Cottage cheese ideas

Options
IreneM99
IreneM99 Posts: 11 Member
I usually just mix cottage cheese with a tablespoon of peanut butter but I'm looking for some new ideas :)

Replies

• MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cottage cheese with a tiny bit of salt and pepper with a slice of cheese and on a saltine cracker. I told my boyfriend that and he said, "Ewwwww!" Lol I also like it with fruit puree like peach or mango.
  • IreneM99
    IreneM99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lol that sounds intriguing!
  • Cass2025
    Cass2025 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cottage cheese with blueberries,sliced strawberries and just a little bit of cinnamon, my favorite :)
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    cottage cheese with toasted bread ;)

Edit: OH! Try cottage cheese with figs. yum!!
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I like cottage cheese with applesauce, weird perhaps but tasty :p I also mix it with salsa for a creamy dip or salad dressing. I have put it on top of a baked potato with veggies or a bit of chili, of course I have put it on toast with some tomato slices basil and fresh pepper, and sometimes use it instead of oil in cake mixes or muffins. I have also used it with flaked salmon or tuna instead of mayo and some chopped scallions or chives, and instead of greek yogurt with lemon juice, cucumbers, and fresh dill for a tzaziki dip. I have also mixed it into marinara sauce for pasta to make it creamy. Caution with that or it may end up the color of bubble gum :)

On a side note, I have never ever had it with peanut butter. I may try it on a brave day :)

PS mom uses it for a spinach mushroom onion dip, and has made something she calls cottage cheese pie. It gets a bit weird/sweet when baked like that, but pretty tasty.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I love it in place of salad dressing. Love it with pineapple or berries. Probably best with just a bit of black pepper, halved cherry or grape tomatoes and diced banana peppers!
  • karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My favorite is cottage cheese with half an avocado, sliced cucumber, and cherry tomatoes topped with a bit of fresh black pepper!
  • healthfulchoices
    healthfulchoices Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love it with sliced apples or sliced peaches.
  • JeanieTowne
    JeanieTowne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love it on Tricuits, the Rye and Caraway variety is best! Yummy!
  • irisgal345
    irisgal345 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of a cinnamon bun cottage cheese. Just add in cinnamon, pecans, and touch of sweetener of choice. I use honey!
  • fitchickarw
    fitchickarw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, with plain greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder, strawberries, and a touch of honey. eat alone or with graham crackers - tastes like cheese cake and is a great post workout meal. for something with a little more weight - try adding raw oats. Let it set in the fridge over night (oats will soak up any liquid and soften).

we use cottage cheese a lot in the summer. I enjoy it on top of a grilled hamburger with a slice of tomato or mixed into browned ground meat with veggies.

important - always measure/weigh it out. it's very easy to over indulge and take in too much sodium. ;)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand the cottage cheese/savory foods combo. I mean I know it's "cheese". For me, nothing but fruit in there.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I also like it with applesauce, like someone else mentioned. Or canned mandarin oranges.

But my current love affair with cottage cheese involves honey and dark cocoa powder. Mmmmmmm. Sometimes I mix in protein powder, but if I put in too much powder it gets too thick and grosses me out.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    One of my awesome fitness pals eats it as a dip with ruffles. So I started doing this. Definitely one of the tastiest ways to eat it, and a really good macro ratio for me.
  • carole4000
    carole4000 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I love it in place of salad dressing. Love it with pineapple or berries. Probably best with just a bit of black pepper, halved cherry or grape tomatoes and diced banana peppers!

May have to try this! :)
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like it in savory items too. Think about it as you put it in dips etc. I have made bowls with a scoop of cottage cheese then topped with savory things. For example:

Spinach+Artichokes+Roasted Red Peppers+ Cottage Cheese
    Tomatoes+Green Chilies+Cheddar Cheese+Cilantro+Cottage Cheese+Baked Corn Chips
    Onions+Peppers+Mushrooms+Black Olives+ Pizza Sauce+Cottage Cheese

5lsgtv1358ik.jpg
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »

Brilliant! I never thought to throw some in my salad. With some fruit mixed in that's a real winner. Raspberries with cottage cheese are my favorite.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    irisgal345 wrote: »
    I'm fond of a cinnamon bun cottage cheese. Just add in cinnamon, pecans, and touch of sweetener of choice. I use honey!

This sounds amazing too.
  • mckgirl12
    mckgirl12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little weird but I love it on top of a rice cake with a slice of fresh tomato!