Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So, how do you guys define clean?
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Any studies supporting that claim?

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

no one is antagonizing her…we are bring to cut through all the bro and pseudo science she has been fed and give her real information that will read to long term success….

all clean eating is doing to do is make OP miserable and then she is going to post how she can't seem to eat 1200 calories and is miserable all day...

I was specifically talking about IsaackGMOON antagonizing her, not everybody. Asking her questions he knows she can't answer in a condescending way is unnecessary and rude. I'm all for people giving her solid advice, whether she wants to hear it or not, but being mean is just stupid.
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Seems like some people have their minds made up and just want to argue for the sake of arguing. Just eat whatever you want. If you want to subsist on potato chips and ice cream, go for it. It does not make a difference for others here.

But if you claim that potato chips are the same as a baked potato or that Ben and Jerry's Cherries Garcia count as a fruit, sorry, but you are being willfully ignorant.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

How do you know? If you are giving advice based on personal assumtions, how does that help anyone?

I am the one basically asking for help in this topic so obviously I am not an expert. Just trying to help. So I'm done talking about good and bad carbs. Just wanted advice on clean eating. Potato chips is not clean eating. I guess we all have different opinions on carbs. So good luck to you both on your journeys

Being open to information will help you. Seeking validation for misguided beliefs toward food will make it more complicated. Essentially, get your nutrients in, hit your calorie target, with a good blend of macros, and you will succeed. Eating "clean" is not a requirement, as "clean" can't be defined.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

no one is antagonizing her…we are bring to cut through all the bro and pseudo science she has been fed and give her real information that will read to long term success….

all clean eating is doing to do is make OP miserable and then she is going to post how she can't seem to eat 1200 calories and is miserable all day...

I was specifically talking about IsaackGMOON antagonizing her, not everybody. Asking her questions he knows she can't answer in a condescending way is unnecessary and rude. I'm all for people giving her solid advice, whether she wants to hear it or not, but being mean is just stupid.

I was trying to get OP to realise what she was saying and re-*kitten* the points of 'good carbs' and 'bad carbs'.

If you feel I was antagonizing her, give it a flag if you think it's necessary. But ok, keep thinking how you're thinking. Because I ask questions which I know don't have any scientific evidence which will validate them, I am antagonizing her?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

What?
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP - you'll lose weight by eating at a deficit. That being said, I eat clean about 80% of the time. I do treat myself, but I try to buy "healthier" junk food lol. I stopped consuming highly processed foods all together, but allow myself organic dark chocolate. I also eat out once a month - the restaurant we go to serves whole foods so I don't feel too bad about it. The bigger benefits I have experienced from eating primarily whole foods is that I have more energy. I used to have terrible depression and anxiety- and both are nearly gone (I have mild bouts every now and then that may last half a day). My hair, nails, and skin look so much better than they did, and my hair and nails grow quicker. My health has improved - my cholesterol is under 100 and my blood pressure is around 90/60. In the few years I've been eating this way I haven't gotten sick even though people close to me have. I also hvent needed medication in a year. I slowly weaned myself off of what I was taken and found I no longer need it. I've also seen the effects of this dietary change on my husband. When we first met his cholesterol was over 200, and now it's literally 80 (he just got a test done this week). He was never overweight but he is a smoker, and 20 years my senior, so I'm excited about his results. We try to juice kale, spinach, arugula, shard, and pineapple every morning, and also snack on nuts and fresh fruit - though I have chocolate before bed. Just wanted to share my experience with is as there are so many conflicting reports. Clean eating isn't necessary for weight loss, but there are benefits from doing it.

Good luck in your endeavors!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

So you only want advice condoning your plan. Well you should have specified that in your OP.
    Lol. That's all.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

No one had said to base your diet around such things. Everyone is trying to help you understand that they can fit and be part of your objective.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    i try for 80/20 or 75/25 lol

cuz......life

and cookies, cakes, peanutbutter, bbq's..........

Peanut butter - so good.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you didn't drop it on the floor, it's still clean for the "Five Second Rule".
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP I just finished eating some delicious ice cream, :D
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

OP, nobody told you to stuff your face with chips and ice cream. All they are saying is that if you stick to your calorie goal having some chips on Tuesday and a bowl of ice cream on Sunday is perfectly fine. Trying to force yourself to abide by some arbitrary "clean" eating rules isn't necessary. If you want to make specific choices about food for your health, then go for it, but you don't have to eat "clean" to lose weight. Just do the best you can, all you have to do is stay under your calorie goal to lose weight. So many people give up because they over-complicate things. We just don't want you to make it harder than it needs to be. Good luck :)
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    OP - you'll lose weight by eating at a deficit. That being said, I eat clean about 80% of the time. I do treat myself, but I try to buy "healthier" junk food lol. I stopped consuming highly processed foods all together, but allow myself organic dark chocolate. I also eat out once a month - the restaurant we go to serves whole foods so I don't feel too bad about it. The bigger benefits I have experienced from eating primarily whole foods is that I have more energy. I used to have terrible depression and anxiety- and both are nearly gone (I have mild bouts every now and then that may last half a day). My hair, nails, and skin look so much better than they did, and my hair and nails grow quicker. My health has improved - my cholesterol is under 100 and my blood pressure is around 90/60. In the few years I've been eating this way I haven't gotten sick even though people close to me have. I also hvent needed medication in a year. I slowly weaned myself off of what I was taken and found I no longer need it. I've also seen the effects of this dietary change on my husband. When we first met his cholesterol was over 200, and now it's literally 80 (he just got a test done this week). He was never overweight but he is a smoker, and 20 years my senior, so I'm excited about his results. We try to juice kale, spinach, arugula, shard, and pineapple every morning, and also snack on nuts and fresh fruit - though I have chocolate before bed. Just wanted to share my experience with is as there are so many conflicting reports. Clean eating isn't necessary for weight loss, but there are benefits from doing it.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Thanks. This sounds very rewarding. I think the 80/20 rule is reasonable
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341bf7cb53ef0133ef5dfdc2970b-pi.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

who in this thread told you to stuff your face with chips and ice cream????

what we said is that you should eat nutrient dense foods and then fill in with treats you like.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    6a00d8341bf7cb53ef0133ef5dfdc2970b-pi.jpg

Oh dear. lol.
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

What is a bad carb?

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.

Lol if you say so. They are being rude about it though. They could say it without asking questions they know that I don't have answers for. But that's fine. You all can eat what I consider junk and I'll try to eat it in moderation. 80/20 alot seem to do great with.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

No one has told you to stuff your face with chips and icecream. People have tried to explain that these things aren't "bad" and can be part of a normal diet (where you lose weight if that's the plan) and that you don't need to restrict them unnecessarily. Sure, you should eat nutrient dense foods most of the time, but there is nothing wrong with including chips, chocolate, icecream etc. if you've already got lots of nutrient dense foods that day and still have calories left, include what you like, don't be restricted by rules that can't even be defined properly.
This discussion has been closed.