Serah87 wrote: »
    OP I just finished eating some delicious ice cream, :D

Good for you :smiley: didn't say anyone couldn't lol
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So, how do you guys define clean?
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Any studies supporting that claim?

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

OP, nobody told you to stuff your face with chips and ice cream. All they are saying is that if you stick to your calorie goal having some chips on Tuesday and a bowl of ice cream on Sunday is perfectly fine. Trying to force yourself to abide by some arbitrary "clean" eating rules isn't necessary. If you want to make specific choices about food for your health, then go for it, but you don't have to eat "clean" to lose weight. Just do the best you can, all you have to do is stay under your calorie goal to lose weight. So many people give up because they over-complicate things. We just don't want you to make it harder than it needs to be. Good luck :)

Thanks
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Why are you antagonizing her? She's simply trying to begin her weight loss journey and trying to learn what she can about food and nutrition.

Thank you. I feel like I'm being attacked. I never claimed to be an expert. I just want advice. I just don't think stuffing my face with chips and icecream is what they should be telling me

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.

Lol if you say so. They are being rude about it though. They could say it without asking questions they know that I don't have answers for. But that's fine. You all can eat what I consider junk and I'll try to eat it in moderation. 80/20 alot seem to do great with.

They were trying to make you think about things, hence the questions. We've been spoon fed all this nonsense that this food is bad, that food is good, eat this carb, not that carb, it's all overly complicated bull shite. It's too bad because a lot of these people trying to help you are successful and you can't see past the "attacking/rude" posts.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I lost 121 pounds eating those things and I am in excellent health, now been maintaining for almost 9 months.;)

ETA: OP you are not being attacked, lol, People are giving you advice, the very thing you ask for.

Lol if you say so. They are being rude about it though. They could say it without asking questions they know that I don't have answers for. But that's fine. You all can eat what I consider junk and I'll try to eat it in moderation. 80/20 alot seem to do great with.

All I asked for, was a piece of evidence to support your claim. That is all.
    Any evidence to support that claim?

I'm sorry if you're offended by this OP.
    OdesAngel wrote: »

What is a bad carb?

They were trying to make you think about things, hence the questions. We've been spoon fed all this nonsense that this food is bad, that food is good, eat this carb, not that carb, it's all overly complicated bull shite. It's too bad because a lot of these people trying to help you are successful and you can't see past the "attacking/rude" posts.

Thank you. That was the motive of my questions, because there was a major fault in the idea of bad carbs and what not.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

What is a bad carb?

no one is antagonizing her…we are bring to cut through all the bro and pseudo science she has been fed and give her real information that will read to long term success….

all clean eating is doing to do is make OP miserable and then she is going to post how she can't seem to eat 1200 calories and is miserable all day...

I was specifically talking about IsaackGMOON antagonizing her, not everybody. Asking her questions he knows she can't answer in a condescending way is unnecessary and rude. I'm all for people giving her solid advice, whether she wants to hear it or not, but being mean is just stupid.

its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

no one is antagonizing her…we are bring to cut through all the bro and pseudo science she has been fed and give her real information that will read to long term success….

all clean eating is doing to do is make OP miserable and then she is going to post how she can't seem to eat 1200 calories and is miserable all day...

I was specifically talking about IsaackGMOON antagonizing her, not everybody. Asking her questions he knows she can't answer in a condescending way is unnecessary and rude. I'm all for people giving her solid advice, whether she wants to hear it or not, but being mean is just stupid.

its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.

I've never heard of this method, didn't know I was using it lol. Learn something new every day huh? :D
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I do appreciate people trying to help I would just prefer a nicer approach on it. I understand what they are trying to say and that's it's ok to occasionally eat sweets and not to deprive yyourself. I probably wouldn't have succeeded on what I consider clean eating anyway. But some comments could have been worded differently. But thank you anyway l for the knowledge. I am going to try my best. I want to be healthy for my little girl so that I can have the energy to keep up with her and to teach her healthier aging habits
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I guess my question for you since you seem to know it all is how fast are you losing weight if you are eating all of this?

Fast weight loss is not sustainable and more likely to gain all of it back plus some. Slow and steady is what you want to do. It took me 2 years and 9 months to lose the weight, in the past I would lose weight fast to only gain it back and some.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options

To be fair, that's not what they're telling you. What they've said is that you can include these things as long as it fits your calories and macro targets.

What that means in real terms is that if you eat lots of potato chips and ice cream, you'll have high calorie foods that often carry lots of fat and sugar. The high calories mean you'll hit your calorie limit quickly if you over indulge, and the high sugar and fat will get you hitting your macro limits pretty quickly.

So in practice, watching your calories and macros will inherently limit the amount of these things you eat. The reason they're "bad" is that if you eat the same volume of them as you would eat of a healthier option, you have more calories, fat and sugar but you're no more full, so you'll get hungry again later, but not have the calorie limit to indulge. But if you eat them in moderation and keep under your limits by balancing them with less calorie dense foods, you'll be able to enjoy them and not cut them out completely.

They're not inherently bad. They're bad bad because they make it more challenging to maintain a balanced diet within your calorie limit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I've never heard of this method, didn't know I was using it lol. Learn something new every day huh? :D

LOL, I am a wealth of useless knowledge
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

What is a bad carb?

