How do I break up with chocolate?

Options

Replies

• s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You'll acquire the taste for 85% and then you are good to go. Trader Joes has some ridiculously awesome 85% bars that are cheap too. I eat them like....candy. :)

No problems, just dont hork down 2-3 bars a day.
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I feel you sister, I really do... Me and chocolate having a long standing relationship... UGH.. If you guys figure it out, let me know because my brain says no and my saliva glands say YES......
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat chocolate all the time. I like the 72% with a glass of red wine. It's possible that craving chocolate could be caused by a magnesium deficiency. I don't think that's been proven but some people have said supplementing magnesium or being sure to include more magnesium rich foods [ http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75 ] has helped.
  • orange_you_glad
    orange_you_glad Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a little drastic, but try giving up sugar completely for a while. I did this back in January, along with most carbs. It took a couple weeks for my body to adjust, and now I'm back to eating some carbs, but my sweet tooth isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. I do still eat chocolate (my nutritionist gives me 250 "pleasure calories" each day), but I find that a smaller amount is way more satisfying. Eating chocolate (or anything with sugar in it) after a meal also helps stop further cravings, since you don't get the blood sugar spike.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you need to make friends with chocolate. Not an obsessive mutually destructive relationship (think M&M's at the movies), but something reasonable and satisfying for both. I like a few Brookside chocolates in the evening.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice fudge bars = 80-100 calories a piece (they have two different serving sizes available). I haven't had the smaller, but the larger will sate the chocolate craving and are big enough to feel like a real treat.

I'm not knocking the "two or three squares of a bar" suggestion, but as a fellow choco-holic, that would only whet my appetite during certain times of the month. Inevitable binging would follow.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my friend. I can't break up with my friend. I just try to have just a little a day. My boss at work brought in these 70% dark cocoa chocolate squares. I found out they were 30 calories a square. Until they were gone (all to soon) those became my little bit of chocolate a day. I would nibble on the square to make it last longer.
  • Elle_Bronwyn15
    Elle_Bronwyn15 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Don't give up anything you like to eat completely....it wont last and you will be more likely to binge when you crave it.

Eat it as a treat and in small portions
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is a little drastic, but try giving up sugar completely for a while. I did this back in January, along with most carbs. It took a couple weeks for my body to adjust, and now I'm back to eating some carbs, but my sweet tooth isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. I do still eat chocolate (my nutritionist gives me 250 "pleasure calories" each day), but I find that a smaller amount is way more satisfying. Eating chocolate (or anything with sugar in it) after a meal also helps stop further cravings, since you don't get the blood sugar spike.

i second this. I gave up sugar AND all artificial sweeteners for several weeks, and my sweet tooth decreased dramatically. Now I sweeten with just a little bit of stevia, and 85% cocoa chocolate tastes divine!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    chocolate is fine. don't worry about it, so long as it fits in your calorie allotment
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You don't need to break it off clean. Just focus on your goals for a while but keep chocolate as a booty call.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a nightly date with my chocolate. I make room for approximately 200 calories of it every day.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    What I used to do when I was counting calories was keep a bag of unsweetened chocolate chips (they are plenty sweet on their own) in my freezer. When the craving hit, I would eat a measured tablespoon. Eat a few at a time. It helps! 2 tbsp are only 60 calories and aren't going to kill you ... or you could even keep a big hershey bar and break off a serving... I think it's 3 squares for like 100-200 calories or so.

Counting calories is about moderation. Having a little everyday will not harm your results unless you go overboard. I've found with me personally, the longer I stay away from something, the more I want to binge on it... vs. allowing it into my diet every now and then keeps those cravings at bay.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm going to try them all and see what works best for me!

Unfortunately this now means she's eating 5 bars a days of dark caocao...
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    You break up with it the same way tou break up with people: you stop all contact with it, you don't let it into your house, you eat other foods in a desperate but ultimately unsuccessful attempt to fill the void, and then you move on over time.

And once a year or so you hook up with it and vow never to do it again. Every. Year.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just eat it! I eat chocolate everyday
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I had to stop buying it because I had no self-control. I went 5-months with no chocolate while I slowly changed how I ate and gained a moderate amount of self-control. This past Monday I bough some, and I'm limiting myself to 2 squares a day, which is about 57 calories. 4 days in and it's going great. It might not work for everyone, but it's worth a try so you don't have to stop eating it forever.
  • genki90
    genki90 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You can just trick your mind into thinking it has all the chocolate it wants! You can add chocolate chips on your cereal in the morning or on top of a juicy fruit salad as a snack.
    This way your tummy will be full and you won't randomly attack the chocolate chips' bag devouring all of it's content :sunglasses:
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    All chocolate or just some kinds? I can drizzle chocolate syrup on my coffee, but don't bring M&M's into the house because I will eat them all.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    hersheys.com/pure-products/details.aspx?id=4809

Why would one give up chocolate if they want chocolate?

This is what I put in my first cup of coffee each day along with 5 tablespoons of coconut oil, 1-2 oz of heavy whipping cream and a 1/2 teaspoon of shilajit.