Name one misconception you had which posting on MFP has cleared up.

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That we're all one big happy family.

No, that doesn't happen in real life either.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    "Just eat healthy foods and you'll lose weight. No weighing or measuring needed!"
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to workout in my target heart rate zone to burn fat. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. The more calories out, the more fat/weight I lose.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    I learned "mean" people give the best information, words that one can actually live by and succeed with.

Before that I 'believed' that 1200 cal was all I could ever eat, strength training was not that important (boy was I wrong there), weight loss is linear and evenly predictable over the weeks ie. MFP's weight prediction should be true damn it.

What can I say I was a dumb bum.....now not so much.

We care more about helping you than your feelings. Sorry....not Sorry......

This poster was actually agreeing with this, not complaining.

Yes, correct.

Adding why we do what we do.

And for that I thank everyone who has taken the time to impart their wisdom.

.....Adding that "mean" members aren't actually that way at all - They are just crusty and tired from repeating themselves over and over, trying to help others step away from the misconceptions like mine and others mentioned in this thread.

Another misconception - If said *insert diet/shake/detox/program/losing huuuge amounts of weight in small time frame* sounds too good to be true it is....
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I learned (or rather choose to believe) that it does not matter what time of day you take in your calories (in reference to weight loss).

I also learned that forum veterans do not necessarily know how to recognize troll/reaction posts.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    That I don't have to workout in my target heart rate zone to burn fat. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. The more calories out, the more fat/weight I lose.

This too.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    That I needed to eat only crap like kale to lose weight. I'm a much nicer and happier person since I've learned to moderate my intake of amazing things, like gelato, that I love.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    That I needed to eat only crap like kale to lose weight. I'm a much nicer and happier person since I've learned to moderate my intake of amazing things, like gelato, that I love.

Hellllz to the yeah! A "diet" where I can have bacon and Tillamook ice cream in the same day, and not be cheating, is the best thing since sliced bread. (come to think of it...I could have bacon ON Tillamook ice cream)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sugar kills your father and rapes your mother. Sugar does, in fact, do neither. Also, dogs do not lay eggs.

Hilarious!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I don't even understand Kale. I mean, Romaine Lettuce offers more, nutritionally than Kale.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Hellllz to the yeah! A "diet" where I can have bacon and Tillamook ice cream in the same day, and not be cheating, is the best thing since sliced bread. (come to think of it...I could have bacon ON Tillamook ice cream)

The fact that I'm not forcing myself to be miserable because of what I'm eating was a game changer in this being a task to this being something I'm doing willingly. The other was realizing that one bad day, or even two or three bad days in a row, was not going to land me back at 204 pounds. That psychological freedom changed my views 180 degrees.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    That yo-yo dieting shot my metabolism to heck and menopause means that I cannot lose weight.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    that I didnt have a "set weight". Oh and the food scale. OMG the food scale is so awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I learned what lifting heavy was and discovered SL 5x5 and other similar programs.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I was reminded of the existence of Talenti gelato and learned that I should try Jeni's.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I also believed in naturally thin people, and naturally fat people. Regardless of caloric intake, a naturally thin person will always be thin. LOL LOL LOL
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I learned (and researched a bit more to confirm) that it's generally fine to cook with olive oil.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    That a crappy thyroid wasn't dooming me to failure.