Starting 5 week low carb diet! No more excuses! Who wants to join me? :)

Options

Replies

• KarinasPerfectBody
    KarinasPerfectBody Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Ok, I cooked grilled turkey breasts and grilled vegetables for tomorrow. Put everything into containers for my lunch in dinner which should help me to control my portions! Ah! I can do it!!

That's nice, but low carb isn't just meat and veggies - where are you on your fat macro? Are you cooking in oil? Most low carbers on the site put the emphasis on fat to help them feel full; it's not just cutting out breads, pastas, and baked goods. If you don't have your macros set correctly, that could explain why you've failed at low carb 3 times before and have trouble controlling your portions.

Yes! Low carb AND low fat will not be fun! Could be why you couldn't stick to it before.
    But ultimately you have to stay below maintenance calories to lose weight no matter what. LCHF works for me more than any other way of eating in deficit I have ever tried because I have zero issues with hunger. That's due to the healthy fats. I never crave sweets or carbs anymore. That's why I am finding success. I find it easy to stay in control and I have no intention of ever ending this "diet". This is just how I eat now.

Wow! Great! Please tell me more about how do you do with LCHF diet! What is your weekly meal plan?!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ok, I cooked grilled turkey breasts and grilled vegetables for tomorrow. Put everything into containers for my lunch in dinner which should help me to control my portions! Ah! I can do it!!

That's nice, but low carb isn't just meat and veggies - where are you on your fat macro? Are you cooking in oil? Most low carbers on the site put the emphasis on fat to help them feel full; it's not just cutting out breads, pastas, and baked goods. If you don't have your macros set correctly, that could explain why you've failed at low carb 3 times before and have trouble controlling your portions.

Yes! Low carb AND low fat will not be fun! Could be why you couldn't stick to it before.
    But ultimately you have to stay below maintenance calories to lose weight no matter what. LCHF works for me more than any other way of eating in deficit I have ever tried because I have zero issues with hunger. That's due to the healthy fats. I never crave sweets or carbs anymore. That's why I am finding success. I find it easy to stay in control and I have no intention of ever ending this "diet". This is just how I eat now.

Wow! Great! Please tell me more about how do you do with LCHF diet! What is your weekly meal plan?!

I don't work out a specific plan exactly. I take it day by day watching the calories I'm eating and just don't allow starches, sugars and grains in my diet. So basically, if it has no or super low carbs, I can easily include it in my eating. I have a lot of meat, cheese, eggs and green vegetables. You don't have to be as carb strict as I am to get success with low carb. It's just my personal choice and I'm very happy with my decision. I don't eat fruit except some berries. That's not necessary for low carb in general, just the level I choose that works for me. Eventually, at goal weight, I may relax my carb intake a bit... But I'll figure out if that works for me then.
    Anyway, here is what the past months average calories have been for me.
    yi0eyg4og8xz.jpg
    Had no struggle with hunger during any of it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It seems like there are two items that jump out here.

I didn't learn or follow the mentioned diet strategy.

I didn't have portion control.

Any diet will fail with those two factors in play.

Give it a solid shot and then see how it goes.
  • JamesMartyn
    JamesMartyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Karina, I'm with you on this. Sunny_Bunny is absolutely right as well. Low carb and low fat will most likely result in failure!

Foods that are high in health fats will easily sustain you and give you much more nutritional than you probably originally would give them credit for at a glance. Some good examples of fats that I eat pretty much daily:

Coconut Oil (I use it in a lot of cooking at low temperatures, but sometimes I will add it to a smoothie or just eat a tablespoon if I need energy).
    Avocados - No brainer here I think.
    Olive Oil - The main source for any sauce/dressing I use on salads
    Nuts - Walnuts and Almonds primarily, but I snack on cashews, unsalted pistachios, macadamias, and brazil nuts as well. I eat less nuts than most other fats and am more inclined to use almond butter or cashew butter in smoothies
    Eggs - EAT EGGS, or even just the yolks. I put the yolks in my smoothies because there is no taste and they're great for your cholesterol levels and have lots of healthy fat
    Salmon -- or any other fatty fish!
    Full Fat Greek Yogurt -- Okay, this is the exception to my Olive oil sauce rule. I make a mean tzatziki to eat with my raw veg! I also mix it with tuna on occasion in lieu of mayonnaise (though there are also healthy olive-oil based mayos you can make!)

