Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP I think you should be commended on wanting to follow a healthier approach to eating. As it is not an easy thing to do!

Yes, you can still eat icecream and chips etc, but my eyes bug out when i read people saying they still indulge in these things, but they stick to a serving such as 26g of chips or 45g of icecream :open_mouth: wtf!
    Eating so little of those things would be pointless for me, as it just wouldn't satisfy me. I'd rather abstain altogether. I just do not have the willpower to have just 2 squares of chocolate or 8.1 chips. Kudos to those who can stick to this, i just can't. All or nothing for me :disappointed:

Every single person here know what a poster means when they say "clean eating". It just seems to bring out the argumentative side in people.
    Do what works for you, and if it doesn't then tweak it til it does :smiley:
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.

I'm a paralegal and one of the attorneys I work for always uses the Socratic method when he's trying to explain something. It can be annoying as hell, but I have to admit, I learn a lot. ;)

As for the rest of this thread....I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen people interpret, "you can eat chips and ice cream if you want", as "you can eat chips and ice cream all day every day". I'd be filthy rich. As opposed to clean rich. :)

I didn't interpret It as that wise one lol. I knew what they were saying. You all just like to side with each other to make yourselves feel like experts. Well your not. You just found what works for you. I'm working on that for myself. I just think the less icecream the better chance you'll lose. Not saying you can't lose if you did eat that. I have lost 22 pounds in 3 months just by eating whatever I want under my calorie range. I'm just wanting a faster weight loss. And to eat healthier....key word HEALTHIER. The last thing I expected when putting this forum up was people telling me eating crap is ok. Usually I see the opposite. Yes I will continue to allow myself to STUFF my face with yummy icecream, cupcakes, and delicious snack cakes....but less often. I believe everyone is saying good information based off what worked for them but then again I only asked for advise. Didn't say I would take it. I value anyones opinion but things don't have to turn into a huge debate. People can be nicer in how they give advise

Are you saying people who eat snacks are unhealthy? I resent people calling foods I love "crap." There's nothing bad about them, and no one can convince me otherwise.

And where do you see anywhere on there that I said people who eat sweets is unhealthy. I just said I'd like to eat healthier. Not that people who eat it are unhealthy. And I also seem to recall me saying I love them also. Sometimes I think you guys like arguing for the sake of it. I'm done for tonight and will try what I think is best. Good luck to you all on your journeys. I wish you all the best of luck. Thought we were all on here to support each other...not attack and try to belittle and make people feel stupid for their beliefs.
  • BabyPhat90713
    BabyPhat90713 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OP I think you should be commended on wanting to follow a healthier approach to eating. As it is not an easy thing to do!

Yes, you can still eat icecream and chips etc, but my eyes bug out when i read people saying they still indulge in these things, but they stick to a serving such as 26g of chips or 45g of icecream :open_mouth: wtf!
    Eating so little of those things would be pointless for me, as it just wouldn't satisfy me. I'd rather abstain altogether. I just do not have the willpower to have just 2 squares of chocolate or 8.1 chips. Kudos to those who can stick to this, i just can't. All or nothing for me :disappointed:

Every single person here know what a poster means when they say "clean eating". It just seems to bring out the argumentative side in people.
    Do what works for you, and if it doesn't then tweak it til it does :smiley:

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    its called the socratic method. you ask someone questions to draw out the answers from them and hopefully in the process educate them as to why their thinking is not correct.

I'm a paralegal and one of the attorneys I work for always uses the Socratic method when he's trying to explain something. It can be annoying as hell, but I have to admit, I learn a lot. ;)

As for the rest of this thread....I wish I had a dime for every time I've seen people interpret, "you can eat chips and ice cream if you want", as "you can eat chips and ice cream all day every day". I'd be filthy rich. As opposed to clean rich. :)

I didn't interpret It as that wise one lol. I knew what they were saying. You all just like to side with each other to make yourselves feel like experts. Well your not. You just found what works for you. I'm working on that for myself. I just think the less icecream the better chance you'll lose. Not saying you can't lose if you did eat that. I have lost 22 pounds in 3 months just by eating whatever I want under my calorie range. I'm just wanting a faster weight loss. And to eat healthier....key word HEALTHIER. The last thing I expected when putting this forum up was people telling me eating crap is ok. Usually I see the opposite. Yes I will continue to allow myself to STUFF my face with yummy icecream, cupcakes, and delicious snack cakes....but less often. I believe everyone is saying good information based off what worked for them but then again I only asked for advise. Didn't say I would take it. I value anyones opinion but things don't have to turn into a huge debate. People can be nicer in how they give advise

Ice cream is not crap...it's fat protein and carbs all three macronutrients....

