Will you eat it if you hate the taste?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of debates recently that the taste of food is meaningless and food serves no purpose other than fueling the body. I tend to disagree - if something doesn't taste good, even if I'm trying to lose weight, I can't eat it - I'd rather starve, as dramatic as that sounds. Today, I have tilapia and green beans for lunch. I'm feeling the green beans but the tilapia, not so much. I hate, hate, hate fish but I can suck it up and have salmon and shell fish. I'm debating going out for lunch and picking up something healthy-ish in the area (that something has yet to be determined).

Do you eat it if you hate the taste or do you opt for something different?

Depends on my options. I'm not going to starve myself just because something doesn't taste great. I hate cilantro but if the choice is starve or eat cilantro then I'd eat it. I'd eat bugs before starving. If I can eat something else I like better I would though. I enjoy food and it is definitely more than just fuel to me.

I don't like seafood much and I don't force myself to eat it. There are so many other foods I do like.
  • CatKaren
    CatKaren Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    "Hate" seems an awfully melodramatic response to tilapia.

I'm adding my two cents. I HATE, seriously HATE fish. I don't eat it. Periodddd!!!
    I don't know how others do it, but I won't touch those nasty protein powders, or premades. I've spent far to much money on, "try this flavor" "add this to it". Yadda. They suck! I have my tastless, non thickening, can add to HOT beverages, Genepro protein powder, and I am happy.
    I also do not like, at all
  • CatKaren
    CatKaren Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    GREEK yogurt, ick
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Would I eat something I hated the taste of just to fuel my body? Yeah. I've done it a million times. They weren't exactly 4 star chefs at the homeless shelter. I've also eaten food I didn't like out of politeness. When my friend with Parkinson's Disease makes me dinner, I'm going to eat that dinner. A neighbor spilled her wine into the scalloped potatoes at Christmas one year and looked mortified. I dug into those potatoes and ate them up.

My boyfriend has eaten my gross brussel sprouts and eggplant, and I've eaten his icky spinach and his kale and carrot smoothies. I've happily eaten durian and sea urchin because new things are exciting, even if they're not 100% pleasant.

But if you're asking me to eat frozen peas, gtfo.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't like kale it's vile, but I mask the flavour with other things or chop it up and put it in a stew. Yep I eat it because I have problems absorbing nutrients and need the boost. I can't taste it but it's there.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Food can be so much more than fuel; an experience, a way to see the world and experience other cultures, a way to experiment, etc. I can't imagine eating because you must and only what you must (people like that are probably hoping for a "eat this one pill per day and it will take care of all your nutritional needs" future).

I like food. I enjoy preparing it, eating it, enjoying it. I don't eat food I don't like because then the experience is a negative one. We all get enough of those in life, we don't need to actively pursue them.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I wont eat anything i dont like. With the incredibly vast option of food sources, why would i?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    barring literal starvation, No. why would I?

If I am a guest somewhere, I may take one or two bites out of politeness, but I'm not going to force myself to eat something I truly dislike.

I am a very picky eater (really I just have rules regarding food, but I call it picky anyways), but I will try almost anything at least once.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Very few things I do not like, so this could be a very hypothetical question for me. If it were black licorice and I had to eat it to survive, I might have hard time deciding. That's about it.

I live in a country where every. damn. thing. has "lakrids" or even worse..."saltlakrids" in it. MMM
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Nope, nope, nope. I won't be eating anything I hate. There aren't that many things I hate, so I don't see why I would have to subject myself to that.

I do eat a lot of veggies to fill me up though. I definitely don't love veggies and I'd rather have them drenched in cheese sauce or butter, but at some point there needs to be some sort of compromise.
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have brought something to lunch before that didn't turn out good or I just wasn't "feeling it". Nothing wrong with running to Subway or Qdoba or McDonalds or (insert your fave lunch spot here) for something better!
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    And no. I wouldn't want to "waste" calories on something that doesn't taste good! I only get so many cals in a day - better make them worth it! haha
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Um, if I don't like it, I don't eat it? Seriously, I don't care how "healthy" it could be, if I can't enjoy it, it ain't going in my mouth.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think the overwhelming response you will get here is, "NO" except for some of those extreme examples where food literally is scarce or you are doing something to be polite.

I think the question is OP, why are you eating tilapia if you hate it so much? Did you cook it? What made you think that was the best option for you?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    We have taste buds for a reason.

Of course I would not eat food that I did not enjoy. However I also have always been willing to try things and some things a few times before deciding that I absolutely hate it. So far the only thing I absolutely won't eat is bleu cheese.

Most recently I took the plunge and tried sushi, despite my revulsion at the idea of eating raw fish. As it turns out I LOVE sushi. Especially a little piece of raw yellowtail. The flavor and texture turned out to be nothing like I had imagined.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    No way am I touching it if I don't enjoy it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    No. If I am "trying" a new food and don't like the taste of it, there is no way that I would continue to eat or finish it for that matter.