Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ccourcha wrote: »
    When I hear clean eating, I think of eating things that are considered whole and organic, raw veggies, meat without all the hormones (grass-fed beef for example), etc. I try not to eat anything that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.

That said, the above is where this has taken me. When I started, it was eat WTF ever I want, just it macros and stay at calorie deficit goal. This works. But it made me think more about what kinds of foods I was putting into my body, not just how much of it.

grass fed beef is not processed, really?

Not in the context you are asking about. Pretty sure there no preservatives or any other crap added to it right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    When I hear clean eating, I think of eating things that are considered whole and organic, raw veggies, meat without all the hormones (grass-fed beef for example), etc. I try not to eat anything that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.

That said, the above is where this has taken me. When I started, it was eat WTF ever I want, just it macros and stay at calorie deficit goal. This works. But it made me think more about what kinds of foods I was putting into my body, not just how much of it.

grass fed beef is not processed, really?

Not in the context you are asking about. Pretty sure there no preservatives or any other crap added to it right?

hmmm how does it make from the person processing it to the supermarket then and not go bad?

• ccourcha
    Options
    Cryovac? Are you serious?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Cryovac? Are you serious?

yes, I am asking you.

and grass fed beef is processed, so you are eating processed food.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'd really like to give this a go since my neighbor has been doing it. She has lost 15 pounds and 20 inches in 5 weeks. If I do this and get to goal could I slowly add in a few things I used to like as long as I stay at my maintaining calorie range? I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to eat out again or enjoy things at holidays with the family. I just wouldn't want to lose it all just to gain it all back if I'd slip into old habits if I felt I was always depriving myself. I need to lose at least 80 pounds but my goal is 100. Suggestions, opinions, and advise wanted! Thank you.
    mantium999 wrote: »
    [noknow="BabyPhat90713;32941336"]
    So, how do you guys define clean?
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

Expand please. Chips get their carbs from a vegetable, and fats from oils. How is this a bad carb?

It's not the potatoes at all, but the fat they are fried in. Even oven baked chips have some fat. Just yesterday the American FDA ordered all manufacturers of food and especially the snack food and baked goods industry to get rid of all Trans fats ( because the snack food and baked goods industry uses more Trans fats than anyone on the planet ) in food by no later than 2018, because they are not good for human consumption and have been connected to several health problems. Of course, I can very well imagine that many MFPers will say that the FDA is wrong and that they are right.
    There is no food that is intrinsically bad, but often the combinations or amounts we indulge in are not healthy.
    Here in Mexico fruit cocktails are very popular. There is nothing wrong with fruit ( usually papaya, pineapple, melon, grapes, strawberries and guavas). Many people like a cocktail " De Lux " that is a largish amount of fruit topped with flavored and sugar added yogurt, topped with comercial granola, topped with marshmallow fluff, topped with honey or chocolate syrup and then sprinkles......and people think it is healthy, because " hey, it's fruit " !
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Any studies supporting that claim?

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.

Lol if you say so. They are being rude about it though. They could say it without asking questions they know that I don't have answers for. But that's fine. You all can eat what I consider junk and I'll try to eat it in moderation. 80/20 alot seem to do great with.

They were trying to make you think about things, hence the questions. We've been spoon fed all this nonsense that this food is bad, that food is good, eat this carb, not that carb, it's all overly complicated bull shite. It's too bad because a lot of these people trying to help you are successful and you can't see past the "attacking/rude" posts.

I do appreciate people trying to help I would just prefer a nicer approach on it. I understand what they are trying to say and that's it's ok to occasionally eat sweets and not to deprive yyourself. I probably wouldn't have succeeded on what I consider clean eating anyway. But some comments could have been worded differently. But thank you anyway l for the knowledge. I am going to try my best. I want to be healthy for my little girl so that I can have the energy to keep up with her and to teach her healthier aging habits

As someone who was once an obsessive "clean eater", who labels themselves as being orthorexic during that time, I would seriously recommend learning and understanding how to live in moderation, with a healthy relationship with food and no negative food associations. There is more to health than what you put in your mouth, and your daughter will learn more about "healthy" eating habits from a mum who isn't stuck in a good/bad food rut.