I eat ice cream daily and my blood work is nearly perfect every year at my physical....
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Are you saying people who eat snacks are unhealthy? I resent people calling foods I love "crap." There's nothing bad about them, and no one can convince me otherwise.

And where do you see anywhere on there that I said people who eat sweets is unhealthy. I just said I'd like to eat healthier. Not that people who eat it are unhealthy. And I also seem to recall me saying I love them also. Sometimes I think you guys like arguing for the sake of it. I'm done for tonight and will try what I think is best. Good luck to you all on your journeys. I wish you all the best of luck. Thought we were all on here to support each other...not attack and try to belittle and make people feel stupid for their beliefs.

Wait...you never got me that clean puppy
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'd really like to give this a go since my neighbor has been doing it. She has lost 15 pounds and 20 inches in 5 weeks. If I do this and get to goal could I slowly add in a few things I used to like as long as I stay at my maintaining calorie range? I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to eat out again or enjoy things at holidays with the family. I just wouldn't want to lose it all just to gain it all back if I'd slip into old habits if I felt I was always depriving myself. I need to lose at least 80 pounds but my goal is 100. Suggestions, opinions, and advise wanted! Thank you.

You should be able to do all that now. MFP uses goals not restrictions. It forces you to learn moderation and control. if I know I want something that is high in calories I will plan my day around it. something that helps is to do just that. PLAN your day out. Like today was planned around a bottle of dr. pepper (yep soda. don't judge lol) with good choices planned around the splurge I was able to make it work plus leave room for a monster pop with calories left over. I really enjoy my monster pops. While my babies were napping and I was eating supper I got tomorrow all planned out. again it worked out where I had calories left over so I have some wiggle room if I get a craving for something or i cant eat what i planned and need to grab fast food. i mean don't beat yourself up. life happens. its ok. I just started back up doing mfp. I am finding weight loss is harder post partum so must work a little extra but i have faith. you can do this. it takes PRACTICE and diligence but you can do it. Good luck. hope that helped a little
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • newfutures
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    [noknow="BabyPhat90713;32941336"]
    So, how do you guys define clean?
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

Expand please. Chips get their carbs from a vegetable, and fats from oils. How is this a bad carb?

I just know that chips are definitely not good for you. I used to go to a dietitian years ago. And this was a no no. I don't claim to be an expert on this subject so maybe you are right but I'm going to take her advise and just not eat them. I can't see where they could be considered healthy.

So, if you don't know, maybe you should refrain from repeating that which you assume, and benefit yourself by learning more.[/quote]

this last person was rude. but chips are considered "bad carbs" because how they are broken down and processed by the body. The average chip is made from potatoes. Potatoes are broken down very fast and cause blood sugar spikes and offer no sustained energy. They are on the black list for diabetics like myself HOWEVER veggie chips are better for you and many varieties taste awesome!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In honor of this thread I just ate a serving and a half of Oreo Ice cream

-slow clap- I wanna try that new cookie Ben and Jerry's. It's got like three cookie flavors in it. Mmm.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

You got put behind bars! D:
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

You got put behind bars! D:

It's a red badge of courage.
  • newfutures
    Options
    I basically would define it as getting rid of all bad carbs and processed foods. Just stick with veggies, fruits, beans, and meat! Basically most of the food in the middle Section of grocery store is a no. It's pretty strict but I was looking up clean eating meals on pinterest and it doesn't look to bad. I think I could do it. I just no that I would occasionally want a cookie or potatoes lol

What is a bad carb?

Basically junk like potato chips, crackers and so on. You get your good carbs from fruits and so forth

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Potato chips evidently come from potatoes, good carb, right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

No there are fast carbs and slow carbs. the names refer to how fast the body breaks them down. molecularly they are different. potatoes are actually considered a slow carb (bad) because they break down very quickly and cause your blood sugar to spike. the crackers are also black listed because they are from refined grains and your body break them down fast as well. Some fruits are slow carbs and most veggies. Beans are great carbs because they are slow in the breaking down process and the variety of beans is awesome. not to mention the ways to prepare them are endless. Oatmeal is also a great carb. hope that helps
  • newfutures
    Options

What is a bad carb?

But wait... all of the foods you just listed come from 'good carb' sources right?

Crackers can have multiple ingredients; barley, rye and wheat. Good carbs, right?

