Matt Lauer proving why no-sugar does't work

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Hold on a second....gluconeogensis cannot fill all the body's glucose requirements, even in the presence of essentially unlimited protein intake.

If by "carbs aren't necessary" you mean "you won't die for a while", then fair game. But if it's supposed to mean "leads to an energetic, full lifestyle", the answer is yes, carbs *are* biologically necessary.

Depending on individual and context, the level can be pretty low (some folks can manage on <50g /day more or less indefinitely, and virtually everyone's needs are covered by 100g/day), but going literally zero carb is going to cause problems if done for very long.

Not sure if it's me you were replying to, but I was only saying that you won't "go into a coma and die" from lack of dietary carbs, assuming you are healthy and have no special conditions that prevent gluconeogenesis.

Yeah, that's why I tried to clarify. So many of these discussions go sideways because people aren't being clear on what they're trying to say.

:drinker:

Personally I feel like crap without carbs, so I eat 45-55% of my calories as carbs, often more. I was only replying to a poster who said that without dietary carbs, blood sugar levels would collapse and cause coma and death, which isn't the case.

By SAD standards I'm pretty low carb - 20%ish - but going lower than that would make it impossible to continue training at the same level (triathlon stuff).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are some keto'ers who perform at quite a high athletic level - not many because they are a small minority, but they are there.

I found this doctor's blog interesting. He is a keto'er who does long swims, runs, rides and some intense weights. http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/the-interplay-of-exercise-and-ketosis-part-i

I don't know if performance is any better than a high carb diet, but it doesn't appear to negatively affect performance either.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why do you assume that people are unable to enjoy fruit or the like until they "change their palate"? The vast majority of people no doubt enjoy BOTH fruit and ice cream.

I think people are saying that you have to change your palate to enjoy candy LESS, and then fruit becomes to your taste buds more like a decadent dessert than a healthy snack.

My palate has changed and that in itself helps me moderate sweets. If a candy bar/ice cream/drink/dessert is too sweet for your tastes, you won't eat very much of it. I used to love Snickers bars. Now, if I have one (which is maybe once every few months), I have to share it. I still have chocolate, just less sweet varieties and in smaller amounts than before.

For some that may be so, I think it also depends on the sweets you like. And I'm quoting you just to add to the conversation about changing palate, here, if I may, not trying to be argumentative with you or anything you've said in particular or anything, just to be clear. :)

My palate finds many fruits far sweeter than the kind of candy and desserts that I enjoy - which are sweet however their sweetness is tempered by salt and fat.
    I get no enjoyment or urge to indulge in Jolly Ranchers and lollipops and alike. Far too sweet, just like a lot of fruit is far too sweet for my tastes.
    So I don't think cutting out the richer sweets that I enjoy will make me appreciate sweet fruit more. The whole reason I don't appreciate a lot of fruit is because it's too sweet and is more similar to me to the the kind of sugar-dense candies which I also don't enjoy eating.

Fruits that aren't sweet or sugary (and are very often mistaken as vegetables by many because they aren't sweet) are the fruits I eat frequently and enjoy. And I don't think the reason that I find avocados and cucumbers and bell peppers and Oreo cookies appealing, whereas apples and peaches and whatnot are not (though I do enjoy the smell and the unique flavor these fruits can impart, apart from their sweetness), can fairly be attributable to my palate being messed up and in need of an adjustment.

Another reason I don't feel a messed up palate is entirely the reason for my dislike of sugar-dense fruit (and candies) is because I really hate the sensation of my teeth being coated with a plaque film. Same reason I don't enjoy sugary sodas, and sugary gum. I don't get the same tooth-coating sensation when fat comes to the party, however, or at least not as bad.

Really, the only things that really alter my palate in ways where cutting down or cutting them out completely has had a marked effect on how food tastes, are salt and cigarettes.

Anyway, just my experience and my 2 cents here. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I found this doctor's blog interesting. He is a keto'er who does long swims, runs, rides and some intense weights.

On his Day 2 ride, he consumed enough carbs just during the ride to put himself out of ketosis.

• gummybears700
    gummybears700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    10 days isnt enough time. if you want to cut sugar completely and not miss it, maybe 3 months? but the one issue i find with cutting sugar is that it also leaves you famished after a long social event, especially when people bring food to share because there is absolutely nothing you can actually eat. but i guess if you want to cut out sugar completely, have a treat a day for a month, then once a week, then once a fortnight...and hopefully it'll just go
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I found this doctor's blog interesting. He is a keto'er who does long swims, runs, rides and some intense weights.

On his Day 2 ride, he consumed enough carbs just during the ride to put himself out of ketosis.

I believe he stayed in ketosis because those carbs were used during his workout. Some Low carbers add carbs before or during their workout so their performance doesn't suffer. Attia refers to carbs as a performance enhancing substance. For really intense, competive workouts, I believe this to be true. For a house wife who is working out for her own satisfaction it isn't an issue. For you it may be an issue, you sound much more fit than I.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I might be wrong though...maybe he does want to miserable...IDK.

There's a specific post here where he basically said that, but I'm also thinking of past conversations.