My Food Diary - Your opinions please

Options

Replies

• tricka3909
    tricka3909 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing I keep thinking is, I've been eating this way, between 1200-1600 calories a day, for over 2 weeks. Honestly, if I was truly robbing myself of a lot of muscle, and killing my metabolism or whatever, wouldn't I feel it by now? Maybe needing an extra nap in my day, or not having the energy to get up and cook dinner or whatever? Literally, if anything, I've been feeling better... ?

• tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Agree with all this ...but he logged 55 cals for the potato not 110... Did you miss the negative?

He logged half a potato.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    tshuk00 wrote: »
    Agree with all this ...but he logged 55 cals for the potato not 110... Did you miss the negative?

He logged half a potato.

Half a potato would be about 110 calories Baked potatoes are around 200-220g usually, for a whole one, and about 200-220 calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

He logged half a potato.

Half a potato would be about 110 calories Baked potatoes are around 200-220g usually, for a whole one, and about 200-220 calories.
    Yup
  • tshuk00
    edited June 2015
    Options
    According to the USDA, 100g of potato is 77 calories. 5.3 oz is 150g or 115 calories. He logged half of 5.3 oz. Look very specifically at what you took a screenshot of.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    According to the USDA, 100g of potato is 77 calories. 5.3 oz is 150g or 115 calories. He logged half of 5.3 oz. Look very specifically at what you took a screenshot of.

Maybe English potatoes have more calories lol. 55 calories would be quarter of an average size baked potato. If that's what the OP ate, fair enough.
  • tshuk00
    Options
    You keep going back to "average". That's a terrible way to estimate food. Logging by weight is as accurate as you can get. 5.3 oz potatoes are an average size of potato that you would get in a bag of them- they're not the same as the giant baking potatoes you buy individually, at least not in the US.
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options

Actually I read that as He logged half a baked potato at 5.3oz = 148g

And that calorie count is not for a baked potato

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3131 ...microwaved its 100 calories per 100g

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/default/files/HHFS_POTATOES_RUSSET_Dec2012.pdf
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I do weigh them, but an average size potato is usually between 200-220g. Every potato for making baked potatoes with has always weighed between 200-220g.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If your going ask a question for advice and then already choose to ignore the advice what's the point in asking the question?!

I have to agree with this. Why bother. He can do his own research. That's what he is doing. Let him. If he wants to starve and eat the minimum. So be it.

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok about the potato...I made a whole batch of chopped(?), seasoned, baked potato, and put about 5.5oz(on a digital scale :] ) in each meal container because it looks like a serving size I'd eat..then I found and entry for baked seasoned potato that matched that weight about.. Second, I'll up my calorie intake..Many of you feel I need to be eating more, so this whole thing has been very helpful. I don't think I need to go as high as some of you suggest tho..probably about 1800 should work for me.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    w0qjr2ovb9o2.png

So...getting better? I still felt like I was constantly eating. And sugars are high, should probably not use as much yogurt? Or less sugar yogurt?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    w0qjr2ovb9o2.png

So...getting better? I still felt like I was constantly eating. And sugars are high, should probably not use as much yogurt? Or less sugar yogurt?

No, not really. You're low in protein and fat in my opinion. Why do you not eat protein with lunch? You could add a tin of salmon for example - protein and good Fats! You could add protein powder to your breakfast, or make eggy oats with a couple of eggs added in. 3 meals is not constantly eating.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Have you had WLS?
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    My heart weeps at the lack of fat.
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Have you had WLS?

wls? like wieght loss or? If so, yeah I haven't weighed myself in a few days, but in two is weeks I lost about 15lbs...but of course a lot of that was probably water weight from lowering my sodium
    @minties82 Honestly, I have no issues with the foods that I'm eating, they do just fine and I feel like I could probably eat the (with a cheat day here and there) for a very long time. That oatmeal and peanut butter is so good, especially with the banana, and the ranch/rice/chicken dinner was pretty amazing too :]
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You are going to be SO sorry when you realise that you have got to the weight you thought you ought to be but are still fat, because you ate so little that you lost a lot of muscle too.

This is not a competition to see who can be most good, or eat the least. You win when you eat lots of great food and still lose weight.

Food is good. Eat more of it. Add some snacks. Protein bars and shakes are good. Cheese, nuts, fruit, popcorn, hell, have some bloody chocolate. Have a beer. Eat a donut. Or two. Eat some of the calorie dense food that you say made you fat. You can eat one meal of calorie dense food, and have the other two be 'healthy'. You have lots of room for this stuff, and you will STILL LOSE WEIGHT at a decent pace.

You can eat less when you get nearer to your goal.

Also, didn't we have this whole exact same conversation with you last week? The advice isn't going to change. This is starting to look like you're afraid of eating enough, and afraid of eating the foods that made you overweight. Are you?
  • AspenDan
    Options
    No I'm not afraid of food at all, I have cheat meals and such no problem. But eating healthier foods, I'm not hungry, and it seems counter intuitive to eat more than that, simply to fill a calorie quota.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    No I'm not afraid of food at all, I have cheat meals and such no problem. But eating healthier foods, I'm not hungry, and it seems counter intuitive to eat more than that, simply to fill a calorie quota.

That is the problem Daniel, it isn't just to fill the calorie quota it is for health reasons. Your dietary fats are so low that your body won't be able to transport your vitamin A, E, D or K around plus lot's of other vital things that our bodies need fat for. People aren't saying it for no reason, long term health wise you need to get that protein and fat content up nearer your target amounts.

Even from a vanity point when you hit goal weight you will still be fat rather than lean if you keep your protein that low.

Your plan of 1800 is much better, just add in more fat and protein and you'll get there!