A carb, is a carb. They all have the same molecular formula. They're the same on a molecular level. Nothing differentiates a carb from a carb, no?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Any studies supporting that claim?

yes. it pretty much defines the diet of diabetics like myself
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options
    newfutures wrote: »

What is a bad carb?

No there are fast carbs and slow carbs. the names refer to how fast the body breaks them down. molecularly they are different. potatoes are actually considered a slow carb (bad) because they break down very quickly and cause your blood sugar to spike. the crackers are also black listed because they are from refined grains and your body break them down fast as well. Some fruits are slow carbs and most veggies. Beans are great carbs because they are slow in the breaking down process and the variety of beans is awesome. not to mention the ways to prepare them are endless. Oatmeal is also a great carb. hope that helps

Don't you see that there are no good carbs or bad carbs? It really comes down to which carb you want; slow release, or fast release.

Say, I want to get some heavy lifting done at the gym. I'll be wanting my monosaccharides; i.e. glucose. It doesn't need to be hydrolysed down into anything else - it can't. Before that, I'll have my slow release carbohydrates etc.

And insulin spiking... I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that it was good @ndj1979 . I think it might've been you who mentioned something about insulin spiking and something moving into the muscles? I can't remember.

Yet another thing I need to teach myself I guess.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

What is a bad carb?

I don't know. I just No That potato chips and icecream and crackers are harder for you to digest and they are not good for you. Potatoes are only good in increments. It's a starch and starchs are not good for you either

Any studies supporting that claim?

yes. it pretty much defines the diet of diabetics like myself

Just throw a link up any time.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Someone want to define what "clean eating" means?
    l0fooyn505go.jpeg
  • RobertDupuy
    RobertDupuy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late to the thread, but anyway, who cares :smile:

I've decided that everyone is different. Some say they get tempted by food if they don't throw some bad foods into the mix, if they felt deprived they couldn't keep their appropriate calorie intake diets.

However, some, like me, are tempted by bad food, and cannot eat it at all - less it trigger a binge and put me in danger of old habits returning.

I do not eat at restaurants and do not eat at parties, I do not eat foods with added sugar, do not eat foods with flour, am almost gluten free, and I do not eat meat.

And if I could think of another way to turn the knife on my old diet, I'd do that too :smile:

Ah anyway, I know everyone has to do what works for them. But I've been on this diet since September of last year, and I am absolutely not craving bad foods.

But, I will say this - this diet doesn't cause me to lose weight. I lose weight when I'm reducing calories and maintain when I'm not. I could even gain, in theory. Although without going to restaurants or eating at parties, or being able to eat anything at the checkout or in a vending machine...I wouldn't typically have a chance to binge as much as in the past.
  • newfutures
    Options

What is a bad carb?

Don't you see that there are no good carbs or bad carbs? It really comes down to which carb you want; slow release, or fast release.

Say, I want to get some heavy lifting done at the gym. I'll be wanting my monosaccharides; i.e. glucose. It doesn't need to be hydrolysed down into anything else - it can't. Before that, I'll have my slow release carbohydrates etc.

And insulin spiking... I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on here that it was good @ndj1979 . I think it might've been you who mentioned something about insulin spiking and something moving into the muscles? I can't remember.

The carb itself is not bad. its just labled bad because its counterproductive to most diet and health goals and definitely bad for diabetics. Blood sugar spikes are unhealthy because it causes fluctuations in your insulin production. when your blood sugar spikes so does your insulin. that is not healthy and overtime causes diabetes. from what i understand (not saying im right) there are no positive if any affects to muscle tissues. The majority of the carbs and starches consumed should be "complex" carbs simply because they are the healthiest for the body. They are broken down and used slower causing your insulin to stay steady. It wont spike and then crash. Now i love monster pops and noodles. I don't deprive myself of those but i use caution and moderation. For being a bad carb doughnuts sure do taste good.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited June 2015
    Options

What is a bad carb?

The carb itself is not bad. its just labled bad because its counterproductive to most diet and health goals and definitely bad for diabetics. Blood sugar spikes are unhealthy because it causes fluctuations in your insulin production. when your blood sugar spikes so does your insulin. that is not healthy and overtime causes diabetes. from what i understand (not saying im right) there are no positive if any affects to muscle tissues. The majority of the carbs and starches consumed should be "complex" carbs simply because they are the healthiest for the body. They are broken down and used slower causing your insulin to stay steady. It wont spike and then crash. Now i love monster pops and noodles. I don't deprive myself of those but i use caution and moderation. For being a bad carb doughnuts sure do taste good.

I'm still waiting on that study which will suggest that starches are bad for us.
This discussion has been closed.