My Food Diary - Your opinions please

AspenDan
AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Wacha think? I'm 6'1, 320, lost about 15lbs in a few weeks.
First, I'm not starving, I eat all my food between 3-9pm, and with all the water I drink (about 64oz) I really never feel hungry.
Second I basically weigh everything (I'd say up to 90% accuracy) on a digital scale, mostly in grams. Even things that say X cups, the back says 1cup(37g) and I weight it out as 37g but log it as 1 cup.

So, opinions, should I eat more of something, less of another, am I not eating enough or doing alright? I'm new to weight loss so this is all very interesting to me. Thanks

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    The idea of goal calories is to try and get close to that goal - why are you massively undercutting your target?
    You don't have to deprive yourself to that extent to lose weight. You may find this sustainable for a while but with the amount of weight you have to lose it has to be sustainable for the long run. Eat like a 6'1" man not like a child!

Just think for a moment what you will have to do if your weight loss plateaus, reduce your already very low calories even more?

Your protein is really low, your calories are dreadfully low - that's two great ways too lose a load of muscle mass along with the fat you want to lose. The opposite of what your should be aiming to achieve.

Read the very helpful stickies in the Getting Started forum. Start again would be my suggestion.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    nlwabokypfzv.jpg

If you're weighing everything log it as weight not cups

Did you make the oats with water ...make it with milk to add calories, calcium etc

Half a baked potato for 55 cals I doubt it, that doesn't sound like an accurate MFP database entry ...you need to be careful of the one you choose

but eat the whole one...add butter to it ..a teaspoon is not much

Eat more calories, that's far too few...hit your goal

Your protein is too low

I don't think you've got the point yet ..it's not about restriction it's about a healthy nutritious omnivorous diet ..just get to your calories

Also at your height and weight I would imagine you have cut further than the MFP set goal

Meal timing is personal choi
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    @sijomial I mean, I've never been a big eater. I always drank a lot of soda, and ate *kitten*, high high calorie food, so that's why I was in a surplus and gained a lot of weight over about 8 years. But eating healthy, high volume/satiety food, I just don't get hungry enough to eat anywhere near the amount MFP recommends.

@rabbitjb If the label says 1 cup (37g), and I weight it out to 37g, I'm just going to leave it at that, it's still accurate, don't you think?

Also let's consider that I'm basically sitting all day (I know its unhealthy), I work at a desk job, I sleep 8 hours a day, and the other 7ish hours I'm reading, watching tv, or playing video games. I work out 30mins 4-5 times a week, and that's more or less all the exercise I get. So wacha think?
  • sijomial
    edited June 2015
    Brilliant!
    You are doing the three worst things for preservation of muscle mass in a calorie deficit.
    Massive deficit, inadequate protein and no exercise.

Simply put - you are doing it wrong.

Health should be paramount, your methods are unhealthy. If you don't mind me being blunt - you are being foolish. Talk about youth being wasted on the young.... Good luck, you are going to need it.
  • Sued0nim
    @sijomial I mean, I've never been a big eater. I always drank a lot of soda, and ate *kitten*, high high calorie food, so that's why I was in a surplus and gained a lot of weight over about 8 years. But eating healthy, high volume/satiety food, I just don't get hungry enough to eat anywhere near the amount MFP recommends.

@rabbitjb If the label says 1 cup (37g), and I weight it out to 37g, I'm just going to leave it at that, it's still accurate, don't you think?

Also let's consider that I'm basically sitting all day (I know its unhealthy), I work at a desk job, I sleep 8 hours a day, and the other 7ish hours I'm reading, watching tv, or playing video games. I work out 30mins 4-5 times a week, and that's more or less all the exercise I get. So wacha think?
    So you check that the calorie allowance that comes from a cup in the MFP database is right

Because a lot of them aren't

A 5 oz baked potato would be double the calories you've allowed http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories-in-food/veg/jacket-potatoes.htm

Everything else in my post stands ...you aren't consuming enough calories for your size
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    @sijomial No no man, that's why I posted this. I want to have a discussion, this is good. As I said...I'm 3 weeks in, very new to this lol.
  • Sued0nim
    So you work a desk job ...many of us of do ...take a walk at lunchtime ...get up and move around every couple of hours

I work out 3 times a week but try to be a little more active each day with just generally moving a little more
  • AspenDan
    @rabbitjb Oh I see what you're saying. In most of those cups and tbsp's and such, I'm scanning the bar code, which just copies what's on the back, the nutritional info it came with. I don't think I have any other way of actually determining how many calories and macros are in 37g of peanut butter.
  • AspenDan
    @sijomial In what ways should I get more calories and protien, if I'm not really feeling hungry enough to eat more? (legit question)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I have to agree that your intake is a little low. Looking at it from the point of view of change in lifestyle is helpful. You already said why you got big so you don't need to diet. All that will happen is that you feel energized, you drop 10-20 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then you get demotivated because it finally catches up with you. You probably should be more around 1800 on intake.

