Not burning calories even though working out at 80% of max heart rate!!! HELP!!!

Replies

• LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    OP - will you open your diary?

I don't want to. I have been feeling very overwhelmed by some of the responses I've had from some other people where I have felt quite attacked.. I've never posted something quite like this before and I have to admit I'm feeling quite bullied.. I wanted to delete the post but apparently I can't.. so I will take the info people have posted and keep a lot of it mind as many people have posted a lot of things that have given me plenty to think about and research... however I'm not willing to open my diary up publicly after feeling the way I have been!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

I don't want to. I have been feeling very overwhelmed by some of the responses I've had from some other people where I have felt quite attacked.. I've never posted something quite like this before and I have to admit I'm feeling quite bullied.. I wanted to delete the post but apparently I can't.. so I will take the info people have posted and keep a lot of it mind as many people have posted a lot of things that have given me plenty to think about and research... however I'm not willing to open my diary up publicly after feeling the way I have been!

We never doubted it. Stating the obvious is not bullying. Your drs are not bullies either. We can all pat your back and make encouraging sounds. You will feel better. But will remain overweight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

It's up to you. Sometimes it can be helpful. We tend to overlook things, I do it myself. You will probably get comments you don't like as well, that's the nature of internet discussion. Take what you want and leave the rest.
    You have gotten a lot of good info here. Try to read it not as an attack, but as someone trying to be helpful.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    @LisaJayne71 from what I can see here, people are trying to help you, not attack you.

You've made an effort to improve your health via exercise and it seems are willing to go to quite some lengths in this regard. That's great. Some of us are giving you advice as to how to maximize the exercise aspect of your fitness/health program.

Others have given you very good advice about being accountable via your diary and regarding their experiences with a condition they share with you.

Why put in all this effort without absolutely maximizing everything you do? Being accountable might help you a lot. and it won't take long to determine if the impact has been positive for you. Why not take a chance? Being open has worked for thousands upon thousands here.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I cnat see why you need to see her diary because its just going to confirm what everyone else is thinking anyway.
    Friend some people with pcos and get them to look, that way you cna control it and feel less threatened.

It boils down to the thread from this morning, eating more than you think and burning less. Maube the OP will learn and reforumlate her weight loss plan to make it more realistic and more effective.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited June 2015
    I would say you need to talk to a nutritionist and your Dr. Just counting calories and exercise is probably not going to be the silver bullet for you that it is for most people. PCOS affects insulin resistance and that in itself is enough to be needing a dr to monitor and possibly even offer medication to help combat it.

Good luck.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Something else occurs to me. You went to boot camp with what intention? A quick fix? It did not teach you how to adjust your lifestyle in real life to maintain any of what you achieved there and they did not manage your expectations in regards to what can be achieved and in what time scales. They took your money and fed on your hang ups about PCOS.

Now you have taken time off work to lose what is not an insubstantial amount of weight (and I say this as someone who has a similar amount to lose). Even supposing you get maybe half of that off, what then? Will going back to work just undo all of that work again because you haven't learned how to make it a part of your daily habit?

The other thing to remember is that most people commenting are commenting as people who have been where you are, overweight and wanting to make a change, whether they have a lifetime of weight issues or it's reasonably new or they're from a formerly fit and healthy background. It's all lived experience. They aren't being mean, you're interpreting it that way because it challenges what you thought you knew about yourself and weight loss and exercise. Digest for a bit and come back to re-read, there's good advice here.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited June 2015
    To the OP, your problem isn't the PCOS, it isn't how much you're eating, how much you're working out..........it just seems like you have all of your information about fitness and weight loss jumbled up in your head, further exacerbated by many yahoos feeding you bad information.

From the people putting too much weight into what a HRM says, to the endocrinologist who says you should eat as low as 500 calories (why this person is allowed to practice medicine, I am not sure), and the jackholes who charged you 10K for them to look at a HRM, say that you aren't burning enough, further screwing up any hope that you'll obtain factual knowledge about health and fitness.

There was some benefit to one of the previous posters recommending some form of therapy or counseling. The person was on the right track, yet you thought they were attacking your PCOS. That poster wasn't accusing you of making up PCOS, they were stating that your head isn't on straight about the underlying causes and solutions to being overweight.

I think it's time for you to get a reset.......forget everything that every prior external influence has told you about fitness, health, and weight loss and start with a clean slate. Speak with a medical professional (just hopefully not that endocrinologist), speak with a counselor, I might even recommend speaking with a nutritionist and a (licensed) personal trainer. Stop getting sucked in by people who think there's some health value in looking at a HRM and feel like any sound judgments can be made with that tool.

Yes, I use a HRM, but it's only a tool. It's not the end all, be all of my fitness goals.
    Do you want to guess what registers a higher calorie burn for me, strength or cardio..........of course it's cardio.
    Do you want to guess which one is going to have a greater benefit to my overall fitness and weight loss goals..........strength training (sorry cardio enthusiasts, but it's true).

