Full fat or low fat Greek yogurt

Options
hippytee
hippytee Posts: 249 Member
bearing in mind I'm after losing body fat increasing muscle mass,,, getting lean again

Replies

• slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that fat doesn't make you fat. Going over your calories makes you fat. So whichever greek yogurt fits your macros.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

This article seems to break it down fairly well
  • hippytee
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    Thanks for input i ll read later ,, body attack awaits
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't care. I'm not a fan of yogurt.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    slw5X5 wrote: »
    Keep in mind that fat doesn't make you fat. Going over your calories makes you fat. So whichever greek yogurt fits your macros.

^This.

I'd eat full fat for the flavor and texture, but for the amount of calories I can afford, I need the protein. I choose 2%. I get fat from other sources. You might have a bigger calorie budget than I do and make a different choice.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    For me 2% doesn't fill me up more than 0%, so I go with 0%. I eat it for the protein too so I'm not interested in the full fat stuff... unless it's Fage classic fruyo once in a while (the blackberry/lime one. So good. So many calories).
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I end getting a 4% fat vanilla greek yogurt and it is the BEST greek yogurt I have ever had. I find it filling, delicious, and I usually add it to fruit or my oatmeal. It is higher in calories but I usually don't eat a lot of it at once.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of full fat a bit better, but for the protein, fat free is the best. For 130 calories, I can have 1 measured cup of fat free with 24 grams protein, or for 220 calories I can have 1 measured cup full fat Fage with 20 grams protein. It's also much cheaper for fat free because I can get a 32oz container at Aldis for 3.69.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    hippytee wrote: »
    bearing in mind I'm after losing body fat increasing muscle mass,,, getting lean again

dietary fat doesn't make you fat...it is an essential macro-nutrient...highly essential. That said, I opt for no fat greek yogurt because I like spending my calories and dietary fat elsewhere. But for your stated goals, it's irrelevant.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What you like and what fits your macros based on your overall diet.

I tend to like lowfat and skim yogurt as much as full fat so use it as a low fat protein source a lot. I don't avoid fat, but just prefer to get it in other foods. (I'm never at a loss as to how to eat enough fat.)
  • hippytee
    Options
    I don't care. I'm not a fan of yogurt.

❤️ IT ❤️IT But I'm craving some
  • hippytee
    Options
    Ice cream n banana ☀️y here still in UK
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy 0% because I mix it with PB2 and like to eat high volume...but then complain about my fat intake being too low. Just find a balance that works for you and make sure you're hitting your macros. I decided to find fat somewhere else because even bumping it up to 2% didn't make that much difference fat wise, and didn't taste any better.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Whatever you like eating. I tend to get 0 or 2% MF Greek yogurt. I get plenty of fat from other sources.
  • hippytee
    Options
    Full fat tastes so much better, I've been having the reduced fat one not as nice,
    Lot of hype about reduced fat / sugary foods,,

Was watching a guy on This Morning a few days ago,, he only ate reduced fat reduced sugar, 0 sugar foods, non fat foods, was into his fitness ,, healthy eating ect and almost died as a result ,

Manufacturers put more sugar in the reduced versions anyway,
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Full fat tastes so much better, I've been having the reduced fat one not as nice,

Was watching a guy on This Morning a few days ago,, he only ate reduced fat reduced sugar, 0 sugar foods, non fat foods, was into his fitness ,, healthy eating ect and almost died as a result ,

If you mean dairy, no, they don't. They take out the fat, that's all. More of the calories in low and no fat dairy is from protein or carbs, since fewer are from fat, but the overall amount of sugar in 100 grams of yogurt or milk would be very close, regardless of fat content.

It's bad for you to cut fat too low, but I don't see anyone here advising that.

If you like full fat much better, though, I agree that for you it's probably worth cutting calories elsewhere or eating less to fit it in.

(I think society has moved on from demonizing fat to demonizing sugar, also. I choose to abstain from all of that.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yeah I keep hearing about that 'more sugar in reduced fat versions' thing but it's just not true for dairy products.

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    slw5X5 wrote: »

^This.

I'd eat full fat for the flavor and texture, but for the amount of calories I can afford, I need the protein. I choose 2%. I get fat from other sources. You might have a bigger calorie budget than I do and make a different choice.

Double this ^^^^
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do 0% mainly because I want to get my fat from yummy things like peanut butter, avocados etc. I keep my fat below 30% of my nutritionals. My rule of thumb is carbs 45%, protein 30 and fat 25 give or take a gram here and there.
  • hippytee
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I do 0% mainly because I want to get my fat from yummy things like peanut butter, avocados etc. I keep my fat below 30% of my nutritionals. My rule of thumb is carbs 45%, protein 30 and fat 25 give or take a gram here and there.

This discussion has been closed.