Leave teaching my daughter up to me. I will learn little by little. She loves fruits and veggies and rarely eats bread. She pretty much already picks what I consider healthy for a 2 year old. I'm not to strict on what she eats. But I do think having some veggies and fruits is a need

When did I say she doesn't need fruit and vegetables? When did I say she should be fed chips and icecream everyday?

I probably eat more fruit and vegies a day than your family put together, because I know how important they are for good health. But, I also allow myself less nutritious food when I want it, and don't get the guilts, or think anything is "bad". To me, that is a healthy relationship with food.

I have seen kids of strict "clean eating" parents go nuts at parties and glue themselves to the food table devouring everything in sight because they've been deprived and not taught moderation. It's sad! Other kids will eat a few things then not be bothered anymore.

• ccourcha
    Options
    It is slaughtered, cryovac'd and flash frozen. The slaughter and butchering is a process, yes, but nothing is added during that unless "certified organic" is a meaningless label companies are allowed to label their food with per FDA.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    "Clean is for underwear, not for food."
  • ccourcha
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    "Clean is for underwear, not for food."

This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it? haha, link says that.

I did manage to navigate to what I think you were trying to post. Its an op-ed, like the rest of what is contained in this thread.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My Lays Potato Chips do not contain trans fat.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.

I'm a paralegal and one of the attorneys I work for always uses the Socratic method when he's trying to explain something. It can be annoying as hell, but I have to admit, I learn a lot. ;)

As for the rest of this thread....I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen people interpret, "you can eat chips and ice cream if you want", as "you can eat chips and ice cream all day every day". I'd be filthy rich. As opposed to clean rich. :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    These threads make me watch to punch puppies. It should have ended after ndj1979's first post.
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.

Lol if you say so. They are being rude about it though. They could say it without asking questions they know that I don't have answers for. But that's fine. You all can eat what I consider junk and I'll try to eat it in moderation. 80/20 alot seem to do great with.

They were trying to make you think about things, hence the questions. We've been spoon fed all this nonsense that this food is bad, that food is good, eat this carb, not that carb, it's all overly complicated bull shite. It's too bad because a lot of these people trying to help you are successful and you can't see past the "attacking/rude" posts.

I do appreciate people trying to help I would just prefer a nicer approach on it. I understand what they are trying to say and that's it's ok to occasionally eat sweets and not to deprive yyourself. I probably wouldn't have succeeded on what I consider clean eating anyway. But some comments could have been worded differently. But thank you anyway l for the knowledge. I am going to try my best. I want to be healthy for my little girl so that I can have the energy to keep up with her and to teach her healthier aging habits

As someone who was once an obsessive "clean eater", who labels themselves as being orthorexic during that time, I would seriously recommend learning and understanding how to live in moderation, with a healthy relationship with food and no negative food associations. There is more to health than what you put in your mouth, and your daughter will learn more about "healthy" eating habits from a mum who isn't stuck in a good/bad food rut.

Leave teaching my daughter up to me. I will learn little by little. She loves fruits and veggies and rarely eats bread. She pretty much already picks what I consider healthy for a 2 year old. I'm not to strict on what she eats. But I do think having some veggies and fruits is a need

When did I say she doesn't need fruit and vegetables? When did I say she should be fed chips and icecream everyday?

I probably eat more fruit and vegies a day than your family put together, because I know how important they are for good health. But, I also allow myself less nutritious food when I want it, and don't get the guilts, or think anything is "bad". To me, that is a healthy relationship with food.

I have seen kids of strict "clean eating" parents go nuts at parties and glue themselves to the food table devouring everything in sight because they've been deprived and not taught moderation. It's sad! Other kids will eat a few things then not be bothered anymore.

