Boyfriend thinks I spend too much time on MFP

Options
So my boyfriend thinks Im spending too much time on MFP. Hes a comedian and he thinks its funny to call it "My Fat-*kitten* Pals" but dont get too offended he also calls his gym "24 Hour Fatness"...All I can say is I prefer this place to facebook, and yea, I have been on here a lot. But there's a reason, I feel at home here. In a world that's full of skinny supermodels and sz 2 barbie dolls, I need a place where I can work on me without feeling judged. I think my bf thinks Im obsessed with food, and while I am obsessed~ at least now its a healthy obsession to eat right and work out. I cant help that my new compulsion looks a lot like my old one. And Im not sorry Im on here so much..you guys keep me going, inspired..has anyone else had this with their significant others?

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    He hated it until he discovered I do less online shopping when I am active here :)
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Don't worry unless you're like surfing MFP while ur hanging out with ur bf and not really conversating with him because of it.
    He's probably a little jealous that you're trying to get your stuff together and maybe paying him less attention
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    He hated it until he discovered I do less online shopping when I am active here :)

Nice! I keep hoping that as he sees me achieving my fitness goals he'll understand it more..
    Options
    Don't worry unless you're like surfing MFP while ur hanging out with ur bf and not really conversating with him because of it.
    He's probably a little jealous that you're trying to get your stuff together and maybe paying him less attention

I have been online at the same time we are on the phone...we are long distance right now, and we are both guilty of multitasking on the phone...your point's received though, I hope jealousy's not a factor..
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

Nice! I keep hoping that as he sees me achieving my fitness goals he'll understand it more..

He will eventually realize you are happier and look better. Then he will be begging you to keep working out & tracking calories :)
    Options

He will eventually realize you are happier and look better. Then he will be begging you to keep working out & tracking calories :)

I hope you're right! :)
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I hope you're right! :)

My fiance keeps the kids and the dogs away when I'm doing a dvd and even cooked dinner for our kids the first few weeks I started back up so I wouldn't be tempted to eat diet killers. This is guy who can barely boil water :) It might take a while but when he sees the ppositive effect on you, his attitude will change.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with online support
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That's silly and it's called jealousy.........
    Options

hes actually quite controlling...which I dont always mind LOL
  • Winston1717
    Winston1717 Posts: 184
    Options
    If you do not take care of yourself and become the healthy person you want to be...your not going to be happy and in the long run neither will he. Do what you need to do!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Dump him.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

This.

Or you could poison him or something.

I would use narcotics so people just think it's an overdose.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    hes actually quite controlling...which I dont always mind LOL

:blushing:
    I was gonna say If I had a man, Id def rather be w/him then online.
    I also like a controlling man. Im a freak like that. :ohwell:
    MFP is a nice outlet, let it be just that an outlet, I wouldn't let it get in the way of your relationship.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

This.

In for conspiracy
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If I had a man, which I do, I'd know that you can't spend every waking moment gazing into each others eyes or touching each others gentles.

So yeah we all have hobbies and endeavors and need support in different ways, and yes it took my SO awhile to get used to my new online habits and eating habits but I was online way before MFP with polyvore, pillsbury, and my work website, so it's not that big a difference to him.

It's just that I never did facebook, so he sees a different dynamic here than those other places which were less newsfeedy and more just plain posty. The real glitch was really him thinking he could or should choose my workout/eating plans for me cause he can try to be controlly sometimes too, don't know that many SO's that aren't a little bit this way. So yeah once we got our ducks in a row it's all good. He'll get used to it as long as you don't start carrying your food scale into restaurants and breaking into the MFP anthem before dinner at the in-laws he'll get it, that it's just a tool. And some supportive people.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Dump him.

This.

In for conspiracy

Oh wait, what? Theres another option? IN for this shenanigans.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    So my boyfriend thinks Im spending too much time on MFP.

Does your husband think the same thing? They might be correct. How much time do you spend here during a day?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    But there's a reason, I feel at home here. In a world that's full of skinny supermodels and sz 2 barbie dolls, I need a place where I can work on me without feeling judged.

Where is this fabled wonderland of non-judgment again?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    If he has issues, tell him to set up his OWN page and see how he holds out.