6 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight

1. You are eating more than you burn.
    2. Please refer to reason #1
    3. Please refer to reason #1
    4. Please refer to reason #1
    5. Please refer to reason #1
    6. Please refer to reason #1

There, fixed it.

I think the point of the article was given that you are eating less than you burn, why aren't you losing weight. To say that is because you are eating more than you burn would beg the question.

Don't think so Tim. If you eating less than you burn....there is no way you won't be losing weight. And all those reasons in the article...are all based on bunk sham science and just basic untruths.

Now people may THINK they are eating less than they burn, however if they are not losing weight then in fact they are not. It's a simple math equation.

There is no way you won't be losing FAT, but that doesn't mean you're losing weight. For example, if you gain water weight at the same time you lose fat, your weight may stay pretty close to the same, even while you are eating less than you burn. If you eat stuff that makes you constipated, you may hang on to weight, even as you are losing fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I fixed the article:

6 Reasons Why You Are Not Losing Weight

1. You are eating more than you burn.
    2. Please refer to reason #1
    3. Please refer to reason #1
    4. Please refer to reason #1
    5. Please refer to reason #1
    6. Please refer to reason #1

There, fixed it.

I think the point of the article was given that you are eating less than you burn, why aren't you losing weight. To say that is because you are eating more than you burn would beg the question.

Don't think so Tim. If you eating less than you burn....there is no way you won't be losing weight. And all those reasons in the article...are all based on bunk sham science and just basic untruths.

Now people may THINK they are eating less than they burn, however if they are not losing weight then in fact they are not. It's a simple math equation.

There is no way you won't be losing FAT, but that doesn't mean you're losing weight. For example, if you gain water weight at the same time you lose fat, your weight may stay pretty close to the same, even while you are eating less than you burn. If you eat stuff that makes you constipated, you may hang on to weight, even as you are losing fat.

For a short time ...for a couple of week...timescales count
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Actually generally it boils down to either or both of the following:

You are eating more calories than you think
    You are burning fewer calories than you think

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months.

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Bottom line - 8 weeks from now you can be closer to your goal - or not.

Up to the individual.

2 months is nothing. Someone is complaining about having to to diet for 2 extra months? REALLY?? You might struggle a bit in losing weight until you work on your patience.

The words of all the people ever who probably didn't have much to lose or haven't been doing it very long. I've been at this for YEARS and I still have 30lbs or more to go. When I hear any sort of "wait, be patient, just a couple more months" it's eye roll inducing.

I remember a thread you started not long after I came to the forums. And every suggestion you were given was shot down by you as something you weren't willing to do. Not all of them involved cutting your calories.

Unfortunately, I don't remember all the specifics, I do remember, however, that it was obvious that you just wanted to complain.

Now here you are. You've learned nothing.

There are PLENTY of things to do. You've already been told what they are. You're not willing to do them/don't believe they'll work/won't adhere to them properly.

It's counterproductive of you to discourage people willing to put in honest effort by constantly implying that you're just a helpless victim of circumstance.

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    The not enough fiber struggle is real people.

Why?

150g raspberries =10g fibre
    (Eat it with 170g 0% Greek yogurt and you get 18g protein too for around 150 calories total)

I didn't realize raspberries were so high. For my body to work (medical reasons) I need about 25 grams, and honestly I don't always eat enough because I have celiac, so that lets out a lot of high fiber foods. I do get it in with nuts, seeds, fruit, etc, but I do find even if I miss a day, it screws up my body. I'm not arguing the math part, I agree. I follow the deficit MFP gives me and I've lost, but it is reallllly hard for me if I don't eat 25-30 grams a day of fiber.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Why?

(Eat it with 170g 0% Greek yogurt and you get 18g protein too for around 150 calories total)

I didn't realize raspberries were so high. For my body to work (medical reasons) I need about 25 grams, and honestly I don't always eat enough because I have celiac, so that lets out a lot of high fiber foods. I do get it in with nuts, seeds, fruit, etc, but I do find even if I miss a day, it screws up my body. I'm not arguing the math part, I agree. I follow the deficit MFP gives me and I've lost, but it is reallllly hard for me if I don't eat 25-30 grams a day of fiber.

I have to have closer to 50g for me to feel like my bowels function properly. I used to take psyllium husk to supplement but post-op (partial colectomy at the start of the year) it's been causing cramping and distention so I don't really use it anymore. Raspberries are an awesome source of fiber. I also use Quest bars now as a really solid fiber and protein source (they are GF so far as I am aware). I do also rely on whole grain bread and high fiber pasta as well, which I know you can't. Between my pasta last night and a Quest bar I hit 62g of fiber.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Why?

Sounds tough ...but raspberries...omnomnom
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @yopeeps025 I don't have problems understanding what it takes at all. I just mean in general, the people who post threads about why things aren't working for them, or posting about fad diets and MFP's opinion on them. It's like, no wonder they are always so confused. lol!
  • PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

Why?