LOL, I am a wealth of useless knowledge

Well I guess this Socratic method, it's pretty darn good
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

The purpose of asking questions that can't be answered is to guide a person toward self realization. One is less likely to change a thought because a random internet person said so, but by causing you to question preestablished beliefs could open your mind to further exploration by creating a doubt in that which you thought to be true.
  • emmaps55
    emmaps55 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat whatever gives you energy, makes you feel good, doesn't make you struggle with hunger or cravings. I cut out grains because they make me bloat and feel terrible, others feel great on them. I cut out processed foods because they seem to make me crave more and more, and it's easier for me to not have any than to have just a little. Everyone's different. It's better for me not to buy stuff than to have to struggle with limiting myself to a small serving -- ie, I don't buy salt-and-pepper pistachios, even though they're relatively healthy, because they're too calorie-dense for the amount I get to eat, and I struggle constantly with wanting to eat too much. Easier to not have them around. Easier to keep to a good calorie level, while still having enough energy to exercise/hike.

I have not, however, told myself I "can't" have something, because that is guaranteed to make me want it! I DO tell myself, "I would rather choose something healthier for me."

When my boyfriend/partner suggests I eat something I really would like to eat but I don't feel is good for me, I tell him, "I'll have that next year!" Works for me.

Find out what works for you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I do appreciate people trying to help I would just prefer a nicer approach on it. I understand what they are trying to say and that's it's ok to occasionally eat sweets and not to deprive yyourself. I probably wouldn't have succeeded on what I consider clean eating anyway. But some comments could have been worded differently. But thank you anyway l for the knowledge. I am going to try my best. I want to be healthy for my little girl so that I can have the energy to keep up with her and to teach her healthier aging habits

As someone who was once an obsessive "clean eater", who labels themselves as being orthorexic during that time, I would seriously recommend learning and understanding how to live in moderation, with a healthy relationship with food and no negative food associations. There is more to health than what you put in your mouth, and your daughter will learn more about "healthy" eating habits from a mum who isn't stuck in a good/bad food rut.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    This is an informative debate about what constitutes "clean" food. I feel perfectly fine about fitting 28 grams (160 calories) of potato chips into my eating a few times a week. And ice cream, chocolate, red wine, and other items that are sometimes described as "bad." Eating this way has allowed me to work this program for almost three years without being one of the unfortunate members who are always posting about starting over.
  • ccourcha
    ccourcha Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    When I hear clean eating, I think of eating things that are considered whole and organic, raw veggies, meat without all the hormones (grass-fed beef for example), etc. I try not to eat anything that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.

That said, the above is where this has taken me. When I started, it was eat WTF ever I want, just it macros and stay at calorie deficit goal. This works. But it made me think more about what kinds of foods I was putting into my body, not just how much of it.
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options
    emmaps55 wrote: »
    I'd say eat whatever gives you energy, makes you feel good, doesn't make you struggle with hunger or cravings. I cut out grains because they make me bloat and feel terrible, others feel great on them. I cut out processed foods because they seem to make me crave more and more, and it's easier for me to not have any than to have just a little. Everyone's different. It's better for me not to buy stuff than to have to struggle with limiting myself to a small serving -- ie, I don't buy salt-and-pepper pistachios, even though they're relatively healthy, because they're too calorie-dense for the amount I get to eat, and I struggle constantly with wanting to eat too much. Easier to not have them around. Easier to keep to a good calorie level, while still having enough energy to exercise/hike.

I have not, however, told myself I "can't" have something, because that is guaranteed to make me want it! I DO tell myself, "I would rather choose something healthier for me."

When my boyfriend/partner suggests I eat something I really would like to eat but I don't feel is good for me, I tell him, "I'll have that next year!" Works for me.

Find out what works for you.

Thanks for this insight. I'm also one who prefers to eat more than one serving of something. The sad thing is I followed weight watchers back in 2010 and lost 53 pounds. Then I got pregnant and used it as an excuse to eat what I wanted. I knew it wasn't right but I told myself I'd lose it after. She is now almost two and I still am struggling. I have lost 22 pounds so far just watching my calories but I still want to lose another 80
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »
    When I hear clean eating, I think of eating things that are considered whole and organic, raw veggies, meat without all the hormones (grass-fed beef for example), etc. I try not to eat anything that is processed and comes in a package or wrapper, or has any ingredient that sounds scientific.

That said, the above is where this has taken me. When I started, it was eat WTF ever I want, just it macros and stay at calorie deficit goal. This works. But it made me think more about what kinds of foods I was putting into my body, not just how much of it.

grass fed beef is not processed, really?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    ccourcha wrote: »

H20 sounds pretty scientific to me....
  • BabyPhat90713
    Options

What is a bad carb?

As someone who was once an obsessive "clean eater", who labels themselves as being orthorexic during that time, I would seriously recommend learning and understanding how to live in moderation, with a healthy relationship with food and no negative food associations. There is more to health than what you put in your mouth, and your daughter will learn more about "healthy" eating habits from a mum who isn't stuck in a good/bad food rut.

Leave teaching my daughter up to me. I will learn little by little. She loves fruits and veggies and rarely eats bread. She pretty much already picks what I consider healthy for a 2 year old. I'm not to strict on what she eats. But I do think having some veggies and fruits is a need
This discussion has been closed.