completely separate issue and people should choose the strategy (restriction or elimination) that works best for them.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    javakitty wrote: »
    personally it is easier for me to give up sugar and use my calories for healthier options. i am not able to measure out 1/2 cup of ice cream and then leave it alone, if i eat sugar i crave more sugar. i have been eating Quest bars but i am starting to eat them too often so i don't plan on buying anymore for awhile. the last Quest bar that i ate had only 1 gram of sugar, plus 17g of fiber, and 21g of protein. i just try not to keep foods in the house that i over eat. i also try to get the most nutrition from my calories. i think you have to do what works for you and listen to your body. i admire those who can practice moderation!

This post is an example of why this debate happens. This person associates sugar as bad for them, on account of cravings. So she must avoid things like ice cream. But then proceeded to say she isn't buying any more Quest bars because she is eating them too often, despite the fact they only have 1g of sugar. It therefore seems reasonable to think that this person has a misguided fear of sugar.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

This post is an example of why this debate happens. This person associates sugar as bad for them, on account of cravings. So she must avoid things like ice cream. But then proceeded to say she isn't buying any more Quest bars because she is eating them too often, despite the fact they only have 1g of sugar. It therefore seems reasonable to think that this person has a misguided fear of sugar.

No, it is completely unreasonable to think that. She clearly stated she tries to not keep foods in the house that she overeats...which is perfectly reasonable and taking personal responsibility. She mentioned sugar and ice cream. And then mentioned a low sugar item which she also avoids for the same reason...she eats too much of it. I don't know where you get the idea she is "afraid" of sugar. Perhaps you read a different post and replied to the wrong person?
  • mccindy72
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »

No, it is completely unreasonable to think that. She clearly stated she tries to not keep foods in the house that she overeats...which is perfectly reasonable and taking personal responsibility. She mentioned sugar and ice cream. And then mentioned a low sugar item which she also avoids for the same reason...she eats too much of it. I don't know where you get the idea she is "afraid" of sugar. Perhaps you read a different post and replied to the wrong person?

No, I don't think so. It stands to reason. this person obviously is relating overeating to something else. Otherwise the nutrition information, including the sugar, wouldn't have been included.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

That might be true for you, but every person is different. I know people who eat hundreds of calories a day of fruit and can't figure out why they aren't losing weight.
    And doughnuts have fat in them, and will be more satiating than fruit.
    A definitely can. If I have a bowl full of my favorite fruits, I can't have it within arm's reach or else it would be empty pretty fast.