• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    th?id=JN.XC29hljxf%2fsp3fnGGAFgVg&pid=15.1&P=0
    -The Happy Rainbows and Unicorn Sparkles MFP Welcome Crew
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You keep missing the point. That's still guessing. And you're still eating a sizable chunk of those calories back. Insulting me will only get you in trouble with the moderation team, it won't help you understand or communicate with the other users here.

We're trying to understand why you're using a site to log data when you don't seem to care about the data's accuracy. Why ask the question about logging the activity at all, when the burn from it would offset calories whose consumption you didn't even log?

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    ProjectSYD wrote: »
    Y
    Caitwn wrote: »
    I don't understand what you are asking, then. Your logging isn't really logging at all - it's all guesswork, estimations, approximations, possibilities, and maybe a little magic. Then you come off as annoyed and defensive when an experienced member with established success nudges you about that.

So log it or don't. With the way you are handling it now, it really won't make a difference either way. Look - there are great tools available here if you are open to using them. But it sounds like you already believe you know it all. Maybe you don't mean to come off that way, but if you can't engage in a straightforward conversation that includes some gentle challenges, then what's the point of posting the question at all?

^This.

OP, if you're just looking for validation for what you wanted to do, it was unnecessary to post. As you said, you've lost weight before. You've taken the time to reiterate that point over and over again. If you feel that not logging food correctly and logging inflated exercise burns while eating most of those calories back is the way to get you to your goals again, who are we to argue? You're obviously not seeking real input.

Are you illiterate? Because your post obviously would suggest that you are.

Inflation makes it sound like I'm logging more exercise than I'm actually performing when I'm doing the opposite.

I LOG LESS MINUTES OF EXERCISE THAN I ACTUALLY PERFORM.

I LOG MORE FOOD THAN I ACTUALLY EAT.

Example: I run for 40 minutes on the elliptical at 16-18 mph.

I LOG 20 MINUTES AT 12 MPH.

I eat 21g of cheese.

I LOG 30g

The point of this thread was to start a discussion about logging activities out of the norm. I'm not looking for validitification - you amount many others on here (I'll refer to you as morons or idiots from now on, you probably aren't even real people but just trolls on the internet like reddit) went and looked at my diary and started analyzing it.

THAT WASNT THE POINT

No son, inflation irt exercise burns means crediting too many calories being burned from the activity when logging it. Stick around more and learn the site terminology. I am trying to teach you what you wanted to know.

As far as not logging or logging activity out of the norm, this has already been answered. You don't choose to log food consumption out of the norm (your buffet eating), your extra activity should not then be logged either. A bit of walking would certainly not cancel out a buffet binge, at any rate.

Water under the bridge, you don't seem to welcome any input.

Are you an inbred? I don't understand how someone can be that stupid. I account for inflation by recording less exercise than performed. If you have some sort of mental condition I apologize I shouldn't be mean to someone with a disability.

tumblr_mt7z97zJYo1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Boy, you need to check yourself, because you're about to start some *kitten* you don't even want. You need to watch what you say and who you are saying it to.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Y
    I don't understand what you are asking, then. Your logging isn't really logging at all - it's all guesswork, estimations, approximations, possibilities, and maybe a little magic. Then you come off as annoyed and defensive when an experienced member with established success nudges you about that.

So log it or don't. With the way you are handling it now, it really won't make a difference either way. Look - there are great tools available here if you are open to using them. But it sounds like you already believe you know it all. Maybe you don't mean to come off that way, but if you can't engage in a straightforward conversation that includes some gentle challenges, then what's the point of posting the question at all?

^This.

OP, if you're just looking for validation for what you wanted to do, it was unnecessary to post. As you said, you've lost weight before. You've taken the time to reiterate that point over and over again. If you feel that not logging food correctly and logging inflated exercise burns while eating most of those calories back is the way to get you to your goals again, who are we to argue? You're obviously not seeking real input.

Inflation makes it sound like I'm logging more exercise than I'm actually performing when I'm doing the opposite.

I eat 21g of cheese.

I LOG 30g

The point of this thread was to start a discussion about logging activities out of the norm. I'm not looking for validitification - you amount many others on here (I'll refer to you as morons or idiots from now on, you probably aren't even real people but just trolls on the internet like reddit) went and looked at my diary and started analyzing it.

THAT WASNT THE POINT

If you are not going to log accurately why bother. :D

I agree with everyone else.

Mfp isn't 100% accurate so why bother using the ap?

Yes. Why bother?

bring-it-on-buh-bye.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Y

^This.