I have celiac disease and get loads of fiber. Flax meal, gluten free oats, beans, the aforementioned raspberries, all sorts of veg, Quest bars, Explore Asia bean pasta... Also? Eat some yogurt every day. The probiotics are good for keeping everything in that regard happy.

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Why?

I have celiac disease and get loads of fiber. Flax meal, gluten free oats, beans, the aforementioned raspberries, all sorts of veg, Quest bars, Explore Asia bean pasta... Also? Eat some yogurt every day. The probiotics are good for keeping everything in that regard happy.

Beans don't bug your belly? I do add flax meal to a lot of foods, but like I said, I just eat mindlessly sometimes and forget to add the good stuff to keep me regular. I tried the Activia, my MD even had me on probiotic pills and no dice. I honestly am so excited about the raspberries. I will have no issues adding a cup of those with some flax into my daily smoothie. Thank you!

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Why?

Beans don't bug your belly? I do add flax meal to a lot of foods, but like I said, I just eat mindlessly sometimes and forget to add the good stuff to keep me regular. I tried the Activia, my MD even had me on probiotic pills and no dice. I honestly am so excited about the raspberries. I will have no issues adding a cup of those with some flax into my daily smoothie. Thank you!

So I was going to suggest this:
    http://www.goodbelly.com/by-the-glass/

Based off of a blogger I follow ( http://successalongtheweigh.blogspot.com/2013/11/not-glamorous-subject.html & results: http://successalongtheweigh.blogspot.com/2013/12/results-of-12-day-challenge.html)

But there's no fiber...
    idk, here you go tho lol
  • Shreshy
    Shreshy Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started going to gym on a regular basis , I was not seeing meaningful results . it was so frustrating because i would gym for 2 hours a day. I consulted a personal trainer and he had told me to not do the same workout routine so I switched it up a bit and what do you know I ended up losing 10kgs (which I've gained back again but I'm determined to be that fit
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Actually generally it boils down to either or both of the following:

You are eating more calories than you think
    You are burning fewer calories than you think

the things in your OP are mainly short-term stalls (eg less than 6-8 weeks) and majoring in the minors

I like how 8 weeks isn't a long time. That's two months.

It took you a lot longer than that to learn how to talk. Or walk. Or pretty much anything else important.

Bottom line - 8 weeks from now you can be closer to your goal - or not.

Up to the individual.

2 months is nothing. Someone is complaining about having to to diet for 2 extra months? REALLY?? You might struggle a bit in losing weight until you work on your patience.

The words of all the people ever who probably didn't have much to lose or haven't been doing it very long. I've been at this for YEARS and I still have 30lbs or more to go. When I hear any sort of "wait, be patient, just a couple more months" it's eye roll inducing.

I, for one, don't do YEARS very well. I only had 60lbs to lose when I started this time around and I have less than six to go. I'm on the verge of wanting to be done, so I can move on to other things. I sure hope it doesn't take two months.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @PrizePopple - I had a total colectomy over 9 years ago. Your body will get used to its 'new' normal eventually. I hope it has improved your health - Good luck to you!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    runfreer wrote: »
    @PrizePopple - I had a total colectomy over 9 years ago. Your body will get used to its 'new' normal eventually. I hope it has improved your health - Good luck to you!

Thank you. I had pretty severe diverticulosis that my GI was just done with after I landed in the hospital for 2 days around Thanksgiving. So far so good. :D
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    the one thing I forgot about is walking every hour I am sitting at the desk. I sit for 10 hours a day and even though I work out every day, it's not enough to cancel the sitting.

You should get at least 10,000 steps a day. That is about 5 miles at my stride. I also turned my desk both at work and home into a standing desk, and I sit every once in a while.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The Six Reasons Im not losing weight? Im eating bad food. Im eating a lot of bad food. Im not exercising off the bad food. Im taking a nap after eating bad food. The only burn Im feeling is in the bathroom. Im only tracking my calories when I look at the box of Twinkies Im polishing off and thinking,"Damn, this box has a lot of calories in it".
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    There is really only one reason...

You are eating equal to or more than you are burning.

It's that simple.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Why?

Not at all, but I might have a weird system, because of all things, meat disagreed with me the most. I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian now, and things sorted themselves out a lot for me once I got off meat. I have no idea why this was, I mostly switched because I don't really like the texture of meat and I just like beans, but I noticed major digestive improvement after I stopped eating meat. I wasn't expecting anything like this to happen, so I don't think I'm experiencing anything like a placebo effect.

I have the best tummy luck pairing gf oats with beans for a complete protein. I usually do this by making veggie patties or loaves, or eating them at separate meals throughout the day.

Again, I might be a weird case. I've already established on the boards that I'm a digestive outlier. I just ate about 3/4 a pound of broccoli with some bean pasta. I will not get any gas at all from this meal. Cruciferous vegetables, even in very large quantities, do not have that effect on me.