I don't cut off fruits altogether. I actually have a cup of fruit every morning as part of my breakfast, but that's 15g of carbs. I tend to end around 50-75 grams of carbs per day, and that's without trying to hard. You can do this, and I'm with you for all 5 weeks! Let the carb lovers do their thing, but you've definitely got my support!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    True, I am trying to keep my protein level hight as well - 120-135 grams per day ;) I just do not see how I can fit carbs in my diet if I want to keep high level of proteins within my calorie bounderies of 1200 cal

Bit excessive on the protein, but 120g = 480 calories (40% of 1200) would allow 50g of carbs (200 calories) and just under 58g of fats/oils to make the 1200.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    For a person who constantly eats, low carb diet works the best

You are doing low carb for 5 weeks?

That's doomed to failure isn't it?

You are so right! I think it is my 4th attempt now.. I should mentioned that I am getting married at the beginning of August! And I have just few weeks to get back to shape! So can't really keep on trying and have to be strong and consistent with my diet!

Since this is your 4th attempt it's obvious low carb isn't working for you. Why not try something new like CICO?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I think I would have same 4 attempts with any other diet as I wasn't serious about it.. I thought- oh, I have plenty of months to go so I can do it easily! But now with just few weeks left I need some extra support to keep on going... I think low carb works better for me just because I love salads and meat! So it was quite easy to follow it, I just have to be careful with all the allurements around me.. And again! Portions CONTROL!!! I just can't stop when I start! Do not feel when I am full

If you love salads and meat and non-carby or low carb things in general then why are you on your 4th try?

Shouldn't this be a non-issue????
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started low carb upon doctor recommendation (due to insulin resistance issues) August 2013. I was able to lose all my weight, and have been in maintenance since last Sept. I've had no problems remaining there. But it's not a plan you can use to lose the weight and then go back to your previous eating habits. It is a change in lifestyle ... like forever. Otherwise, you're going to just regain everything. And along with the low carb, you're also going to have to monitor calorie intake. At least I had to, and that too was what my dr's plan was and I followed. Also with low carb, you have to have high fat, and high protein. Otherwise, you are doomed to fail. There is a good internet site called "authoritynutrition" that has a lot of good information. I would recommend it. You can friend me if you'd like.
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I guess my biggest problem with this is that you've had months to do this but only now are buckling down to try and get in shape. Low carb isn't easy but I know people who do it and have had success. With that said, cut my carbs and I'm likely to kill someone :) Eat at a deficit, move more and the weight will fall. Take it from someone who's kept all of her weight off for years. This isn't something you do in a few weeks and for one occasion, this is something you do for life! Going to extremes won't get you the changes you want but dedication, determination and common sense will :)

Oh, you are so right! I started 4or 5 moths before my wedding, lost weight was happy and gained it all back again.. Lost weight and gained it back.. I guess it's just me being weak without knowing how to maintain those results.. But I hope I learned my lesson by now and will be stronger now
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I guess my biggest problem with this is that you've had months to do this but only now are buckling down to try and get in shape. Low carb isn't easy but I know people who do it and have had success. With that said, cut my carbs and I'm likely to kill someone :) Eat at a deficit, move more and the weight will fall. Take it from someone who's kept all of her weight off for years. This isn't something you do in a few weeks and for one occasion, this is something you do for life! Going to extremes won't get you the changes you want but dedication, determination and common sense will :)

Oh, you are so right! I started 4or 5 moths before my wedding, lost weight was happy and gained it all back again.. Lost weight and gained it back.. I guess it's just me being weak without knowing how to maintain those results.. But I hope I learned my lesson by now and will be stronger now

No one automatically knows how to maintain weight lost.

It's not weakness or strength to maintain weight lost.

It's not about learning a lesson to maintain weight lost.

It's about lifestyle changes. If you plan on being low carb for the rest of your life (more than 5 weeks) or if you plan on incorporating low carb days....for the rest of your life. Then you are practicing lifestyle changes. By taking carbs out of the equation temporarily.....you will experience temporary results.
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ailsadell wrote: »
    I began a low carb diet several months ago now, and within 6 weeks had a loss of almost a stone. I'm 5'4 and initially started at 148lb... I can not exercise as I have ME/CFS and my calculations said at a sedentary lifestyle my body will need just over 1200 calories a day (can't remember exact figure) ... I read I need a deficit of around 500 cals for a 1lb per week loss.... Many say this is unhealthy!!...