I eat 21g of cheese.

I LOG 30g

THAT WASNT THE POINT

That's actually a good question. None of this is accurate, you're right. But there are degrees of accuracy. If you log as accurately as possible, using a food scale, verifying data base entries, trying your best to find accurate exercise burns? You can use the data the site records over the period of say... 4 weeks time... and do the math. Check all the calories consumed vs. weight lost, factor in exercise... and see how closely everything matched up. Then decide for yourself how accurately it works.

For most people who have done this, it seems to come pretty close.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    Y

^This.

I eat 21g of cheese.

I LOG 30g

THAT WASNT THE POINT

No son, inflation irt exercise burns means crediting too many calories being burned from the activity when logging it. Stick around more and learn the site terminology. I am trying to teach you what you wanted to know.

As far as not logging or logging activity out of the norm, this has already been answered. You don't choose to log food consumption out of the norm (your buffet eating), your extra activity should not then be logged either. A bit of walking would certainly not cancel out a buffet binge, at any rate.

Water under the bridge, you don't seem to welcome any input.

Are you an inbred? I don't understand how someone can be that stupid. I account for inflation by recording less exercise than performed. If you have some sort of mental condition I apologize I shouldn't be mean to someone with a disability.

tumblr_mt7z97zJYo1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Boy, you need to check yourself, because you're about to start some *kitten* you don't even want. You need to watch what you say and who you are saying it to.

ILU

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Should you log activity out of the norm as exercise? Yes, but only if you intend to log accurately. You're not using the tools as intended so there's no point in logging the activity.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Not even ah
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    PS there's a difference between data and anecdotes

PS: this thread was a general question - the question being should you log physical activity out of the norm. Like a 3 hour hike through the woods, or a mix I laps and water sports. I didn't ask you to analyze my diary. Mostly because when I log food I log more than I eat (to be safe since MFP isn't 100% accurate and I also log my exercise much lower intensity than I actually do with less time). But you made assumptions and you sound like a complete idiot and an *kitten*.

Well one of us does

Not even sure what that's supposed to mean. Why do you troll the forums with nothing helpful to say? Do you have anything better to do with your time?

She had a lot of helpful things to say. You got defensive when you could have learned something.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Youf
    Y

^This.

I eat 21g of cheese.

I LOG 30g

THAT WASNT THE POINT

That's actually a good question. None of this is accurate, you're right. But there are degrees of accuracy. If you log as accurately as possible, using a food scale, verifying data base entries, trying your best to find accurate exercise burns? You can use the data the site records over the period of say... 4 weeks time... and do the math. Check all the calories consumed vs. weight lost, factor in exercise... and see how closely everything matched up. Then decide for yourself how accurately it works.

For most people who have done this, it seems to come pretty close.

You're continuing to miss my point. I've used it in the past. I wasn't losing weight until I started doing what I do with my diary. I've had the time to decide how inaccurate it is. That's why I log 20 minutes of cardio on an elliptical when in reality I'm doing 40 minutes. I tries to politely hint to you guys that I don't need advice on how I log my diary because I know it's not accurate but the way I log works for me.

For the first two weeks I didn't log any of my food and still lost weight, I learned how go not rely on mfp as a crutch to weightloss a long time ago. I was merely using it again because it had been so long and I wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Why care about any burn from out of the norm activity then? Why log at all since you feel you're on track again. I'm not picking on you at this point, you do just seem a bit all over the place.

And I'm sorry, but you're just plain wrong about the site not working when used correctly. I will grant you, with the data base in a shambles, there are plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong. Some of the entries in there are totally off base and it's hard to wade through them and find a correct calorie count.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You keep missing the point. That's still guessing. And you're still eating a sizable chunk of those calories back. Insulting me will only get you in trouble with the moderation team, it won't help you understand or communicate with the other users here.

We're trying to understand why you're using a site to log data when you don't seem to care about the data's accuracy. Why ask the question about logging the activity at all, when the burn from it would offset calories whose consumption you didn't even log?

I didn't realize describing someone for what they are is insulting? I still accept you as a person of you're an inbred. I just understand you might not be as smart as the rest of us.

Dude, really? That's the best you got?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    GIF--despair-Will-Ferrell-Ron-Burgundy-Anchorman-GIF.gif

I'm closing this down before someone throws a trident.

Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. Earnest and respectful debate on any message in the forums is acceptable. Attacking the messenger is not.

Please note the following forum guideline:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

You may review the forum guidelines in their entirety at the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,

kgeyser
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.