Not burning calories even though working out at 80% of max heart rate!!! HELP!!!

123457»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices. She doesn't necessarily need therapy. She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!

99% of the time when OP's open their diary, we find that is the problem, I believe that is the case here and yes I will ask to have the their diaries open because I can ;) !! Not wanting to open proves it more. JS :D

She lost 14 lbs in a month. There isn't a problem.

From what I understand that was while she was in an immersive bootcamp for which she paid 10,000 pounds to take part. Since leaving and not having the immersive program, she has stalled. Although I still can't figure out exactly how much she is eating or exercising.

My guess is the lack of weight loss is a combination of underestimating calories consumed and overestimating calories burned.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    I do... but you have to take a real HARD look at your diary. It's NOT always calories in, calories out
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices. She doesn't necessarily need therapy. She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!

99% of the time when OP's open their diary, we find that is the problem, I believe that is the case here and yes I will ask to have the their diaries open because I can ;) !! Not wanting to open proves it more. JS :D

If you read her OP she said that happen 3 summers ago, now she says she can only eat 1000 calories and if she tried eating 1200 calories she gains that's the problem, plus burn calories are to high so yes the diary needs to be open in order to help her out.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    vorgas wrote: »
    Personally, any place that set goals based on a HRM being worn 12 hours a day is a place I would avoid. They are clearly idiots. Any goals they may have set are totally arbitrary and meaningless. Ignore them. Look to your own results, as others have said.

This. Those things aren't meant to be worn all day long.

• Serah87
    Phildog47 wrote: »
    I do... but you have to take a real HARD look at your diary. It's NOT always calories in, calories out

Yes it is, cause you know......science!!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member

If you read her OP she said that happen 3 summers ago, now she says she can only eat 1000 calories and if she tried eating 1200 calories she gains that's the problem, plus burn calories are to high so yes the diary needs to be open in order to help her out.

Yes, I see the 1000/1200 comment further in the thread. I get why everyone wants to help, but she's made it clear that the food side is not something she wants to discuss/question. She got her answer about the calorie burn and I'm sure she knows she now has a room full of us who are here to help on the food side if/when she wants that help. Nothing left to say until she wants that, if she ever does.
  • Serah87

Yes, I see the 1000/1200 comment further in the thread. I get why everyone wants to help, but she's made it clear that the food side is not something she wants to discuss/question. She got her answer about the calorie burn and I'm sure she knows she now has a room full of us who are here to help on the food side if/when she wants that help. Nothing left to say until she wants that, if she ever does.

This is open forum if people want to offer advice they can with/without your say so.

Done. ;)
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Of course, but OP has politely declined the advice several times in this thread. Time to let it go peeps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices.

I think the discussion has indicated that the originator doesn't have a good understanding of the principles of weight loss and exercise, so in many ways whilst the original question has been answered, there is quite a lot of potential value in having more discussion around food choices. As indicated, that may just be some friends or it could be made fully public.

I can understand the concern around making it fully public. Some of the judgemental nonsense I've seen on the boards is enough that I limit mine to friends only.
    She doesn't necessarily need therapy.

I've noticed that it's something that is wheeled out as a frequent remedy on here. I find that in itself interesting, as it would tend to support the pervasive issues around body image that are reported on elsewhere. That said, I'd agree. Therapy isn't the answer, and PCOS isn't the problem. The problem is finding the right CICO balance.
    She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!

I fear that the answer hasn't landed, given the expression of feeling bullied. I don't see anything all that harsh here, but I'm a pretty robust Glaswegian.

I'd note that once we got some more detail the loss of 14lbs in a month appears to have been in the past, rather than recently. That would corroborate the assessment that PCOS isn't the problem, and it does demonstrate that it's perfectly possible to repeat something either similar or more sensible now.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    There is no way on earth that you are going to gain weight on 1200 calories per day unless you are very small. What are your height, weight, age, and activity level?
    I HAVE gained weight on 1200... It HAS happened to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How much did you gain over what time frame?
    I did it for 2 weeks with exercising 5 days a week and I gained 6 pounds. Dropped it down to 1000 and lost 4 pounds over 2 weeks with the same level of exercise.