However, I simply cut out bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal and haven't looked back. I think it's a very psychological thing to think the plate looks "wrong" without the high carb there, but you quickly get used to it and substitute pasta say for noodled zucchini. I eat a full selection of salad and vegetables (occasionally having sweet potato) and stick with lean meats like chicken and beef. I simply can't get my head around the fact of eating lots of fats like the really low carbers do,

BUT, the main thing is it's worked for me... It's extremely sustainable so can not for the life of me understand the thinking of many on here why it couldn't be... I eat three huge meals a day, am never hungry, and calories average out to 800-1000 a day depending on what I choose to eat. ... Yes I weigh everything!..... On a low calorie (high sugar /carb containing) diet my food amounts per calorie would seem a lot less in proportion to low carb options so I see this as a no brainer...

OP.... Do it, it works... And all the best to you xx

Hi! Thank you for your kind advice! I am on the mission of finding right reciepies now
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I began a low carb diet several months ago now, and within 6 weeks had a loss of almost a stone. I'm 5'4 and initially started at 148lb... I can not exercise as I have ME/CFS and my calculations said at a sedentary lifestyle my body will need just over 1200 calories a day (can't remember exact figure) ... I read I need a deficit of around 500 cals for a 1lb per week loss.... Many say this is unhealthy!!...

However, I simply cut out bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/cereal and haven't looked back. I think it's a very psychological thing to think the plate looks "wrong" without the high carb there, but you quickly get used to it and substitute pasta say for noodled zucchini. I eat a full selection of salad and vegetables (occasionally having sweet potato) and stick with lean meats like chicken and beef. I simply can't get my head around the fact of eating lots of fats like the really low carbers do,

BUT, the main thing is it's worked for me... It's extremely sustainable so can not for the life of me understand the thinking of many on here why it couldn't be... I eat three huge meals a day, am never hungry, and calories average out to 800-1000 a day depending on what I choose to eat. ... Yes I weigh everything!..... On a low calorie (high sugar /carb containing) diet my food amounts per calorie would seem a lot less in proportion to low carb options so I see this as a no brainer...

Hi! Thank you for your kind advice! I am on the mission of finding right reciepies now

You're thanking someone for telling you to under eat?
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do not think that I need to change a lifestyle as I always eat healthy and do a lot of sports.. My weight is stable but not ideal.. Currently I am trying to find a diet which I will enjoy following and will help me to achieve my weight goal. I guess I have to try and see what is working best for me- now I know that I do not any cravings for carbs and can easily leave on veggies and meet, I am more of a sweet eater
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    edited June 2015
    Options
    and huge portions eater :) I just believe that meat and veggies is the healthiest food person can eat, so I call it low carb as I will try not to add any carbs to my diet expect the ones which are already in vegetables and beans
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

You're thanking someone for telling you to under eat?

Thanking on zucchini pasta idea and her frank message
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options
    Ok, today I was good so far :) eat plenty of veggies and meat, also finished the humous I made yesterday which pushed my carbs to 87 grams today. Didn't know that beans have so much carbs! But they are a good source of protein! Did you remove beans from your diet?!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    No beans for me.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If low carb is too hard to stick to try carb cycling like a plan done by chris powell in his book choose more lose more for life. It is so easy! Easy to understand and not complicated no carb counting and there is a day you can have whatever you want in reason. I do the turbo cycle and have lost 20 + lbs on it. Its the only diet I've done that doesn't feel like a diet.
  • Blondie9292
    Blondie9292 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet I did it for two month stared in January I didn't loose anything. Then I added counting calories 1200. A day. I have now lost 20lbs. My suggestion is do the low carb but watch your calories too. I was eating a lot of salad but I was consuming too many calories eating a lot of meat it was too much! Good luck stick with it you will do ok. Drink a ton of water every day!
  • KarinasPerfectBody
    Options

I don't work out a specific plan exactly. I take it day by day watching the calories I'm eating and just don't allow starches, sugars and grains in my diet. So basically, if it has no or super low carbs, I can easily include it in my eating. I have a lot of meat, cheese, eggs and green vegetables. You don't have to be as carb strict as I am to get success with low carb. It's just my personal choice and I'm very happy with my decision. I don't eat fruit except some berries. That's not necessary for low carb in general, just the level I choose that works for me. Eventually, at goal weight, I may relax my carb intake a bit... But I'll figure out if that works for me then.
    Anyway, here is what the past months average calories have been for me.
    yi0eyg4og8xz.jpg
    Had no struggle with hunger during any of it.

Hi! Oh wow! Well done! Seems that your protein intake is quite huge! How long have you been doing it for? I heard that such diet might be harmful for your kidneys? How do you feel?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My daily average for protein is only 70g. That's a good amount to ward off muscle loss for me. Certainly not a huge amount.
    No reason to worry about kidney damage at all. I have no kidney disease.