I'm not in the protein overload camp so your protein is fine to me. Sleep 8 hours a week great. If you are at work in your picture, it looks like you have opportunities to move more.
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    @20yearsyounger I like your positivity about the protein thing...sure if I'm going to go eat a greasy amazing bacon cheese burger, I might make 150+ protein for the day, but otherwise I just dont enjoy meat enough to eat that much of it. I am at work in my picture, but sadly I work overnights, and can't let the phone ring more than 3 times (that 5 star forbes standard!) So I'm pretty much chained to the desk outside of my half hour break (which I use to go to the gym and bike/walk). I mean I'm obviously not TOTALLY sedentary, but I live like an fairly average american, where most of my entertainment is digital.
  • Sued0nim
    I have to agree that your intake is a little low. Looking at it from the point of view of change in lifestyle is helpful. You already said why you got big so you don't need to diet. All that will happen is that you feel energized, you drop 10-20 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then you get demotivated because it finally catches up with you. You probably should be more around 1800 on intake.

I'm not in the protein overload camp so your protein is fine to me. Sleep 8 hours a week great. If you are at work in your picture, it looks like you have opportunities to move more.

Sorry so you cut his calories even more? To speed up his weight loss and decimate further LBM putting him at increased risk of things like gallstones etc ...wow!

Can you explain what you believe protein overload is and source evidence for why you think it's fine...or is it just "dem feels"

Protein is an important macro
  • sijomial
    More calories = more food you enjoy. Calorie dense foods does not mean unhealthy foods. Learning to cook is a positive move. Base the majority of your diet around wholesome foods but you can allow yourself a treat as well.

More protein = food choices, try getting some protein with every meal as it adds up. meat, fish, eggs etc. etc....

As rabbitjb says build more activity into your lifestyle. Always take the stairs, walk in preference to driving, build activity into your daily commute. Sitting on your *kitten* all day is so unhealthy.

Do exercise you enjoy. Walk, swim, lift weights.... If you don't know what you enjoy, try everything!
  • Sued0nim
    @20yearsyounger I like your positivity about the protein thing...sure if I'm going to go eat a greasy amazing bacon cheese burger, I might make 150+ protein for the day, but otherwise I just dont enjoy meat enough to eat that much of it. I am at work in my picture, but sadly I work overnights, and can't let the phone ring more than 3 times (that 5 star forbes standard!) So I'm pretty much chained to the desk outside of my half hour break (which I use to go to the gym and bike/walk). I mean I'm obviously not TOTALLY sedentary, but I live like an fairly average american, where most of my entertainment is digital.

Please don't like bad advice just because it fits with your current thinking ...you said you were on a learning curve so learn

Sources of protein are not restricted to "greasy bacon cheeseburgers" ..try Greek yogurt for instance ...eggs..
  • AspenDan
    @rabbitjb I mean a quick google search yielded this "Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 10% to 35% of their day's calories from protein foods. That's about 46 grams of protein for women, and 56 grams of protein for men." And I'm like doubling that?? I just don't get it
  • Sued0nim
    @rabbitjb Oh I see what you're saying. In most of those cups and tbsp's and such, I'm scanning the bar code, which just copies what's on the back, the nutritional info it came with. I don't think I have any other way of actually determining how many calories and macros are in 37g of peanut butter.

There should be a drop down if you've scanned it that allows you to select the weight rather than cups
  • AspenDan
    rabbitjb wrote: »

There should be a drop down if you've scanned it that allows you to select the weight rather than cups

Umm, why tho? Just for other people's ease of mind on MFP knowing I'm actually weighing things?
  • Sued0nim
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Umm, why tho? Just for other people's ease of mind on MFP knowing I'm actually weighing things?

So you're measuring in grammes then converting it to cups ? Seems complicated to me

Nobody else cares really I just thought you might find it easier
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    I would listen to this advise if I was you. They both know what they are talking about.
    I am a 5 foot 5 30 yo female and I eat more calories than you do.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    @sijomial In what ways should I get more calories and protien, if I'm not really feeling hungry enough to eat more? (legit question)

Try eating more calorie dense foods - just because they have calories doesn't make them unhealthy. Fats are great to bump up cals without a massive increase in volume. Drink calories - make yourself a smoothie (protein powder, fruit, nut butter or avocado, dairy if you like) and drink it between meals. Choose fattier meats/fish, whole eggs, full fat dairy. Choose more carb dense fruit and vegetables, and include grains/beans/legumes etc.

Drizzle your vegies in olive oil. Or butter - yum! Make a quick satay by adding peanut butter and coconut cream to your chicken (thigh instead of breast). Put honey, and protein powder into your oats and make them with full fat milk.

Eating more regularly will likely get your appetite back...