Just a little info for you, OP: you gained the weight initially due to water retention. This usually happens when people add or significantly change their exercise routines. Then, that excess water was flushed out of your system.

Here's a little math, to hopefully show you what happened. Assuming you gained a "real" 6 lb over 2 weeks on 1200 Cals/day. That would mean you ate an excess of somwhere around 20,000 Calories. 14 days * 1200 Calories/day = 16,800 Calories. That's total - not even in surplus of your maintenance Calories - definitely not enough to gain 6 lb. As such, it's guaranteed that what you saw was the water weight retention mentioned above.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    It's NOT always calories in, calories out

I'd disagree. It IS ALWAYS CICO, but there are things that can influence both CI and CO. The physics isn't selective.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

What do you think it is besides CICO?

As already pointed out, there are things that can influence either CI or CO but it always comes down to which is larger for weight gain or loss.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    I want to do the best for myself I can and it's so soul destroying to be putting in so much effort and not seeing good results.

Thanks and apologies for the long message!!!!!

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not confident at all and 10 being very confident, how would you rate your ability to count calories from your diet accurately? So, for example do you weigh food or do you eye ball and guestimate, do you ever eat something and forget to log it, how many days have you spent consistently logging calories and so on.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your ability to count them well is probably lacking.
  • auddii
    msf74 wrote: »
    I want to do the best for myself I can and it's so soul destroying to be putting in so much effort and not seeing good results.

On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being not confident at all and 10 being very confident, how would you rate your ability to count calories from your diet accurately? So, for example do you weigh food or do you eye ball and guestimate, do you ever eat something and forget to log it, how many days have you spent consistently logging calories and so on.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your ability to count them well is probably lacking.

I believe somewhere the OP responded that she weighs everything.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    auddii wrote: »

Ta.

Without knowing her exact methods and how long she has been consistently logging for etc I don't think I would rule out the most obvious explanation.

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Of course, but OP has politely declined the advice several times in this thread. Time to let it go peeps.

Agreed.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Is there any way to see another doctor? To refuse to even test a common cause of these problems (underactive thyroid, very common in women and esp with pcos) is very lazy and unprofessional of them!
  • auddii
    auddii wrote: »

Ta.

Without knowing her exact methods and how long she has been consistently logging for etc I don't think I would rule out the most obvious explanation.

Oh don't worry, I definitely agree that she is miscalculating calories in, calories out, or both.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

The first time I saw her respond to the request was when I asked. No one has asked since.
    The ones dragging it out are the ones arguing she shouldn't have to.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    OP's question, although surrounded by lots of additional information, was simply why she can't seem to burn more than 300 calories an hour. This question was answered already (her interval style training reduced her overall mileage to such a small amount which results in a calorie burn equivalent to an easy walk). It isn't due to PCOS. No one needs to see her diary since she isn't asking about her food choices.

I think the discussion has indicated that the originator doesn't have a good understanding of the principles of weight loss and exercise, so in many ways whilst the original question has been answered, there is quite a lot of potential value in having more discussion around food choices. As indicated, that may just be some friends or it could be made fully public.

I can understand the concern around making it fully public. Some of the judgemental nonsense I've seen on the boards is enough that I limit mine to friends only.
    She doesn't necessarily need therapy.

I've noticed that it's something that is wheeled out as a frequent remedy on here. I find that in itself interesting, as it would tend to support the pervasive issues around body image that are reported on elsewhere. That said, I'd agree. Therapy isn't the answer, and PCOS isn't the problem. The problem is finding the right CICO balance.
    She got her answer and hopefully now realizes that what FEELS like a strenuous workout isn't necessarily a big calorie burn. She's lost 14 lbs in a month...I think she will do just fine!

I fear that the answer hasn't landed, given the expression of feeling bullied. I don't see anything all that harsh here, but I'm a pretty robust Glaswegian.

I'd note that once we got some more detail the loss of 14lbs in a month appears to have been in the past, rather than recently. That would corroborate the assessment that PCOS isn't the problem, and it does demonstrate that it's perfectly possible to repeat something either similar or more sensible now.

If OP takes anything away from this thread, it should be this ^^^^^^^^