Will you eat it if you hate the taste?

Options
I've had a couple of debates recently that the taste of food is meaningless and food serves no purpose other than fueling the body. I tend to disagree - if something doesn't taste good, even if I'm trying to lose weight, I can't eat it - I'd rather starve, as dramatic as that sounds. Today, I have tilapia and green beans for lunch. I'm feeling the green beans but the tilapia, not so much. I hate, hate, hate fish but I can suck it up and have salmon and shell fish. I'm debating going out for lunch and picking up something healthy-ish in the area (that something has yet to be determined).

Do you eat it if you hate the taste or do you opt for something different?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If I don't like it I'm not eating it.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Of course not. Why would I eat something I didn't like?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    How is that a question? Why would I eat something I hate?
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Different. I have to like my food. Otherwise I figure it isn't worth the calories...even if it is low in calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I am not, never have been, and don't expect I every will be, a "food is nothing more than fuel" kind of person. But even if I were, I still wouldn't eat something I don't enjoy. I like way too many foods to think I need to eat something I don't like to fuel myself.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ^^ All of the above.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I eat many things I don't prefer, but nothing I don't like.

e.g. I'd prefer the bacon cheeseburger, but I like a turkey burger with grilled onions too ..
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I refuse to eat kale or quinoa just because some faceless authority tells me that they're good for me.
    I think they're disgusting and I won't eat them.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nope, can't get it down
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i like everything i eat and its a bonus that most of it is very healthy

if i think something is gross i do not eat it . i want to enjoy my food not hate it
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way Sullus, I'll eat the healthy alternative, but I will not cringe while putting something in my mouth, there are so many different variations and ways to make something healthy to eat cardboard or other things that taste horrible. lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    the only people I know personally who only think of food as fuel are some pretty high caliber athletes I know...I think most people like to actually enjoy what they eat. So no...I don't go around eating stuff that I can't stand...that just seems stupid to me.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    "Hate" seems an awfully melodramatic response to tilapia.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    No, I will not eat something I hate. Why?? There are plenty of options! I guess I am lucky that I am not picky and do enjoy a lot of healthier food. Maybe it would be more difficult if I despised most of the healthy food I eat. Thankfully, I like it!
  • vypressme
    vypressme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I thought his thread was about grapefruit.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have only met one person my entire life that eats just because his body required fuel. I can't imagine eating something I do not like. I can nake healthier choices though like sullus said. I like beefy grounD chuck tacos and chili but, I also enjoy ground turkey in them. I am a picky eater but, I still try to eat a variety. Sometimes that means "hiding" things I don't really like in foods that I do like. I still won't eat seafood of any kind because it smells like feet and dirty water all mixed together all of it. Shrimp, salmon, tialpia, lobster and crab. If I can't stand the smell it is definitely not going in my mouth.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I will try something a few times a few different ways. I used to hate broccoli, but now I love it. If I decide I don't like something for sure, it won't find it's way into my shopping cart. I'd rather use my calories on foods I enjoy.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you hate it then don't eat it. There are plenty of yummy healthy foods out there. By forcing yourself to eat something you hate, you wil give up on your diet.... Its not like you arent going to lose weight because you are not eating fish.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Well while I am definitely a "food is just fuel" type, there is a difference between tasty fuel and yucky fuel. I eat good food that I like. Why would I suffer through eating bad tasting stuff? But yes, it *is* just "fuel" to me.