Name one misconception you had which posting on MFP has cleared up.

Options
I thought this might be fun... but please! No bickering!!! I want to show what a great learning tool MFP can be. If you learned multiple things, just make a different post, so we have quick reads. TLDR's would be boring, I think.

I learned that I didn't know what simple and complex carbohydrates really were. My apple that I thought was complex? Simple. That white bread? Complex.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That a food scale would't help me lose weight.

Turns out it's the best health-related purchase I've ever made. $14 well spent.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I thought MFP was a fitness site, but threads about fitness and losing weight get nuked while the confessions thread continues unabated. That misconception has definitely been cleared up.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    That using a food scale and logging accurately were difficult and obsessive. Instead, it's easy and fast. Who knew?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    That I had to eat next to nothing consisting of "rabbit food" (AKA salads) to lose weight and that the foods I love were "bad" for me.

As it turns out, there's no bad foods. Food is just food. Food has calories. Calories are a unit of energy. The human body needs calories to exist.
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That I could only eat 1200 calories if I wanted to lose weight . Turns out I can eat about 1500 and if I move more I can eat more!!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    That a food scale would't help me lose weight.

Turns out it's the best health-related purchase I've ever made. $14 well spent.

Right?

And that I would have to eat no more than 1200 calories to lose weight. My doctor told me that one.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    That I didn't get fat because I stayed up late and ate right before going to bed.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I thought you had to eat 1200 calories to lose. I know some do, but I learned I could eat more and still lose.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have learned a lot about HRMs and when they are, and are not, useful.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I had bought into the low-carb crap. Glad I figured that one out.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I thought I had eliminate entire food groups. Now I realize I can have anything I want as long as I am focusing on moderation and keeping in mind my calories/macros.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That cleanses are a waste of perfectly good toilet paper.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thought MFP was a fitness site, but threads about fitness and losing weight get nuked while the confessions thread continues unabated. That misconception has definitely been cleared up.

This, for one. But the forums in general are a bit disheartening. I used to spend time on the bodybuilding.com forums, but eventually left because I got tired of the attitudes of superiority toward people were less informed (the casual misogyny didn't help either). I thought this place would be better, but it really isn't. I guess I was just expecting more positivity. That one's mostly on me.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I learnt that a cup isn't always the same weight. I've been here since I was young and naive, and as a baker, cups are everything, so I never really thought about it. Now I know there can be a massive difference in a 1 cup serving measured and 1 cup serving weighed.

ETA: I don't actually use cups for anything anymore, except as tiny bowls when cooking.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That I had to change everything about the way I ate to lose weight and be healthy.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    That I could know how many calories I was consuming by eyeballing. I had no idea! Weighing everything makes so much sense.