When I get done with a workout, do you want to guess how much I agonize about the number on my HRM..........I don't. It's a tool, it's a guide, nothing more.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP, in the nicest possible way, as a fellow PCOS sufferer, you are using PCOS as an excuse. PCOS gets worst by you being overweight. It is not defying the laws of physics: eat less, lose weight. I have PCOS and I am hypothyroid. Also insulin resistant, not for weight related issues. Diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I have lived with these conditions for that long, and it never crossed my mind to start a conversation in real life or on line explaining I suffer from these things. I have actually never mentioned them, to anyone but my dr and in reply to people saying they suffer from these conditions, as in "yeah, me too, here is what worked for me". The fact you start a thread and mention PCOS, a very common condition millions of women suffer from, as something that you need to say to introduce yourself, it means something is very wrong with your thinking regarding weight loss. Your dr is not taking you seriously, because you are using a medical condition that needs weight loss to get better, as an excuse to not lose weight. Focus on your diet, count calories properly, do some exercise (whether it is simple old fashioned walking or something "trendier", it is irrelevant for your goals), be consistent for a few months, forget being a special case, and you will be surprised very pleasantly.

tumblr_mei017xLGW1rmwepjo1_400.png

+2
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    to be honest try weight training on days you dont do cardio, I would alternate every other day. maybe you are doing to much exercise? I know when I was working out twice a day,I got to the point that I stopped losing anything. once I toned it down to once a day for 30-60 min,I started losing again.low calories doesnt mean below 1200 or at least it shouldnt. my daughter sees an endo for a few different issues and they told her 1200 calories although now some days she eats more,she is losing weight,but shes losing inches quicker than the weight, I know everyone is different and different things work for them.I would take a rest day or two as well. any dr that tells you to eat only 500 calories to me is a nutjob. your body cannot survive long on that,you will waste away.

Thank you! I spoke to a doctor the other day who was visiting a friend and she suggested I was possibly exercising too much but didn't want to give much advice as I'm not her patient. Who would have though too much exercise would have that effect!
    it certainly did on me,I think for some of us it stresses our body. I could be wrong though.I go through plateaus also which is normal but I was in one for almost 60 days due to overdoing it on the exercise. so its possible
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Thank you! I spoke to a doctor the other day who was visiting a friend and she suggested I was possibly exercising too much but didn't want to give much advice as I'm not her patient. Who would have though too much exercise would have that effect!

You are absolutely positively not exercising "too much".

Good grief...

Agreed. I wouldn't listen to that doctor anymore.
    are you saying that its not possible? too much exercise can cause stress on your body,which from research can cause cortisol levels to rise,stress itself without exercise can cause that to happen as well. lots of things can cause your body not to lose weight and it doesnt always have to do with food or a medical issue. since she has pcos which Im sure is stress on her body overdoing the exercise can stress it even more.

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member

Good grief...

are you saying that its not possible? too much exercise can cause stress on your body,which from research can cause cortisol levels to rise,stress itself without exercise can cause that to happen as well. lots of things can cause your body not to lose weight and it doesnt always have to do with food or a medical issue. since she has pcos which Im sure is stress on her body overdoing the exercise can stress it even more.

I wasn't saying that it's impossible to overtrain. I was saying that the OP's listed current workouts don't qualify as "overdoing it" by any stretch of the imagination. Did you actually look at her current program, or are you trying to tell her what she wants to hear because it's also what you want to think?

Either way, I'm not debating the idea of training too much. My original post was quite clear.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Oh serenity now.

pcos_zpsoreuk3xk.png
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Oh serenity now.

pcos_zpsoreuk3xk.png

:D
    No need to blame Obama anymore!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey

Good grief...

I wasn't saying that it's impossible to overtrain. I was saying that the OP's listed current workouts don't qualify as "overdoing it" by any stretch of the imagination. Did you actually look at her current program, or are you trying to tell her what she wants to hear because it's also what you want to think?

Either way, I'm not debating the idea of training too much. My original post was quite clear.
    nope not telling her what she wasnts to hear. Its not what I think that is what happened to me. once I started upping my workouts I stopped losing weight. I was also weighing everything I ate(still do). I was losing weight before that and only exercising once a day. for me that was the problem,it was just a suggestion for her. what is her current program? she said she was weight training 4-5 days a week as well as doing other exercises. I didnt notice until a few posts ago that someone said she was overeating,if that is the case then yes, that would be why she isnt losing.yes,for most the more you move and the less you eat you should lose weight,but it doesnt work like that for everyone. I was not overeating either.Before I came to MFP and didnt count calories I still lost some weight.but then I started to overeat and gained some weight about a year later so I decided it was time to count calories.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    ...all I lost was 14 pounds in a MONTH!!

That is very VERY good. Most people can't even gain that much weight in a month! And the fact is, people usually gain weight steadily over years and then want everything to drop off in 3 months. That might work for a few, and those are the stories that get the most popularity on TV shows and in these forums, but realistically, if you can continually lose a few pounds a week (give or take) you are doing well.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    I cnat see why you need to see her diary because its just going to confirm what everyone else is thinking anyway.
    Friend some people with pcos and get them to look, that way you cna control it and feel less threatened.

It boils down to the thread from this morning, eating more than you think and burning less. Maube the OP will learn and reforumlate her weight loss plan to make it more realistic and more effective.

I don't need to. I think it might be helpful. I've seen lots of examples on here of OPs getting help they need by opening their diary.
    Why - it will eliminate any questions of logging or identify possible issues.
    When I am looking at why I'm not losing weight first question is - how is my logging. A diary is a quick answer. I realize in the end only the OP will know if she is really logging anything but if there are days worth of food consistently logged there likely isn't a huge problem. If there are problems with logging, it will help identify them.
    And with PCOS, people may be able to suggest changes to her diet that could help.
    The next question is am I eating the right amount of calories. The diary also answers that.

The suggestion of friending people and asking them serves the same purpose and it's a good suggestion if she isn't comfortable opening it up here.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices. She doesn't necessarily need therapy. She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices. She doesn't necessarily need therapy. She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!

99% of the time when OP's open their diary, we find that is the problem, I believe that is the case here and yes I will ask to have the their diaries open because I can ;) !! Not wanting to open proves it more. JS :D
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »

99% of the time when OP's open their diary, we find that is the problem, I believe that is the case here and yes I will ask to have the their diaries open because I can ;) !! Not wanting to open proves it more. JS :D

She lost 14 lbs in a month. There isn't a problem.