She is definitely not on a diet of any sort. She eats what she wants. She just tends to want the healthier stuff. She doesn't overeat at parties or anything. She is not deprived of food she wants. And I don't know if you'd have Peyton beat. She loves her fruit. And so does mum. I get my fruit in no problem. It's just leaving the junk out. I'm an icecream lover. And I'm sorry if I got a little defensive, I've just been repeatedly asked questions people obviously knew answers to and I was already a little upset. Again I apologize. I'm just trying to learn like everyone else and want better eating habits.
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.

I'm a paralegal and one of the attorneys I work for always uses the Socratic method when he's trying to explain something. It can be annoying as hell, but I have to admit, I learn a lot. ;)

As for the rest of this thread....I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen people interpret, "you can eat chips and ice cream if you want", as "you can eat chips and ice cream all day every day". I'd be filthy rich. As opposed to clean rich. :)

I didn't interpret It as that wise one lol. I knew what they were saying. You all just like to side with each other to make yourselves feel like experts. Well your not. You just found what works for you. I'm working on that for myself. I just think the less icecream the better chance you'll lose. Not saying you can't lose if you did eat that. I have lost 22 pounds in 3 months just by eating whatever I want under my calorie range. I'm just wanting a faster weight loss. And to eat healthier....key word HEALTHIER. The last thing I expected when putting this forum up was people telling me eating crap is ok. Usually I see the opposite. Yes I will continue to allow myself to STUFF my face with yummy icecream, cupcakes, and delicious snack cakes....but less often. I believe everyone is saying good information based off what worked for them but then again I only asked for advise. Didn't say I would take it. I value anyones opinion but things don't have to turn into a huge debate. People can be nicer in how they give advise
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

No, not really. Carbohydrates are a broad class of molecules ranging from monosaccharides to long polysaccharides and oligosaccharides. Some can be used by the body directly, some require enzymatic or bacterial assistance, and some are indigestible. From a nutrition perspective, however, they are treated the same.

• BabyPhat90713
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    These threads make me watch to punch puppies. It should have ended after ndj1979's first post.

Then go punch a puppy or don't read the forum. Which ever works for you
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Then go punch a puppy or don't read the forum. Which ever works for you

I only punch clean puppies. Do you have one handy?
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

I didn't interpret It as that wise one lol. I knew what they were saying. You all just like to side with each other to make yourselves feel like experts. Well your not. You just found what works for you. I'm working on that for myself. I just think the less icecream the better chance you'll lose. Not saying you can't lose if you did eat that. I have lost 22 pounds in 3 months just by eating whatever I want under my calorie range. I'm just wanting a faster weight loss. And to eat healthier....key word HEALTHIER. The last thing I expected when putting this forum up was people telling me eating crap is ok. Usually I see the opposite. Yes I will continue to allow myself to STUFF my face with yummy icecream, cupcakes, and delicious snack cakes....but less often. I believe everyone is saying good information based off what worked for them but then again I only asked for advise. Didn't say I would take it. I value anyones opinion but things don't have to turn into a huge debate. People can be nicer in how they give advise

Are you saying people who eat snacks are unhealthy? I resent people calling foods I love "crap." There's nothing bad about them, and no one can convince me otherwise.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

She is definitely not on a diet of any sort. She eats what she wants. She just tends to want the healthier stuff. She doesn't overeat at parties or anything. She is not deprived of food she wants. And I don't know if you'd have Peyton beat. She loves her fruit. And so does mum. I get my fruit in no problem. It's just leaving the junk out. I'm an icecream lover. And I'm sorry if I got a little defensive, I've just been repeatedly asked questions people obviously knew answers to and I was already a little upset. Again I apologize. I'm just trying to learn like everyone else and want better eating habits.

I'm meaning more that she will observe and learn by example... Your relationship with food will influence her!
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options

Are you saying people who eat snacks are unhealthy? I resent people calling foods I love "crap." There's nothing bad about them, and no one can convin

Think what you want. Everyone has a right to their opinions including you. I like CRAP too :smile: And no I'm not saying that makes you necessarily Unhealthy but my opinion is that Junk food is unhealthy. Not that the person eating it has to be unhealthy. Obviously everyone thinks different when it comes to eating. Just stating an opinion just like you did.
This discussion has been closed.